English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 12 February 2012, 21:47   #61
tom256

Quote:
I don't think so. I played a demo version long ago and it didn't impress me.
Well I was playing full version for a long time. Believe me HOMM3 is far better.

Quote:
And very illogical units. In HOMM2 there is some logic in which units belongs to which faction. None of that in HOMM3.
Btw I don't like the HOMM3 units.
Units look much better. My firs impression was just like yours, but after I back for a while to HOMM2..... no HOMM3 is far better.
Look at City's, units, music, sounds comes from everywhere.

Quote:
...And very illogical units.....
Agree, after playing HOMM2, a had the same impression. But now there are much more units. Fights are also more interesting.

Heroes 3 is just far more superior than any other HOMM including 4,5,6, all together.

Quote:
The H2 field is 11X9 hexagons. The H3 field is 15X11. Of course the units are a little bit smaller then, but still they are much more detailled and look better, because Homm2 is in 640X480 256 colors, while Homm3 is in 800X600 65536
Big advantage is that only few most powerfull units can attack enemy units on all battlefiled. So in other word, common unit can't reach your shooting units in one move(usually 2-3 turns, unless haste or teleport is used).

Quote:
What are the HOMM3 specific skills ?
Just like Lord Riton said, also Heroes have now profession:
For example Hero is specialized in Nagas, and Naga unit gain extra Speed Attack and Defense under his command.
Hero specialized in Chain Lighting when cast this spell it will do more damaged etc.

Quote:
A lot of them were already not very useful in HOMM2. Worse there, eh ?
I would said there are more usefull than the builidngs in HOMM2, but some are less important. :P Still IMO is far better than HOMM2

Quote:
- More artifacts and more of a lot of other things. It's just more of everything !
Like HOMM2x.
There is something new now. In Heroes 3 you can join artifacts to create one much more powerful.

Quote:
HOMM3.5
Mile ahead ? For me it's a regression !
Unit gain experience(YES!!!), some useless skill are now improved. Balista, Aid Tent, and Ammo Card are improved, unit rebalanced, new skills, new artifacts, plenty of improvements, but not relay stable. Hundreds of new options where do you see regression??

...and HOMM4 suxx

Quote:
Well, convert the x86 code to 68k and we'll see
Lets focus on HOMM2 for now until it is finished

Quote:
How many persons have a real Amiga with more than 10 Mega bytes ? Certainly not many.
Many. Stock A4000 has 18MB. A1200 with Low cost memory expansions or Turbo Board has 10MB or more.
Hey man, its 2012!!! Be serious. 2MB was not enough in 1992.

Last edited by tom256; 12 February 2012 at 23:40.
Old 15 February 2012, 10:31   #62
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
How many persons have a real Amiga with more than 10 Mega bytes ? Certainly not many.
Quite a few have accelerators, and I've had a 16 MB stick for over ten years (recently got 64 MB).

Also, if you remake the game from scratch, it may turn out that you need less than 10 MB. Don't underestimate the fact that a lot of peecee software isn't very optimal.
Quote:
Also if the AI takes 5mns or longer each turn, i for me won't call it playable.
Again, if implemented from scratch, why would it?

The fact is that the peecee version may just be slow and require more recourses than are truly needed. If I had the game, I might be able to make a good estimate, but I don't
Old 15 February 2012, 11:30   #63
Lord Riton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Quite a few have accelerators, and I've had a 16 MB stick for over ten years (recently got 64 MB).
I don't. I have 10 Mb (2 CHIP + 8 Fast), and this was the most ram you could have at the time i bought it. And it was more than enough then. That's why i don't think many have more, and i tend to not call it a "Classic" Amiga anymore if beyond.
Old 15 February 2012, 19:42   #64
tom256

Quote:
I don't. I have 10 Mb (2 CHIP + 8 Fast), and this was the most ram you could have at the time i bought it. And it was more than enough then. That's why i don't think many have more, and i tend to not call it a "Classic" Amiga anymore if beyond.
Maybe it time to buy new ACA1231??
Old 15 February 2012, 20:07   #65
Lord Riton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom256 View Post
Maybe it time to buy new ACA1231??
Not for me. I don't use my real Amiga anymore. WinUAE is working well enough, and i have 4GB of RAM
Old 15 February 2012, 21:10   #66
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Not for me. I don't use my real Amiga anymore.
Oh no Perhaps you should sell it then. It's a shame to have the thing sitting in a corner collecting dust
Quote:
WinUAE is working well enough, and i have 4GB of RAM
4 GB? How much ram do you have in your peecee? And what on earth do you need 4GB for on an Amiga anyway? Actually, it can't be 4 GB because the first 16 MB can't be filled with ram completely
Old 16 February 2012, 01:52   #67
Lord Riton

my PC has 4GB.. Of course i don't have 4GB for my Amiga, but i guess with a PC and 4GB, you can set the max possible RAM for your AMiga, what ever that number is (160 MB ?)

Well, anyway, my point was that Amigas with over 10Mb aren't Classic amigas for me anymore. Some people would even says as soon as you have an expansion in your Amiga it's no more a classic Amiga.
Old 16 February 2012, 08:38   #68
meynaf
son of 68k

HOMM2 would work for 10MB, and even though it's a little bit too small for it, memory footprint of the game should decrease as i work on it. But memory sizes are OT for me.

I don't want to endlessly argue here, and HOMM3 being 800x600x16 is alone a reason for me to say plain "no" to a port. And rather than starting from scratch, it's better for me to add the features in HOMM2.
Old 05 April 2012, 05:28   #69
tom256

Any news about next version???
Old 05 April 2012, 09:07   #70
meynaf
son of 68k

I will try to put it online ASAP. Next week probably.
Old 06 April 2012, 12:12   #71
meynaf
son of 68k

Next version online now.
URL has changed, though :
http://meynaf.free.fr/pr/homm2.lzx
Old 15 May 2012, 22:34   #72
Godspeed

Hello

You doing great work with the Heroes 2 !

I tested the game today with my A1200
Specs:
Phase 5 T/ERC Blizzard 68040 32mb
Indivision Aga MK2
WB 3.9

Game works pretty well with my system and im hoping that you will contiune the project & improve it

Tommi

Old 16 May 2012, 04:10   #73
kriz

Ohh i forgot to test . thanks, downloaded !!
Old 17 May 2012, 08:44   #74
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godspeed View Post
Game works pretty well with my system and im hoping that you will contiune the project & improve it
I will. It will just take some time.
Old 17 May 2012, 19:56   #75
nujack
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Next version online now.
URL has changed, though :
http://meynaf.free.fr/pr/homm2.lzx

Thank you meynaf!!!
Old 26 June 2012, 00:35   #76
ari68k

Hey Meynaf I wanted to test this piece of work but it seems to me that homm2.lzx (just grabbed it twice from your site) has an error. At least on my real A1200 (OS3.9) I cannot extract it: Unarc doesn't open it, LhA complains that the archive is corrupt (no data extracted) and lzx (1.21 68020/030) produces a guru when I try to extract it.

Any help would be much appreciated. Might be that just me miggy is playing tricks on me but you never know, so I figured it best to ask

homm2.lzx (MD5: 07327246931e7f3dd73f7e559f90d423)

Edit: Hrmm I was able to extract it ona peecee with universal extractor. So it is not the archives... Guess I have to check my archivers...

Edit: Got the culprits seems like my system didn't like the mountfiles BoingBag4 installed since I removed them (VNC,JAZ etc.) I can extract it and play but I have to agree that it is a bit too slow on a 68030 especially on the worldmap but nicely done Meynaf! Would love to see it improved, this brings back memories of very hot Hot-Seat-Sessions

Last edited by ari68k; 26 June 2012 at 02:35.

Old 26 June 2012, 15:16   #77
meynaf
son of 68k

It's possible you had some MaxTransfer issues or something like that.
Old 26 June 2012, 19:08   #78
tom256

Set Maxtransfer to 0x1FE00 and check if the problem still exist.

BTW If you are using FFS, adding 1000 buffers will help a lot with disks transfer.

Last edited by tom256; 26 June 2012 at 20:02.
Old 26 June 2012, 19:37   #79
ari68k

I do not know why it affected lzx and lha but the new files of BoingBag4k in DEVS: DosDrivers caused trouble when I moved them to Storage/DosDrivers them all was cool

I tried to convert the midi files on a peecee the best I could do was a FastTracker format (*.xm). I used the following programs for this:
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/xmi2mid/
http://openmpt.org/download (FasTracker compatibility mode in Song Settings and compatibility export to XM from the File menu)

Now I am pondering what to use to get the FastTracker module converted to ProTracker (If one chooses to directly export to Protracker from OpenMPT one looses half of the rows)

There is also one tool on aminet which might help to get a direct midi to ProTracker conversion but it is rather complex to configure if one does not know much about midi (like myself).
http://aminet.net/package/mus/misc/ptmid

I will compare the XM files I created with the midi's if they sound correct to my ears I can upload them. Or maybe someone who has more knowledge of midi/mod can take it from here with the hints I provided?

Edit:
Sadly the tools I used all lost informations in form of patterns,instruments and samples beginning with XMI2MID

Maybe if we know a way to get clean Midi files from the game XMI files (midi+DLS?) we can use OctaMED and one of the plugins from the aminet.

(I have compared the XMI and MID files with foobar2000 on Windows because I couldn't find anything to play XMI on Ubuntu and sadly they are not identical as in the MID files already miss information from the XMI's)

@Tom256:
Yeah AddBuffers really helps quite a bit

Last edited by ari68k; 26 June 2012 at 21:16.

Old 28 June 2012, 08:42   #80
meynaf
son of 68k

If you have converted the midi files into something else, even if it's more than 4ch please upload. At least i will tell you if they sound good to my ears too.
I remember trying some convertion program in the past, and it gave lamentable results.