English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 01 March 2013, 02:33   #1
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Happy I'm a fan of FS-UAE

Okay... it's my birthday and all, but... FS-UAE does offer a lot

You can use it as an alternative for E-UAE on MacOSX and *nix

But I'd like to point out that the online database (once you enabled it via the preferences in FS-Launcher) offers a lot of Amiga gaming (more than 500 games and another >300 CD32 and CDTV titles) via the (double-)click of a button

And there's also netplay to try out

A lot of small improvements that add up to be a worthwhile 'try-out' for every Amiga gamer

Once you realise that FS-UAE uses the same core as WinUAE does, you can focus on the the 'extra' features that FS-UAE has

I'm a fan of FS-UAE for that... how about you?

Last edited by TCD; 01 March 2013 at 02:41.
Old 01 March 2013, 04:07   #2
bcripon

I was just thinking about this myself. I remember first running into FS-UAE after I got frustrated with setting up E-UAE on OS X and just gave up. I was using Amiga Forever using Wine. The experience was ok, but there were still some window problems using it with Wine (Windows library translation for *nix systems like OS X and Linux).

When I found the first version of FS-UAE, it finally allowed me to set up an Amiga emulator on OS X that worked well and was easy to set up. It is quite amazing how far Frode has come since I started with 1.3.9 (I think).

With the work that Frode has done, I am not surprised that Amiga Forever's Mac page has said for a long time that work is starting "soon" on a Mac port. Honestly, I can't see where a Mac AF port could keep up with FS-UAE.

Thanks, Frode!

Bob C
Old 01 March 2013, 08:53   #3
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
I love myself fs-uae too, thats why i keep bugging Frode with various stuff to add
Is someone interested to have fs-uae badge or sticker?
This guy can do it, when requested
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=41163
Old 01 March 2013, 09:26   #4
DaveMB
Banana in disk drive eror

Full time Ubuntu user here so I absolutely love FS-UAE and very much appreciate its existence.
Old 01 March 2013, 10:09   #5
Goingdown

Linux user here too. I used to use either e-uae or Winuae via Wine, but I have moved to fs-uae. Easy to use, performance is in par with Winuae, so it is perfect.

I used to have a1200 setup with WB 3.1 hard disk, and all of my whdload games in there (btw, I recommend whdload for everyone - it is great... and the registration fee is not to bad). But now I am using FS-UAE Launcher with online game database and launching almost all games directly from there (few are still missing but coming up pretty nicely).
Old 01 March 2013, 11:03   #6
leathered

Linux user since my first slackware install 10 years ago, and the main inspiration behind my thinly disguised choice of nickname. I used E-UAE for a long time before moving over to WinUAE for it's better features and compatibilty. Recently I have a new machine build running Mint 14 and plan to start using FS-UAE as I've been reading good things about it. It didn't run on my previous mint cinnamon 13 (it was always a bit broken!)
Old 01 March 2013, 11:10   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Maybe I should mention that I'm on Windows... Actually the online database and it's integration convinced to have a closer look at FS-UAE. There are a lot of very clever features that makes it a lot easier for a gamer to just... play games
Old 01 March 2013, 14:21   #8
Kitty

Does the windows version support WHDLoad?
Old 01 March 2013, 14:26   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/whdload-support
You just scan the WHDLoad zips and put your key (if you have) in the FS-UAE folder. You don't even need to install WB
Old 01 March 2013, 19:28   #10
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
Does the windows version support WHDLoad?
Yes, you can either:
* Use a full drive with WHDLoad and games (obviously)
* Load an archive with a WHDLoad game into a drive (and modify the WHDLoad arguments option if necessary)
* Use the online database and just run scan, to get one-click (or two) starting of WHDLoad games. Just PM me if you'd like to use the online database (currently in beta).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/whdload-support
You just scan the WHDLoad zips and put your key (if you have) in the FS-UAE folder. You don't even need to install WB
Yep (if online database is enabled)
Old 02 March 2013, 00:02   #11
lesta_smsc

FS-UAE has revolutionised gaming for me! With the old WinUAE-XP Kaillera not working on later Windows, and poor support, it was difficult to enjoy the Amiga experience over the internet particularly with 2 player games. Now that is a problem of the past! Great speed and compatibility - with the latest development series having some amazing features, this is only getting better!
Old 03 March 2013, 20:40   #12
1time
Amiga Lover

Okey. I have tried it.. And i do love it..

Another fan right here =)
Old 03 March 2013, 20:45   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Glad you like it mate There will be more games popping up during the next days/weeks, so don't forget to click that refresh button once in a while
Old 03 March 2013, 21:51   #14
seuden
uber cool demi god

Where do you place the zipped WHDLoad games ready for scanning?
Old 03 March 2013, 21:52   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

C:\Users\seuden\Documents\FS-UAE\Hard Drives I'd say
Old 03 March 2013, 21:54   #16
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Where do you place the zipped WHDLoad games ready for scanning?
Anywhere you like inside one of the scan directories ("Scan Files & Configurations" from the menu) - you can add more directories to the scan list as well.

EDIT: Or what TheCyberDruid said
Old 03 March 2013, 22:49   #17
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Just scanned the my KillerGorilla/Retroplay folder with WHDLoad games. I already like it, with the nice cover scans and screenshots. FS-UAE runs pretty smooth with the Open GL renderer.

I had some performance troubles with WinUAE+D3D+Low Latency Vsync+Line Mode = Double in the last few month.

Edit: One thing: Is it clever to use an Amiga 600 config for the OCS/ECS WHDLoad games? The quit key doesn't work then for a lot of games. Sure, i can always quit with F12+Q, but is it safe for the archive files?

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 03 March 2013 at 23:23.
Old 04 March 2013, 00:03   #18
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
One thing: Is it clever to use an Amiga 600 config for the OCS/ECS WHDLoad games? The quit key doesn't work then for a lot of games. Sure, i can always quit with F12+Q, but is it safe for the archive files?
This is done for performance reasons - A1200 emulation is much more demanding, so A600 is used unless the slave needs A1200 (Some slaves based on OCS/ECS games does not run well on A600, in this case, A1200 is used of course).

The original archive is never modified! Modified files are stored in the state dir. I suppose there's a small potential risk of a file being partially written if you quit exactly while the slave writes a file.. - or similar, that only x of y files got written if the slave saves to several files).
Old 04 March 2013, 00:10   #19
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I see, makes sense. So it's pretty safe to quit with F12+Q. Great stuff, Frode. I'm really impressed by your emulator, launcher and the editable database. The latter reminds my of another Emulator frontend called ECC.
Old 04 March 2013, 00:12   #20
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Happy belated Birthday TCD - hope you had a good one!