English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 November 2021, 05:11   #1
Sequencer

RTG drivers and iComp registration

When I was on the Amiga the first time (in the 90's, in ancient times), I had an A3000 with a Picasso II, and I used the video driver that was supplied on floppy with the card, which wasn't quite RTG by standards that would emerge later for that term, but it had a mode promotion feature to make apps that weren't specifically designed to run in Picasso modes do so anyway, so it was sort of RTG.

Later, the true RTG drivers emerged...CyberGraphX, Picasso96 (now P96)...but I never adopted them because my original Picasso driver was working just fine for everything I was doing.

I've been getting back onto the Amiga again the past few years, and this time, I'm checking out the RTG drivers. I've gathered it's best to use P96 (rather than CyberGraphX) if you have a Picasso card. And apparently, there's a company called iComp that's done a lot of development in the current day on the P96 driver far beyond what's in the shareware Picasso96 driver on Aminet. I'd actually be interested in buying the latest release of P96.

So I tried registering on the iComp site...and I've been waiting for awhile. They haven't activated my account. Is iComp really still around? Is P96 from them a good option for an A3000 today, or should I just try to activate the shareware version from Aminet? The iComp site is setup so that you can't buy unless you login...but you can't login if they never register you. This conundrum can't be good for their business.
Old 20 November 2021, 12:16   #2
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Latest P96 is definitely worth it, lots of fixes and improvements in there. See this thread for information about the updates: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=105576

iComp definitely still about, where are you getting stuck on the registration?
Old 20 November 2021, 22:12   #3
E-Penguin
Banana

You can try asking for support on their forum https://forum.icomp.de/
Old 21 November 2021, 05:42   #4
Sequencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Latest P96 is definitely worth it, lots of fixes and improvements in there. See this thread for information about the updates: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=105576

iComp definitely still about, where are you getting stuck on the registration?

I've entered my account info, received an email saying that a registration link is coming...and it hasn't. If I try to register again with the same login, it says it already exists, but if I try to login with it, it doesn't work. So I'm in pre-registration limbo.
Old 21 November 2021, 06:05   #5
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

The "About" page contains an email address. I'd send them an email asking if they can activate your acount.
Old 21 November 2021, 13:29   #6
hUMUNGUs

I have different problems with P96 and iComp. As a paying customer i have x amount of downloads. I KNOW that i have not exceeded that amount. But now, if i want to download P96, i have to pay for it again. Thats just WRONG! I emailed the author for an explaination , still no answer.
Old 21 November 2021, 15:20   #7
daxb

You need to ask IndividualComputer. I read that the download amount of 10 is just a technical limit and you need to ask to get more. It is annoying but you don't need to pay for it.
Old 21 November 2021, 15:31   #8
robinsonb5

The download limit of 10 is negotiable - but there's also a time limit. You only get 1 year's worth of free updates, after which you're expected to pay again.
Old 21 November 2021, 18:43   #9
yelworC

Maybe it's because we have weekend and this is a one man shop? I would wait for normal workday before sending mails and stuff like that.
Old 22 November 2021, 13:43   #10
hUMUNGUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelworC View Post
Maybe it's because we have weekend and this is a one man shop? I would wait for normal workday before sending mails and stuff like that.
I did email him before the weekend.
Old 22 November 2021, 15:52   #11
Thomas Richter

The best way is to post this into the icomp forum.