English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 20 May 2022, 18:27   #61
ImmortalA1000

I had to bin two A2000 motherboards due to battery corrosion damage, I kept the cases and all the other parts and pulled the chips I could from the boards though so it was literally just bare motherboards. I gave the bits out to other people as and when they needed them but still have the keyboards.
Old 21 May 2022, 12:39   #62
Stejjie

I threw away my A600 shortly after we got married in 2002/3; not out of choice particularly, but my wife was fairly insistent, especially after we got a new PC - and at t he time, it did kind of make sense. I wish I'd kept it, but I especially wish I'd kept the hard disk and floppies, as they had a load of stuff on that I'll never be able to re-create.
Old 13 June 2022, 18:38   #63
luncheon

no amigas, but i binned a 1084s-d2 monitor that was mistakenly connected to 220v being a 110v unit... still miss it
Old 02 August 2022, 16:10   #64
ImmortalA1000

Not an entire machine, two A2000s went bad about 2 decades ago so the motherboards were chucked. Gave the cases away and kept the mice and keyboards and hardcards/RAM boards.
Old 18 August 2022, 05:49   #65
whowasphone

My Dad threw out my CD 32

One of my Dad's co-workers gave us the console and lots of games in the year 2000. He heard that we liked games and was impressed that I had beaten train on Goldeneye 007 for the N64. I guess that was a bit of an achievement for a 9 year old.

He gave us the Oscar / Diggers disc as well as several demo discs. The games I remember from the demo discs were Alfred Chicken and Bubba 'n' Stix. The other two games I fondly remember are D/Generation and Liberation: Captive 2. Liberation: Captive 2 was the first open world game I had ever played. I was blown away by the size and intricacy of the city and the multiple playable robots. Its npcs and setting also unsettled me quite a bit and I remember it haunting my dreams a lot as a child. I always wanted to try and beat it, but its difficulty and complexity totally overwhelmed me.

Despite this kindness, my Dad didn't like this guy, maybe because they disagreed about how to do their jobs, they were both gardeners at a big country garden. So whenever he saw me and my sister playing the CD32 instead of our new, expensive N64, he would think of this guy and get cross. Eventually the CD32 disappeared and I found out later my Dad had thrown it out. My sister and I were sad. We still have the Oscar/Diggers disc, but with no way to play it now!

I know the CD32 is worth a fair bit now. Clearly the console made an impression on me, having come from a cartridge based console I was shocked that so many games could fit on a CD. Even 20 years on I'm still thinking about it and getting obsessed over the games I never got to play!
Old 18 August 2022, 12:45   #66
Snoopy1234

2016: My uncle gave me their A2000. It had battery damage. I took it to my local shop, they said it was un-repairable. I dumped it at the city tip recyclers. I hear later it had been bought and the guy got it going. I kept in touch but he later sold it.
Old 18 August 2022, 13:28   #67
Flimbo

I havent but I have no idea what happened to the A600 I shared with my sister when I was growing up. Can only assume my mother gave it away. She denies all knowledge of it.