English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 12 January 2021, 20:36   #1
rabidgerry

WHD - Slave Upgrade notification

How do I upgrade my WHD slaves using these options? The "update slave" and "Update WHD load"

Obviously I only get these notifications when I am online but it would be cool to know what I need to implement in order for them to do whatever it is they are supposed to do. Open the link to the slave is that right?

Thanks in advance

P.S Of course I know what to do manually to upgrade these.
Old 12 January 2021, 20:45   #2
Radertified

Whoah! I didn't know this was a thing!
Old 12 January 2021, 21:09   #3
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radertified View Post
Whoah! I didn't know this was a thing!
Yes it is a thing. I think I originally thought it did it all automatically but I don't think it goes as far as that, but even if it doesn't it's still dam useful now I've got one Amiga online.

They are defo buttons and they should be doing something.....either that or I'm tripping
Old 12 January 2021, 22:00   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

You need openurl.library, then you can click the buttons and they'll open your browser and navigate to the WHDLoad site where you can update WHDLoad and/or the slave.
Old 12 January 2021, 22:13   #5
crazyc

But dont get too excited, if I remember correctly it just takes you to the site, it doesn't upgrade the slave itself.
Old 13 January 2021, 10:31   #6
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
You need openurl.library, then you can click the buttons and they'll open your browser and navigate to the WHDLoad site where you can update WHDLoad and/or the slave.
I'm going to assume that's in libraries? Forgive my lack of knowledge here

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
But dont get too excited, if I remember correctly it just takes you to the site, it doesn't upgrade the slave itself.
Yes I know you told me that, but that is better than nothing.

However....

It seems it might be a little pointless for me after all.

And I know CrazyC you told me about this before too, but if it keeps crashing whilst loading a game it's really only good for alerting you a new version exists then you need to quit out of the game. And then if you disable network in WHD load preferences (CrazyC also informed me of this) to avoid crashes then you are never going to see the update message in the first place as when you run WHD it will turn your network off

Funny how it doesn't seem to crash in WINUAE. Perhaps that's a stupid comparison.
Old 13 January 2021, 10:40   #7
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
I'm going to assume that's in libraries? Forgive my lack of knowledge here

The library needs to be copied to the "Libs" directory. It can be downloaded from Aminet, you can then simply run the installer which is included in the package and everything should be copied to the correct location.

Quote:
It seems it might be a little pointless for me after all.

And I know CrazyC you told me about this before too, but if it keeps crashing whilst loading a game it's really only good for alerting you a new version exists then you need to quit out of the game.
That's what the "ExecuteCleanup" is for, it is used to enable the IP-stack which was disabled by the "ExecuteStartup" command. Check the WHDLoad documentation for more information.

Last edited by StingRay; 13 January 2021 at 10:50. Reason: info about ExecuteCleanup/Startup added
Old 13 January 2021, 10:58   #8
crazyc

Hi Gerry,

No, whdload turns off the network after running the updatecheck.
At least that is how it works on mine.
It all seems to work smoothly although i don't have the open url thing installed on my checkmate yet to test the rest out. The update checks work fine.
It then re enables the network on the way out.
Old 13 January 2021, 13:42   #9
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
The library needs to be copied to the "Libs" directory. It can be downloaded from Aminet, you can then simply run the installer which is included in the package and everything should be copied to the correct location.

That's what the "ExecuteCleanup" is for, it is used to enable the IP-stack which was disabled by the "ExecuteStartup" command. Check the WHDLoad documentation for more information.
Nice one thanks for that info. I will have a look at this. It's almost certain I will have some more stupid questions

Quote:
Hi Gerry,

No, whdload turns off the network after running the updatecheck.
At least that is how it works on mine.
It all seems to work smoothly although i don't have the open url thing installed on my checkmate yet to test the rest out. The update checks work fine.
It then re enables the network on the way out.
Seemed to crash mine yesterday a few times on trial. I will mess around with it somemore.
Old 13 January 2021, 17:37   #10
rabidgerry

Hmm installing openurl.library didn't seem to do anything. I'll try on my real Amiga later.
Old 13 January 2021, 19:03   #11
crazyc

Ok, I just got the openurl thing working on my checkmate. I installed it using the installer which didn't go well and the prefs crashed every time I ran it. Manually copied over the prefs file and it works. Then got some hints re setting up ibrowse and remembering to make it enabled, and it all works.
Old 13 January 2021, 19:07   #12
rabidgerry

Quote:
Ok, I just got the openurl thing working on my checkmate. I installed it using the installer which didn't go well and the prefs crashed every time I ran it. Manually copied over the prefs file and it works. Then got some hints re setting up ibrowse and remembering to make it enabled, and it all works.
Didn't go well I did it manually and then got paranoid I missed something and then did the installer for good measure!

So when I get openurl it's not just a case of installing I need to configure it?

Also what version of open url did you use? I see one already on my Classic WB libraries but I installed over the top of it with v7.8
Old 13 January 2021, 19:36   #13
crazyc

I installed 7.8 from aminet over the top of whatever I had.
I will show you my settings for openurl in prefs. Make sure the one you want to use has a green light next to it
That and set the path correctly to the browser you are using.
Old 13 January 2021, 19:58   #14
crazyc

And got it working with aweb as well. Both browsers take 8 to 10 seconds to come up after clicking the button on the whdload pop-up. (On my checkmate)
Old 13 January 2021, 21:43   #15
rabidgerry

Got so far by myself but I read in the instructions it said Arexx port to just put in "browser".

I hadn't filled in the other fields as I had no clue what went in there.

Does yours still crash the games now?

I'll fiddle around with these a bit more and report back.
Old 13 January 2021, 22:55   #16
crazyc

Mine all works fine. You use aweb from memory? Here are my functional aweb settings, and also the two whdload files to cleanup and startup, as well as my whdload prefs.
I should probably start and stop the usb as well now the rapid road is fitted actually.
Note my startup and cleanup work with roadshow, a different stack might need slightly different commands.

Last edited by crazyc; 13 January 2021 at 23:00.
Old 14 January 2021, 19:45   #17
rabidgerry

I dunno about you but whoever writes the guides, writes them for people who already know what they are doing. So I've found the example startup and cleanup scripts. So no idea what to do now as you show above there is just a list of options none of which are applicable to me and my setup. So am I supposed to pick one of those and enter in MiamDX or something and then prey? They all appear to be doing different things so say I picked the roadshow one and then substituted in MiamDX is that going to work or do something?

Also yours looks different from mine, mine has more text and some "if" statements and the top and bottom of either script.

One thing I have done is uncommented the statements within WHD prefs.
Old 14 January 2021, 22:53   #18
crazyc

OK - so your whdload prefs should look similar to mine, and you have just uncommented the two lines re the execute startup and clean up.

For miami - dont put the roadshow commands, just try uncommenting the relevant lines about c:rx etc to start stop the IP stack.
cant remember what I used for Miami now, but that might work.
Old 15 January 2021, 17:58   #19
rabidgerry

believe it or not my own basic logic had me uncomment out those lines already. But it didn't work.

and

Old 15 January 2021, 18:08   #20
rabidgerry