English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 03 March 2015, 19:02   #41
Cherno

Great success! My runtime object streamer works Now I'm gonna change the terrain generation so it generates in Editing mode (when the game is not running), so I can place buildings etc. without having to code a seperate in-game level editor, and have my world persists without having to save it to a file.
Old 04 March 2015, 19:17   #42
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i used to love that little red truck, best of all the vehicles. Don't know why. I thought it was cute.
Old 04 March 2015, 23:01   #43
Cherno

Well, it's not that little, it drives slow as hell and has a horrible turning radius... But the engine sound is excellent!
Old 04 March 2015, 23:29   #44
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

it will always be little to me, forever in my heart
Old 05 March 2015, 11:16   #45
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

This project actually poked my brain into remembering a little project called Outerra:

http://www.outerra.com/

Imagine having to solve the problems listed in this thread with terrabytes of Earth's geography data
Old 05 March 2015, 11:19   #46
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
This project actually poked my brain into remembering a little project called Outerra:

http://www.outerra.com/

Imagine having to solve the problems listed in this thread with terrabytes of Earth's geography data

I just read that elite: dangerous universe is so big - if you visit each world for 2min and never repeat it would take 1.5M years to explore everywhere.

Must be procedurally generated.
Old 05 March 2015, 11:27   #47
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post

Must be procedurally generated.
Yes and no; its based on real Milky Way data for planets, stars and positioning but most of what is in that vast amount of space is procedurally generated.
Old 05 March 2015, 21:26   #48
Cherno

"Poor man" my ass, there's a ginormous bag of SWAG sitting right next to you! THE AUDACITY!

This is the same (kinda) scene from the original game:

Last edited by Cherno; 07 October 2015 at 20:57.
Old 05 March 2015, 23:12   #49
BobRedthorp
Huge member

This.... is.... Amazing!!!!
Old 06 March 2015, 02:41   #50
Cherno

Thanks. My little quest system is working good so far, by the way. Now I have to write the GUI for the inventory system, pretty easy as the inventory itself is already in place.
Old 10 March 2015, 02:08   #51
Cherno

Inching forward to the first proper demo release...

Current task: Implementing some weapons. Planned so far is the pistol, assault rifle (M16A2), missile launcher (AT-4, but possibly guided), a sniper rifle and maybe hand grenades.

Also implemented is the round minimap with variable range. The compass bar has become somewhat superfluous so maybe I will get rid of it, make it optional, or tie it to a special item. Having one icon on teh compass bar for every building and vehicle is too much clutter anyway, and objects are too spread out and placed to randomly to use "points of interest" as in Fallout 3/NV and Skyrim.

Also², I am currently working on a pixelization script that renders the game at 256x256 or similar to give that really old-school feeling of playing the Amiga with a crappy CRT monitor

Edit: Enemy (red) uniform is also kind of implemented, but there is no item for it yet.

Last edited by Cherno; 07 October 2015 at 20:58.
Old 10 March 2015, 07:28   #52
BobRedthorp
Huge member

Really looking forward to trying it out, is there an option to invert the mouse (Y axis)?
Old 10 March 2015, 08:03   #53
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
Inching forward to the first proper demo release...

Current task: Implementing some weapons. Planned so far is the pistol, assault rifle (M16A2), missile launcher (AT-4, but possibly guided), a sniper rifle and maybe hand grenades.

Also implemented is the round minimap with variable range. The compass bar has become somewhat superfluous so maybe I will get rid of it, make it optional, or tie it to a special item. Having one icon on teh compass bar for every building and vehicle is too much clutter anyway, and objects are too spread out and placed to randomly to use "points of interest" as in Fallout 3/NV and Skyrim.

Also², I am currently working on a pixelization script that renders the game at 256x256 or similar to give that really old-school feeling of playing the Amiga with a crappy CRT monitor

Edit: Enemy (red) uniform is also kind of implemented, but there is no item for it yet.

Im salivating waiting to play a newer build.

Also i was going to ask about the music. Can you make a way to supply a mp3 for the title tune (the original tune is an Activision pro format) so i think its easier to supply it as a mp3 rather than support some weird esoteric player.

I also wouldn't bundle it with the tune as Activision would be the type to sue you.
Old 10 March 2015, 12:02   #54
Cherno

Thanks guys for your comments. It means much to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRedthorp View Post
Really looking forward to trying it out, is there an option to invert the mouse (Y axis)?
I will include this option in the next build (if I don't forget it )

Quote:
Im salivating waiting to play a newer build.

Also i was going to ask about the music. Can you make a way to supply a mp3 for the title tune (the original tune is an Activision pro format) so i think its easier to supply it as a mp3 rather than support some weird esoteric player.

I also wouldn't bundle it with the tune as Activision would be the type to sue you.
MP3s are supported by the Unity Engine. It's been a long time since I last worked on game sound effects, though.
Old 11 March 2015, 23:36   #55
Cherno

Hmm... I have a problem

The player/soldier model needs to be replaced because it is not possible to animate it satisfactory (not enough vertices in the shoulder area for deforming), and those wafer-thing arms look really bad. On the otehr hand, the model is iconic and I really like the blocky look. So now I'm pondering creating a new one outright that won't have any similarity with the original one, and with a higher poly count, or trying to somehow make animations and mesh deformations work with the old style... Which would probably lead to lots of mesh intersecting/overlapping, weird deformations, and overall shoddy appreance.
Old 17 March 2015, 01:50   #56
Cherno

Spent the last couple of days in a little test chamber of sorts with nothing but a character, a target and some weapons, trying to figure out how to script the shooting animations. I finally got it to work after some quite frustrating moments (Unity crashing randomly during runtime ad taking my two prefab weapons with it which I spent hours setting up!) Oh well. At least that chapter is pretty much behind me... I hope

Edit: New character model is also done, It looks very close to the old one but has arms that actually have some volume to them I opted for the cheap cop out of just making the arms seperate meshes not connected to the shoulders so there is no deformation problem, but it can looks pretty jagged at certain angles. Oh well, thats 1991 graphics for ya.
Old 19 March 2015, 23:24   #57
Cherno

Back with more good news: The results from the research lab (as outlines above) have been successfully integrated into the "real" environment. Now I have a pistol, assault rifle, sniper rifle, and a missile launcher with guided missiles. The sniper rifle has a scope, of course Who knows, maybe this weekend I will mange to complete teh current build and upload it. Stay tuned

The green box is just a debug thingy representing the camera frustrum (I made his shot from the scene window, not from the game window). Fun fact: first, I wanted to make the screenshot inside the church to show the pulpit and stained glass window in teh background, but after a few salvoes of the assault rifle the church blew up

Last edited by Cherno; 07 October 2015 at 20:59.
Old 19 March 2015, 23:40   #58
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
Fun fact: first, I wanted to make the screenshot inside the church to show the pulpit and stained glass window in teh background, but after a few salvoes of the assault rifle the church blew up

Lol
Old 20 March 2015, 00:40   #59
BobRedthorp
Huge member

Man, this is looking brilliant!
Old 20 March 2015, 00:53   #60
Cherno

Quote:
Lol
Suffice to say, the priest was not amused!

There was even a message "You destroyed a church! (- 200 points)".