English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL data problems

Old 04 April 2020, 19:13   #1
DamienD
Banned

Jungle Strike (Enhanced)

Heya guys,

Just like these:
For consistency, Jungle Strike should be renamed as "Jungle Strike (Enhanced)".
Old 05 April 2020, 05:28   #2
Valken

So we just rename the configuration files?
Old 05 April 2020, 09:20   #3
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valken View Post
So we just rename the configuration files?
You mean in my collection?

You could just do that and the game would still be fine but... you know me, I'll do the following:
  • Rename the configuration file.
  • Rename the <gamedir> from "Jungle Strike AGA" --> "Jungle Strike (Enhanced)".
  • Updated the configuration file with new <gamedir> rename.
Don't worry, this change will be in the next Update Pack, so I would just be patient
Old 08 April 2020, 17:13   #4
Hewitson

What is Enhanced again? A game that requires 2MB Chip RAM but doesn't have AGA graphics?
Old 08 April 2020, 17:25   #5
kriz

Could also be like the Kick Off 2 Enhanced: [1] This enhanced 1Mb update of the original 512K release of KICK OFF 2 features animated referees and linesmen, extra sound FX and overhead kicks. For Mother Goose: Enhanced, 32-colour version.

So another version sold. For Jungle Strike you can also got the original version (1mb) and enhanced (sold as aga version but is needed 2mb chip only).
Old 15 April 2020, 13:37   #6
DamienD
Banned

<bump to HOL team>
Old 15 April 2020, 19:43   #7
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

The 2MB version of Jungle Strike is a little different to the examples above as the only real enhancement over the 1MB version looks to be the intro (incidentally both versions were released simultaneously, with Ocean charging a couple of extra pounds for the 2MB "AGA" version!). In contrast, the HOL games you've listed feature in-game enhancements and were specifically re-released by the publishers for that very reason some months/years down the track, and usually with different box art to distinguish them as a genuine remake/updated version of the original incarnation worth purchasing again at full-price.

In any case, it probably makes sense to try and distinguish the 2MB and 1MB versions of Jungle Strike in HOL, so I've tagged the 2MB version as "Jungle Strike (Enhanced OCS/ECS)". Hopefully that will do the trick well enough for HOL peeps.....

Last edited by DrBong; 15 April 2020 at 21:30. Reason: Added to post!
Old 17 April 2020, 16:24   #8
Velociraptor5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
The 2MB version of Jungle Strike is a little different to the examples above as the only real enhancement over the 1MB version looks to be the intro (incidentally both versions were released simultaneously, with Ocean charging a couple of extra pounds for the 2MB "AGA" version!). In contrast, the HOL games you've listed feature in-game enhancements and were specifically re-released by the publishers for that very reason some months/years down the track, and usually with different box art to distinguish them as a genuine remake/updated version of the original incarnation worth purchasing again at full-price.

In any case, it probably makes sense to try and distinguish the 2MB and 1MB versions of Jungle Strike in HOL, so I've tagged the 2MB version as "Jungle Strike (Enhanced OCS/ECS)". Hopefully that will do the trick well enough for HOL peeps.....

Interesting...
It should get award "The most stupid HoL entry in year 2020"
I would understand:
Jungle Strike (Enhanced) (like new entry) with a note down there "why enhanced....."
or
Jungle Strike (like AGA hardware) with a note down there "workinkg also with OCS/ECS with 2MB ram...."

but

Jungle Strike (Enhanced OCS/ECS) and yet inserted to "also known as" ?????????????

AFAIK "Also known as" is used for the same games with different names only. For example:
-US release with different names compared to their EU versions (Out Of This World/Another World... etc.)
or
-another language versions compared to their En version (Seelenturm, Der/Tower Of Souls... etc.)
or
-just the games released twice with another name (Cyber World/Paranoia Complex... etc.)

So, why is in "also known as"?
Your Jungle Strike is still Junle Strike, the same publisher, the same language and mainly the same name.
Your solution is absolutely out of any system.
Old 22 June 2020, 23:52   #9
earok

The title animation of the Helicopter flying over the jungle on the "enhanced" version is AGA only, it won't work on an ECS machine (it looks to be 4bp/4bp dual playfield). Tested both with IPFs, and WHDLoad, that scene is completely blank on an ECS setup (though the music still plays).

Granted, it's a small part of the game, but I wouldn't consider it to be an "enhanced version for 2MB OCS/ECS" if certain features only work on AGA.
Old 27 September 2023, 17:31   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
The title animation of the Helicopter flying over the jungle on the "enhanced" version is AGA only, it won't work on an ECS machine (it looks to be 4bp/4bp dual playfield). Tested both with IPFs, and WHDLoad, that scene is completely blank on an ECS setup (though the music still plays).

Granted, it's a small part of the game, but I wouldn't consider it to be an "enhanced version for 2MB OCS/ECS" if certain features only work on AGA.
A bit late, but thank you for the info I've changed the chipset back to AGA mentioning that the heli is the only AGA feature and the rest of the game runs on any 2 MB Amiga.
Old 04 October 2023, 09:54   #11
sokolovic

Ahahah. That's probably the dumbest AGA only feature for a game.
Old 04 October 2023, 10:15   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It's indeed hard to think of anything less impactful as an 'AGA only' feature
Old 04 October 2023, 13:01   #13
Amigajay

There is a slight screen increase on the AGA/CD32 version, it’s only something like 16 pixels extra vertical viewable screen area.

I guess they had to reduce screen estate to keep the speed up on OCS version.