English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 25 November 2021, 01:18   #21
a/b

Use elimination: disable half the code and repeat, or disable everything and then start enabling things one by one, or similar.
Old 25 November 2021, 01:30   #22
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by a/b View Post
Use elimination: disable half the code and repeat, or disable everything and then start enabling things one by one, or similar.
Similar tactics are what I've used for many other bugs, but this one only happens on hardware I don't have access to.
I'm reliant on the kindness of others to continually run tests for me, which take a day or two to come back. Imposing on others to run dozens, maybe even hundreds of tests may not be possible.

Normally I'd output a detailed log file to find the spot that stops working, but on Amiga with a system takeover game running from hard drive, this requires constantly re-enabling/disabling the OS to write the file, which can cause new problems.

I thought about outputting a log file to the screen, and have it pause after every step so a tester could see how far it gets, but changing the display and pausing to display it is likely to modify the behaviour also. Still it might be better than nothing.
Old 25 November 2021, 01:48   #23
Don_Adan

I often enough for bug hunting using WHDload. I had/created 2 slaves with Wepl help. One for kick 1.3 and one for kick 3.1. I copy buggy program to directory with WB 1.3 or WB 3.1. Run 1.3 or 3.1 slave (works as HD, not disk, then no problem for big files) and later run buggy program. WHDload give good bug report after program crash. You can try same. Send prepared 3.1 HD slave to tester. And after crash you will be have crash report.
Old 25 November 2021, 05:44   #24
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
I often enough for bug hunting using WHDload. I had/created 2 slaves with Wepl help. One for kick 1.3 and one for kick 3.1. I copy buggy program to directory with WB 1.3 or WB 3.1. Run 1.3 or 3.1 slave (works as HD, not disk, then no problem for big files) and later run buggy program. WHDload give good bug report after program crash. You can try same. Send prepared 3.1 HD slave to tester. And after crash you will be have crash report.

That sounds like a very good idea, thanks. I've been trying it but there is a lot to learn with these WHDLoad slaves. I'll make a new thread with some questions as it doesn't really fit here.