English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 December 2004, 17:09   #1
Tolismlf

Games that were great on the Amiga and were ~equal on the ST.

I think two games are Rainbow islands and Kick Off. I think these were great also on the ST.

Last edited by Tolismlf; 15 December 2004 at 17:21.
Old 15 December 2004, 21:29   #2
mtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolismlf
I think two games are Rainbow islands and Kick Off. I think these were great also on the ST.
Comes to mind Stardust that on STE is very similar to the ecs one.

And now someone will flame me, but imo Turrican 2 on ST is cool, with another atmosphere caused by the chip music ( very well converted from tfmx one imo ).

A pair of years ago i played it on emulated st till the end.

Super Cars 2 is nearly the same, and the same goes for New Zealand Story iirc.

Edit:

Thalion Games like Wings Of Death and Dragonflight were the same ( wod music on st being imo better ).

Gods was really good on st too.

Last edited by mtb; 15 December 2004 at 22:06.
Old 15 December 2004, 22:08   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Dungeon Master
Old 15 December 2004, 22:44   #4
Tolismlf

Now i played some ST games and i can add some more:

Switchblade 2 (the same but scrolling is different)
Captive (100% the same)
ST dragon (identical to Amiga)
Speedball 2 is also very good on the ST.
Pang (the same except the music that's better on the Amiga)
Old 16 December 2004, 01:09   #5
Photon

As an aside, Gods (and many other games from the same guys) were made on the ST first, then ported to Amiga without using the custom chips at all. That's why the scrolling on Gods is so pitiful. Sorry, there's no other adjective that fits it.
Old 16 December 2004, 02:27   #6
IFW

Actually after having seen Xenon 2 on ST... the amiga version is just a sorry port, with the only change being the title music and somehow worse (!) scroll. And it's not even an STE version.
Old 16 December 2004, 13:18   #7
Hillsy_

Thank you...Yes, Xenon 2 was alot better on the ST. Dungeon Master was better & harder on the ST. And Kick Off had no goal mouth...it was rubbish compared to the Amiga. Don't even bother with the Turrican series on the ST, utter rubbish compared to the Amiga....Did you hear the music break up!!! TV Sports Football was better on the Amiga too....and Shadow of the Beast. Then again, Oids was great on the ST....

Ahhhh...The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.
Old 16 December 2004, 20:07   #8
Frog

Rick Dangerous which amazed me when it was released is quite the same. Bubble Bobble (faster on amiga). Operation Stealth and most of Delphine's Software game... perhaps better music on Amiga can't remember ST ones.
Beach Volley and most of Ocean games which were at the beggining just ST port ; most difference was the increase speed on Amiga.
Old 16 December 2004, 21:52   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Most 3D games are slightly faster on the ST due to it's 8MHz 68000 vs the Amiga's 7.14MHz one.
Old 21 December 2004, 16:05   #10
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Agree about Speedball 2 being quite okay on ST having played it on a friend's ST at the time before I got the Amiga game. And add llamatron, though that was written for the ST from the outset,still, a nice mindless Minter blaster at that.
Old 21 December 2004, 20:33   #11
Marcuz

a game that was equally great but a lot different: Prince of Persia
Old 28 December 2004, 02:24   #12
Von würst

Most bitmapbrothers games where the the same, they where also the best looking games on the st. Its incredible what bitmaps could do with only 16colors(?).
Old 28 December 2004, 20:10   #13
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

I think the Bitmaps used 32 like most coders in their later games.

Midnight Resistance was much more fun on the ST (as I recall) as was the multiplayer classic "Nitro"! In Nitro on the ST you got one round really late on in the game, were you gained points for running over the tiny little pedestrians, on the Amiga no just festivities were to be had! I think the levels were generally better on the ST too?

I remember one of the coders of Exile saying that the ST version of their classic was the best... I find that hard to believe though!

Also, my ST owning mate insisted that the music for Xenon II was much better on the ST (even though it had less samples etc).
Old 28 December 2004, 20:34   #14
IFW

32 colours would have been a bit hard... since an ST can only display upto 16 of a 9 bit rgb (512) palette. You can create separate screen sections and change the colours through irqs but those are mostly not feasible for portable games.
An ste which is a straight copy of the amiga hardware features, however can display 32 colours.
Xenon 2 actually is better on an ST, even the scrolling is better which is quite funny considering the hardware differences. The sound however is way worse on the St version... unless someone is tonedeaf
Old 28 December 2004, 21:55   #15
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Ah! I see! Thanks for the info!

Not sure what my friend was saying...! I think he meant during the Intro Sequence... if that makes any difference?
Old 29 December 2004, 07:35   #16
IFW

Not really, no pcm (digital sample) sound on an st (there is on an ste) "just" an ay-3-8910 fm chip, where you can emulate pcm sound, but never as clear sounding as a real sample.
So in Xenon 2 the only place where the st version is worse than the amiga is the intro tune, since it uses loads of sampled effects.
Old 29 December 2004, 12:51   #17
Von würst

I havent played the amiga version but the st version of sir fred looked great.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=16558
Old 01 January 2005, 00:00   #18
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFW
32 colours would have been a bit hard... since an ST can only display upto 16 of a 9 bit rgb (512) palette. You can create separate screen sections and change the colours through irqs but those are mostly not feasible for portable games.
An ste which is a straight copy of the amiga hardware features, however can display 32 colours.
Nope... the STe only displays 16 colour like an standard ST, but it can choose it's colours from an bigger palette...4000 something i think, just like an Amiga 500.
Old 01 January 2005, 11:00   #19
IFW

Correct.
4096, 12 bit rgb.
Old 01 January 2005, 13:44   #20
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I think the Amiga version of Xenon 2 had an extra layer of parralax scrolling that the PC and ST didn't have. The Bitmap Brothers were great game designers, but they were not great coders. Xenon 2 for instance wasn't coded by the Bitmaps, it was done by The Assembly Line who were more noted for their Vector work than than arcade coding (coincidentally, Adrian Stephenson, lead coder for Assembly Line, was none other than the original coder of Killer Gorilla for the BBC computer)

With the exception of better sound and music and occasionally using the copper chip (Gods), the Amiga versions of their games were direct ports of the ST version, which is a shame. The Bitmaps excuse was always that they preferred the games to run at a constant 25Mhz and not drop a frame, than run in 50Mhz and then slowdown when it got too hectic on the screen.

Just because their games didn't fully utilise the Amiga, that doesn't mean that their games were crap. In my top ten of games, at least 3 of them would be Bitmap Brothers games.