English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 31 December 2020, 13:13   #1
ptyerman

Web Rendering Proxy. (WRP).

Just a heads up to anyone that isn't aware of this excellent most useful little program!
I've run it myself for a while but never commented on it until now.
I find it so useful and use it so often I would love to hear more people are using it and see the downloads for it skyrocket!
It runs 24/7 on my CCTV/server system along with a ftp server and other stuff so it's always available to all my retro machines!
I use it with my Amiga's, Windows 95, 98 & XP machines, my BeOS PC and on old Linux installs with ancient browsers like Konqueror.
It works a treat on all!

You run it on a modern PC or server then point your net connected retro computer to that PC, WRP will take any webpage, convert it to a GIF or PNG with clickable imagemap and send it to your Amiga or retro computer as a useable webpage. It's available on many OS's including Windows, Linux, BSD and Mac, and also runs on ARM architecture.
It's a open source program under the Apache-2.0 License so the source code is also available for download.
The website for it is at https://github.com/tenox7/wrp for anyone that wants to take a look.

Happy retro surfing!
Old 31 December 2020, 16:15   #2
kriz

Ah yea nice reminder for this, I need it setup here as well Anything you want to share about your setup and any tips you want to share for new wrp users ?
Old 01 January 2021, 02:08   #3
ptyerman

Nothing to share really. On Windows just download the binary and double click it to load, it will open a command prompt window and run in the background in that. The included readme tells you all that is needed to access it from you're retro/remote computer.
For such a useful piece of software it couldn't be easier or simpler to use!
The system I first ran it on was my main PC which is a Ryzen 9 CPU on a X570 Motherboard, it's now running on my CCTV/server system which is a AM2+ Motherboard and a AMD Phenom II CPU.
It is a bit slower to render on the CCTV/server with the DVR software running in the foreground but not much slower, a large webpage such as eBay or Amazon is about 2 or 3 seconds slower than it was on my Ryzen. It's still very usable, and quite lightweight software for what it does!
Old 01 January 2021, 10:43   #4
kriz

Sounds great, will report back
Old 01 January 2021, 14:40   #5
ptyerman

I've not run it in Linux yet but it's much the same according to the docs, except you open a terminal window and run it from there. You may have to make the WRP Linux binary executable first.
This little piece of software really has blown me away!
It's great surfing the web on my Amiga's and Windows 98 retro machine again!
Old 01 January 2021, 15:57   #6
trixster
Guru Meditating

Been using it for a while. would be better if it didnt refresh the entire page each time and only refreshed png for a small portion of the the page that's been interacted with
Old 01 January 2021, 17:32   #7
ptyerman

I set the page height to 0 from it's default 600, that way it renders the whole page at once instead of the set screen height & size of page you see on screen. You can scroll the whole page then without it having to refresh all the time.
Takes a second or two longer to render depending on the website and size of page but still quicker than dealing with the constant refresh while scrolling a restricted page height.
You have to have it set to render as PNG to use that feature.
Old 11 May 2022, 21:06   #8
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by michalenkolorri View Post
Thank you for sharing this useful program. In my opinion, this program can be very effective, especially while using it with the proper VPN programs, so you can hide your VPN with the additional security using this program.
Yeah, sure. What VPN do you use on your Amiga?
Old 15 May 2022, 10:38   #9
bni

I have made something similar a while back:
https://github.com/bni/retroproxy

It renders very simplified HTML instead of an image.