That technical enough for ya!
Old 08 March 2006, 23:03   #64
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by dir_marillion
Hehe, great comment Commie :-)

Dlfsilver, who is R.J. ? Amiga has 22KHz - 8 bit sound which is not very near to 44KHz 16KHz CD quality. No problem if you believe that the 14bit stereo +++ in AHI is true :-)

TIP: Some sounds (low KHz sounds like electric guitars and bass) with amiga filter are nice when you listen them (especially into the games). But if you listen the 16bit editions of these sounds, in the same time, from a real CD, you can understand the difference.

The most of the small PC speakers refer 150-250 Watts. Are they true too?

Steinberg never looked Amiga because:

a. MIDI IS DIFFERENT THAN AUDIO (I am tired to writing it)
b. Companies always look the base machine and Atari had build in midi ports
c. Atari TOS was single-tasking so it had not timing errors
d. Atari had 640*400 B/W at 72KHz which it was and it is a workable resolution for a musician
e. TOS was enough and very stable to support it's developing.

Of course when Amiga had it's first Zorro-2 Audio Cards like Toccata, was too late.
Steinberg had already start developing on Mac PPCs and Pentium PCs... the next VST generation...

...and yes if Spectrum had an UltraSPARC III processor that was 64 bit, it could run Solaris 10.
Hehe, great comment Commie :-)

Dlfsilver, who is R.J. ? Amiga has 22KHz - 8 bit sound which is not very near to 44KHz 16KHz CD quality. No problem if you believe that the 14bit stereo +++ in AHI is true :-)
- Nahh how do you mean to be serious here you don't know RJ ?
RJ stands for Richard Joseph, a brilliant professional musician working in the
video game industry, who was the bitmap brothers Musical weapon.
Does it switch your light on ? Just for you to know, in shadow of the beast
"the instruments used in the music were generated with a Korg M1 synthesiser and then sampled at over 20 khz, which gives the music a higher quality than what is normally found in computer games."
It means that with midi system tied up with a single amiga, you get a far better result when composing.

I have myself recorded from a standard CD player... you'll be mad to hear
the result. the amiga has the best sound system ever created for a home
machine. When i played the sampled music i have recorded, people of my
family were impressed what they saw in front of their eyes and heard.

TIP: Some sounds (low KHz sounds like electric guitars and bass) with amiga filter are nice when you listen them (especially into the games). But if you listen the 16bit editions of these sounds, in the same time, from a real CD, you can understand the difference.

Once again, there's a small difference between
original pieces and amiga music. Gods song, and chaos engine are
an example, and the best of course, just ask C.Huelsbeck just how
you can go when composing with an amiga. the apidya soundtrack
was driven when playing by an amiga machine, it's written in the CD booklet. Here again, we all know how much C.Huelsbeck is a sound GOD.

The most of the small PC speakers refer 150-250 Watts. Are they true too?

Steinberg never looked Amiga because:

a. MIDI IS DIFFERENT THAN AUDIO (I am tired to writing it)
Midi is used for recording music, please don't play on words

b. Companies always look the base machine and Atari had build in midi ports
c. Atari TOS was single-tasking so it had not timing errors

False affirmation. The amiga was used by the NASA because it doesn't
have ANY TIMING ERRORS. Aerospatial operation does not SUPPORT
OTHER machine like these because NO ERRORS are allowed when
launched.

d. Atari had 640*400 B/W at 72KHz which it was and it is a workable resolution for a musician
e. TOS was enough and very stable to support it's developing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dir_marillion
Once again, it's a free affirmation. The amiga doesn't
have to prove it's stable. The tos has the same compatibility problem
has the lastest WB has. WHDLOAD is here to correct this, in some ways ^^

Of course when Amiga had it's first Zorro-2 Audio Cards like Toccata, was too late.

Once again, C.Huelsbeck would not agree with you. Amiga is compatible
with a lot of instruments and other material used when recording.

Steinberg had already start developing on Mac PPCs and Pentium PCs... the next VST generation...

Arfff, nothing to brag out here....

...and yes if Spectrum had an UltraSPARC III processor that was 64 bit, it could run Solaris 10.
Old 08 March 2006, 23:59   #65
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

I'm relaxed and don't see the point.
Old 09 March 2006, 01:24   #66
Adropac2
Zone Friend

If i have remembered correctly , Jez San commented about how the Amiga would benefit using the blitter when running vector games like his own Starglider but would NOT however perform the same increase for filled polygons.When i saw the Amiga version of Starglider 2 it was when i had just bought the ST version and the only thing i can recall is how much better the sound was - same speed at least to the eye.

We are talking a difference of 1mhz which means that the Amiga would have been ever so slightly slower when doing filled vectors but not so you would notice quite honestly.

I think it's unlikey Jez San got it wrong concerning the blitter.
Old 09 March 2006, 07:34   #67
keropi

eeerrrmmmm.... MIDI is for recording music??? eh?
so what the atari did best was to record??? I don't get it... I thought MIDI was for creating music, using a card/synthesiser's sounds, and then create a small file explaining to the hardware when and how to play these sounds...
more info please...
Old 09 March 2006, 07:56   #68
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Yes recording and driving at the end the keyboard etc....
Old 09 March 2006, 09:31   #69
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Here is a link for more info how midi works.
Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI)
Old 09 March 2006, 09:47   #70
blade002
Zone Friend

I was on the verge of Buying an Atari ST until a friend of mine bought an Amiga. So then i went and saw the Amiga in action, that instantly sealed it for me!. It was Amiga all the way after that!.

But i do think the ST was a good machine. I fondly remember all the debates in the Magazines about it, and honestly, without the ST the 16bit market probably wouldnt have been as big, so we would have maybe been lacking games for our Amiga early on, even if they were just ST port overs.

Nope, i will give the ST credit where credit is due!. My brother bought 2 Atari ST's 2 years ago for its MIDI because he is into making music. And that seriously is something the Amiga was sorely lacking. But yes, when it came to graphics and sound, the Amiga ate the Atari ST for breakfast.

Still a great machine though.
Old 09 March 2006, 10:03   #71
commie1974
Amiga? What's that?!?

Hehe, this thread gets more and more interesting! Keep on opposing to each other, people! How fool of me, I thought that fighting between Amiga and Atari users had stopped since the reign of crappy PCs & windoze began! Well, keep on, this gives me a bit of that magic feeling, back in late 80's-early 90's!!! Bwahahah, the battle rages on :-PPPP
By the way, I remembered another battle: the one between Spectrum and Amstrad users, back in 1986!! I will just vote for speccy this time, just to be *a bit* out of topic! I always needed to declare in public my personal preference to this heavenly black machine's superiority relatively to its main crappy rival and never had the chance so far :-)
Old 09 March 2006, 10:29   #72
dir_marillion
Randy Rhoads

After a good reading of your answer, Dlfsiver, I understood that you have your own theory about the music on this planet. No problem for that. The good point is that you know the existence of Korg M1 which is a good synthesizer (not the best of it's kind).

You are very lucky for being here and not to a music thread, because here you can say your opinion and someone can answer or even agree or disagree with you.

My mother also likes the intro sound of the "Shadow of the Beast 2".

I am not sure if NASA worked on Amiga, but for sure, when I was at the univercity in early 90's, NASA were using high-end-systems like SGIs and Suns. They had hardware that could work with their oscilators and the various types of telescopes. They didn't use their computers to watch JPGs of Mars, like we see in Hollywood Films.
But maybe they had an Amiga 500 to play "Sensible Soccer", after their work. You know, NASA is a Government institute and could spent more money, in more expensive systems than Amiga.

Of course this fact does not mean that Amiga 3000 or 4000 were not professional systems.
Lopos: hehehe, great !!!
Keropi: do not change your mind, you know it well. :-)

And for the final time: Amiga had great 8-bit sound for games due to paula's filters.
Old 09 March 2006, 11:23   #73
keropi

crappy pc's? windoze??? grow up!
(I have stated in other threads too my sympathy for pc's and MS. you cannot deny facts neither evolution. lol)

also, I too know nasa had amigas, simulating landings and measuring coordinates, infact, in amiga.org there is some screenshot of the program... but do not be narrow-minded and think they had only amigas... in there there must be every architecture available, plus their own builds! lol
Old 09 March 2006, 12:02   #74
manicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
crappy pc's? windoze??? grow up!
(I have stated in other threads too my sympathy for pc's and MS. you cannot deny facts neither evolution. lol)
Who remembers the joke:

-All who have a home computer should step on

-Hey, where the hell do you, a PC owner, think you are going?

And kewl, a topic that falls in the category 'Blast from the past'. The Atari ST was great for me because of its beautiful community. They knew the limits of the hardware, yet, they pushed it so far. The demo wars, the demo scene was the best thing on the ST. Finally, I think that you don't have to have great hardware to classify a computer as being great. It's the whole package and in my opinion, the Atari ST is on par with the Amiga when it comes down to that.

PS.Oh, I miss the late 80s and early 90s FFS. Gimme a time machine!

PS². I prefer listening to SNDHs that MODs in my wintel box.
Old 09 March 2006, 12:25   #75
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I still think that comment that TOS is an operating system is funny as hell.

It is not much better then C64 basic with the mouse.

EDIT: Actually, you could do more with C64 basic, so you can't compare those to either...
Old 09 March 2006, 12:30   #76
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

@Commie1974
The superiority of the speccy you a referring is because the rest of the 8bit machines(except the c64), the lazy programmers direct ported the speccy version, instead of making a native one. I like the speccy as well, but in the 8 bit arena are more machines i leke, for example msx machines. For a 8 bit machine the had a graphics similar(not quite) to a 16 bit machine), all with a z80!!!. Just compare a msx version of a speccy game, and then compare it with a japanese msx game, you will see the difference.
Sorry for the bit of topic, amiga forever!!!!!
Old 09 March 2006, 13:20   #77
IFW

PS3 rulez, 360 suxx0rz.
Just an impartial observation

asl omg lol rotfl

Ah wrong thread as well...!
Old 09 March 2006, 13:51   #78
Tony Landais
Zone Friend

I don t know about the Nasa but I heard Meteo France used Amiga until late 90's because it had the fastest OS to restart after a crash.
Maybe someone knows more about that.
Old 09 March 2006, 14:42   #79
SilentBob

I borrowed a 520STFM for a coupla months before I bought my Amiga, but I have to say I preferred my Amiga. Mainly due to better graphics and sound, coupled with the fact that there were hardly any ST users around where I lived. In the end, they all switched to Amigas as well.

Anyway, both computers were great for what they were professionally used for, the ST for MIDI, the Amiga for video/TV stuff. And after all, the ST was out first with affordable 16-bit computing, the 520ST was out in 1985, the A500 didn't come along until 1987. The A1000 was good, but pricey!
Old 09 March 2006, 14:48   #80
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Landais
I don t know about the Nasa but I heard Meteo France used Amiga until late 90's because it had the fastest OS to restart after a crash.
Maybe someone knows more about that.
North and South Staffs hospitals used amigas until around 1998 for that exact reason.
As for Ataris, well my STFM lived out its days of usefullness being used to prop open doors and hit people with, much in the same way my 2 IBM PS/2's ended up as a step to reach the top shelf of the pantry.

I used mt STFM with my Korg X3 for years with no problems, it was a brilliant little setup, unfortunately the X3 died and shortly after i spilled bear all over the STFM (now my little home setup cosists of a triton, an X5D and a powerbook)

10 years ago I would not have faulted my Atari, but time has told and where my Amiga 1200 is still in use and is usefull for allot more than nostalgia, the STFM will probarbly be thrown out in my next cleanup.