English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 February 2010, 18:21   #1
Justice

Installing WHDownLoad on WinUAE 2.0.1

I am having trouble finding layman's instructions for installing the latest version of WHDLoad usr.lha (5.2.2009) from http://www.whdload.de/ in WinUAE 2.0.1.

I have found many relevant threads with Google but they all assume a certain level of familiarity or technical knowledge which I don't possess. However I do possess logic and patience.

So how do I go about installing it assuming I have the usr.lha file on my Windows XP desktop and Workbench 3.1 istalled on my Amiga 1200 emulating, Kickstart 3.1 ROM using version of WinUAE 2.0.1?
Old 09 February 2010, 18:30   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Fastest way is to mount the WHDLoad usr.lha archive as a harddrive (Add Directory or Archive in WinUAE Hard drives tab). Then boot and install WHDLoad.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 09 February 2010 at 19:17.
Old 09 February 2010, 19:13   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
@Retro-nerd

'I learned something new today'
Old 09 February 2010, 19:16   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Glad i could help.
Old 09 February 2010, 19:26   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You can also drag and drop any archive or file to WinUAE window and it automounts as a harddrive.

No need to reboot or restart.
Old 09 February 2010, 19:55   #6
Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Fastest way is to mount the WHDLoad usr.lha archive as a harddrive (Add Directory or Archive in WinUAE Hard drives tab). Then boot and install WHDLoad.
Thanks.

I created a drawer in my Programs Hardfile named WHDLoad. I pointed to that drawer for the installation. Once complete, I looked in the drawer but it's empty. Is the program installed or was there an error?

So assuming it is installed, I have just downloaded Turrican 2 from www.whdownload.com and unzipped it to my Windows desktop. How do I go about getting it onto one of my Hardfile's and installing it with WHDLoad?
Old 09 February 2010, 19:58   #7
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

WHDLoad and some other files (dic, rawdic etc) should be in your WB c: folder now, just like the whdload.prefs in the s: folder.

Quote:
So assuming it is installed, I have just downloaded Turrican 2 from www.whdownload.com and unzipped it to my Windows desktop. How do I go about getting it onto one of my Hardfile's and installing it with WHDLoad?
Don't unzipp them in Windows, do it in Amiga emulation (you lose some Amiga attributes/correct names under Windows). These game are already preinstalled, just unpack them.

http://aminet.net/package/util/arc/UnZip

Or try ClassicWB. A fine file manager called DirOpus is preinstalled, just like all WHDLoad relevant files (except the needed kickstarts in DEVS/Kickstarts)

http://classicwb.abime.net/

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 09 February 2010 at 20:08.
Old 09 February 2010, 20:09   #8
Justice

Quote:
WHDLoad and some other files (dic, rawdic etc) should be in your WB c: folder now, just like the whdload.prefs in the s: folder.
Okay, they aren't. Can you explain in layman's terms how to go about uninstalling WHLoad so I may attempt a reinstall?

Edit: I can see those files in Windows but not Workbench.

Quote:
Don't unzipp them in Windows, do it in Amiga emulation (you lose some Amiga attributes/correct names under Windows). These game are already preinstalled, just unpack them.
I didn't know that. Can you explain where to put .zip downloads of Amiga programs where I can see them when I load Workbench? Also, how do I unpack files via Workbench?
Old 09 February 2010, 20:15   #9
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Okay, they aren't. Can you explain in layman's terms how to go about uninstalling WHLoad so I may attempt a reinstall?
Are you sure? Do a mouse rightclick, then the Window -> Show -> All files option.

Quote:
I didn't know that. Can you explain where to put .zip downloads of Amiga programs where I can see them when I load Workbench? Also, how do I unpack files via Workbench?
Best solution is probably a file manager, configured for zip unpacking. ClassicWB has it already built-in, as i linked above. Or try the Shell command "Unzip" tool.
Old 09 February 2010, 20:34   #10
Justice

Quote:
Are you sure? Do a mouse rightclick, then the Window -> Show -> All files option.

Best solution is probably a file manager, configured for zip unpacking. ClassicWB has it already built-in, as i linked above. Or try the Shell command "Unzip" tool.
Yes, showing all files worked.

As I already have Workbench installed, do I have to uninstall before installing ClassicWB?
Old 09 February 2010, 20:43   #11
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

ClassicWB is an already preinstalled normal WB with a lot of useful extra tools/programmes. That would be a new WinUAE config with the provided virtual HD as an HDF image file.

All you need it to mount this HDF as DH0 and a valid WB 3.0/3.1 ADF image to copy some extra (still copyrighted) files additionally (at the first ClassicWB start a script ask for the WB disk). Check the ClassicWB site for more infos.
Old 09 February 2010, 22:28   #12
Justice

Quote:
ClassicWB is an already preinstalled normal WB with a lot of useful extra tools/programmes. That would be a new WinUAE config with the provided virtual HD as an HDF image file.

All you need it to mount this HDF as DH0 and a valid WB 3.0/3.1 ADF image to copy some extra (still copyrighted) files additionally (at the first ClassicWB start a script ask for the WB disk). Check the ClassicWB site for more infos.
I've installed ClassicWB_LITE. Where is the tool for transferring .zip files downloaded to my Windows desktop into Workbench?

What I'm ultimately trying to do is get the game Uninvited http://www.thegamearchives.com/?val=..._4_17_0_21_1_0 onto my Workbench so I can work out how to save games to hard drive.

Last edited by Justice; 09 February 2010 at 22:35.
Old 09 February 2010, 22:43   #13
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

In ClassicWB Lite = mouse right click -> run -> DOPUS. Mark your zipped files and unpack them to a desired path/folder with the "Arc Ext" button. Put all zipped files into another Windows folder and mount it as DH1.

A preinstalled WHDLoad version of Uninvited is here:

http://www.whdownload.com/games.php?name=u&sort=0&dir=0
Old 09 February 2010, 23:30   #14
Justice

Quote:

Do I mount System.hdf as a Hard file?

If so what do I put in FileSys?

Path: point to System.hdf
FileSys: ?
Device: DH0

Last edited by Justice; 10 February 2010 at 00:12.
Old 09 February 2010, 23:34   #15
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Do I mount System.hdf as a Hard file?
yes

Quote:
If so what do I put in FileSys?
nothing
Old 10 February 2010, 00:10   #16
Justice

Quote:
yes

nothing
After accepting the prompt to upgrade to Workbench 3.1 during the installation process, I had an error come up a couple of times along the lines of 'couldn't open Generic'.

Any idea what that means?
Old 10 February 2010, 00:16   #17
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I guess this is a missing printer "generic" driver on your WB disk. Do you have other WB disk images? The script expect an unmodified WB 3.0/3.1 ADF image.
Old 10 February 2010, 00:21   #18
Justice

Quote:
I guess this is a missing printer "generic" driver on your WB disk. Do you have other WB disk images? The script expect an unmodified WB 3.0/3.1 ADF image.
No, I don't have alternative WB disk images. Will it matter if I proceed with the installation anyway? I only intend to play games.

Thanks for all your help so far.
Old 10 February 2010, 00:23   #19
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

If all other files are copied properly it should work fine.
Old 10 February 2010, 00:27   #20
Justice

Quote:
If all other files are copied properly it should work fine.
That was the only error I got. 'Can't open Generic for input - object not found'

Now can you explain how to get a preinstalled WHDLoad game into a playable state on ClassicWB from the downloaded file, using the copy of Uninvited you directed me to before?