English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 03 May 2010, 20:58   #21
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Yeah, I hope to maybe find a "roughly A1200 size" LCD-TV that displays PAL properly. I'd order another Joytech before I'd order anything else though, and the chances that a store has something worth using are slim.

The scaling is so beautiful, I didn't bother to find the native resolution... the only thing that matters is that it looks 10x better than the scaling on my 800EUR Dell LCD

This is probably some freaky job with a freaky resolution and 50 Hz, ie. something made to actually display a PAL picture

It's connected via r,g,b,sync,and ground. It also takes NTSC and will probably work fine with any games console in both modes.

I'll adjust overscan in ClassiCWB and check. (Btw, the pic is 320x200, I think it came on some old gfx disk, that's the reason for the black bottom (ooh!))

OK: adjusted WB overscan to 702x256, unfortunately ECS doesn't seem to fill it to the right quite fully, although only 3mm are missing. So probably it reads 708x256 of the full PAL signal, and overscan in WB can be set to 702x256 (since the bg color is extended fully).
Have you also seen this Link for £9.99, I just ordered one, it is a TV tuner and allows other devices to plug into the monitor.

A bit more info:-
Model Joytech TV Tuner & Multi Av Adapter
Product Description Portable TV Tuner Product Description Portable TV Tuner
Included Accessories S-Video, Scart and Composite inputs. Included Accessories S-Video, Scart and Composite inputs.
Additional Features Automatic channel tuning with up to 99 channels stored. Additional Features Automatic channel tuning with up to 99 channels stored.
Technology Features use with the JOYTECH 8" Digital LCD Monitor for the Slim Line PS2 Technology Features use with the JOYTECH 8 "Digital LCD Monitor for the Slim Line PS2

Last edited by Allen1; 03 May 2010 at 21:24. Reason: A bit more info:
Old 03 May 2010, 21:40   #22
Philophus

That could be interesting...
Old 03 May 2010, 23:09   #23
Allen1

I got one of those PS2 monitors after reading Photon's post and was just about to solder some cable to it when I went to double check the pinouts and thought of looking for the TV adapter while I was about it. Now I have just screwed it all back together as its worth spending a tenner on something like this before committing any modifications till you are sure they are needed.

You can also use the monitor on a phat PS2 by connecting 2 playstation RCA leads together, one into the monitors back socket and one in the PS2, then connect the phono's to each other for sound and video, not a bad picture too
Old 04 May 2010, 18:29   #24
Photon

Well, there's a SCART cable for it as well, if you're interested. Thought about buying one and use it to connect the Amiga, but it was easy to measure out the pinout.
Old 04 May 2010, 18:48   #25
Npl

I have yet to try to connect my Monitor to the Miggy, but I have high hopes that it works. Many current Monitors with both HDMI and VGA Inputs support the full range of TV-Resolutions (Pal & NTSC included) and allow a RGB-Signal.

Just need to find the time to dig out schematics and buy the parts needed (those DB23 Plugs are hard to find)
Old 04 May 2010, 19:38   #26
Allen1

Quote:
Well, there's a SCART cable for it as well, if you're interested. Thought about buying one and use it to connect the Amiga, but it was easy to measure out the pinout.

I was going to wire it up using your method which looks and sounds great but I have held off till I see what this adapter can do, it will be handy if I can also use my old Xbox with it as well as using it when I need to tweak my satellite dish and the likes.

There isn't much in the way of pictures for the TV adapter and the text I found came from another site that google translated to English for me. I like the 15pin VGA IN connector which could be handy and may be good to connect a Minimig to if it goes that low.

I have had confirmation that this has been shipped today and I'm looking forward to seeing what this combination can really do

Update:-

The adapter came today and is a nice bit of kit and the TV picture quality is great as is the input through composite EXT. The VGA input has to be 640 x 480 resolution (60Hz Max) to work. My Minimig just shows up for a second then disappears and the laptop that I am using doesn't go that low but I will use an older model at a later date. I also tried the SCART with my Amiga 600 and the RGB lead I made that works with my TV's but the screen stays black so I may have to disconnect RGB-select and Aspect Ratio etc but I will look into that when I have the time. I haven't tried the S-Video as I have nothing on hand to plug into it, there are a lot of options to play with while using this like plugging in a video camera on mini camera etc to use as a decent magnifier while inspecting circuit boards and solder joints, a lot smaller and easier on the eye than the CRT monitor I used for that purpose a while ago

Another update :-

I ended up opening the adapter to find that the red, blue add green are not in fact routed to the scart connector although they appear on the connector on the circuit board. I wired up the corresponding pins but still no joy, the scart only seems to work via composite video and audio left and right ie using a phono to scart adapter, this is basically another switched version of the RCA sockets that are on the side for composite video and audio left and right.

A real pity that the scart is not RGB capable but the amount of inputs this adapter allows really does make it worth getting if you already have a Playstation Slim and the 8" screen. I am still pleased I got the screen and adapter as it will still allow me to take it outside and adjust my motorised dish when high winds have done their work plus I can use it for many other games consoles

Last edited by Allen1; 09 May 2010 at 14:47. Reason: Updated again :)
Old 11 April 2011, 11:05   #27
antoniotiti

Hi, first of all sorry for my English, I'm Spanish.
Seeking information on Joytech 8 "PSTwo screen, VGA adapter and wanted to know if you need the adapter to connect a PC to monitor or can be made ​​directly through a cable. I find no information about this or have seen that you have one and have been researching about it. Can you help? Thanks

Old 11 April 2011, 12:32   #28
Hewitson

I have 2 Panasonic LCD's and 1 Panasonic Plasma.. None have any scaling artifacts whatsoever on the Amiga (the C64 is a different story).
Old 11 April 2011, 21:53   #29
antoniotiti

I connected a VGA cable 25-pin output on this screen, but I can not see a pc, when I change the menu screen mode I get no VGA, all I get is, DVD, RGB, YCbCr. Can you tell me if necessary, the AV adapter to see in the screen the PC, so I select the VGA option or if you can do in some way. Please're the only person I've found that this screen has been researching and that with her to find the connections. Thanks

Last edited by antoniotiti; 11 April 2011 at 23:55.

Old 12 April 2011, 00:13   #30
Photon

Allen1: great But the monitor 100% supports "RGB SCART", so I guess that the RGB is simply not output to the SCART.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniotiti View Post
I connected a VGA cable 25-pin output on this screen, but I can not see a pc, when I change the menu screen mode I get no VGA, all I get is, DVD, RGB, YCbCr. Can you tell me if necessary, the AV adapter to see in the screen the PC, so I select the VGA option or if you can do in some way. Please're the only person I've found that this screen has been researching and that with her to find the connections. Thanks
Well, did you check out Allen1's link to VGA-to-composite-converter-box?

Normally you would only press the input-source button under the Joytech LCD to switch modes.

If you want true VGA and not composite video like Allen1 it gets more tricky... I gave it another try and this is what I found so far...

Some pinouts are on pinouts.ru now. This is to make a cable to a "normal" VGA monitor: http://pinouts.ru/Game/playstation_v...e_pinout.shtml

BUT as you can see it warns that the monitor must support syncing to the green signal, and I'm not sure VGA monitors in general support that. I've never tried to connect mine to a VGA signal, only PAL and NTSC RGB output.

The pinout is "in the other direction" from what you want, I couldn't find any other. So is the Joytech capable of receiving VGA? Well, does Playstation 2 output VGA?

Yes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlaySta...specifications

But does it output the same as a PC?

No: http://oneduasan.wordpress.com/2006/...rtlcd-monitor/ See also http://kernelloader.sourceforge.net/linux.html

This doesn't help you since it's still the other way... you will have to make something with cables and electronics, I think. The big question is if the timing of that resolution on your PC gfx card is the same as what the PS2 outputs. It doesn't seem so, since as you can see they use a component box to connect to a normal VGA monitor. If the video connector (both in Playstation and Joytech screen, "Multi AV" was made for a signal compatible with PC, you would only need to add the sync to the G component. And apparently it's more tricky...

Maybe someone else has done this the other way and can give more electronics advice, let's see if they can say if it's possible. Otherwise Joytech also made a 7.2" XBox screen which could maybe support what you want, check gameseek.co.uk or amazon.com.

You can also get a video card for your PC that outputs composite, but it will of course not be as sharp and nice as 640x480 RGB - same quality as with Allen1's converter box.

I am also looking for another Joytech 8". I can buy it if you want to get a real VGA LCD or if you decide it's too hard to do. But wait a few days, maybe a guru comes in and says it's possible with some electronics
Old 12 April 2011, 00:46   #31
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Quote:
But I am now sure I have the best screen in existance for displaying PAL graphics regardless of 'console' and I'm very happy
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...t/RIMG0002.jpg ?

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34139

that monitor does like 15-50khz horizontal and 40-120hz vertical

little bit heavier than yours i guess though
Old 12 April 2011, 17:19   #32
antoniotiti

Quote:
Allen1: great But the monitor 100% supports "RGB SCART", so I guess that the RGB is simply not output to the SCART.

Well, did you check out Allen1's link to VGA-to-composite-converter-box?

Normally you would only press the input-source button under the Joytech LCD to switch modes.

If you want true VGA and not composite video like Allen1 it gets more tricky... I gave it another try and this is what I found so far...

Some pinouts are on pinouts.ru now. This is to make a cable to a "normal" VGA monitor: http://pinouts.ru/Game/playstation_v...e_pinout.shtml

BUT as you can see it warns that the monitor must support syncing to the green signal, and I'm not sure VGA monitors in general support that. I've never tried to connect mine to a VGA signal, only PAL and NTSC RGB output.

The pinout is "in the other direction" from what you want, I couldn't find any other. So is the Joytech capable of receiving VGA? Well, does Playstation 2 output VGA?

Yes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlaySta...specifications

But does it output the same as a PC?

No: http://oneduasan.wordpress.com/2006/...rtlcd-monitor/ See also http://kernelloader.sourceforge.net/linux.html

This doesn't help you since it's still the other way... you will have to make something with cables and electronics, I think. The big question is if the timing of that resolution on your PC gfx card is the same as what the PS2 outputs. It doesn't seem so, since as you can see they use a component box to connect to a normal VGA monitor. If the video connector (both in Playstation and Joytech screen, "Multi AV" was made for a signal compatible with PC, you would only need to add the sync to the G component. And apparently it's more tricky...

Maybe someone else has done this the other way and can give more electronics advice, let's see if they can say if it's possible. Otherwise Joytech also made a 7.2" XBox screen which could maybe support what you want, check gameseek.co.uk or amazon.com.

You can also get a video card for your PC that outputs composite, but it will of course not be as sharp and nice as 640x480 RGB - same quality as with Allen1's converter box.

I am also looking for another Joytech 8". I can buy it if you want to get a real VGA LCD or if you decide it's too hard to do. But wait a few days, maybe a guru comes in and says it's possible with some electronics

Thanks for responding, I found these photos by whether they can help.

Table 8 is the 25 pin connector that has the screen. In the van connected all the cables from the other squares.

Table 2 is the pin for VGA, the other squares are for other outlets.

I have made ​​a cable connected to 2 square pins with a VGA connector, and I've plugged into the computer, but not seen on the screen.

I have attached following this scheme

When I give the menu screen to select the video mode, I get no VGA mode, it shows only 3 modes (DVD, RGB, YCbCr), what I want to know if the VGA mode is enabled only when connect the AV-adapter sold on Amazon, or if there is any way to enable it without buying the AV-adapter.

My graphics card that supports 640x480 resolution is the resolution supported by the monitor, that's what put me here
http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/631/631696p1.html

I hope you can help me thanks

Old 12 April 2011, 20:03   #33
Photon

antoniotiti, if you had posted that instead, I wouldn't have had to write so much

Thanks for the great pictures!

I don't know how you can be so sure the pinout at /2/ is VGA in. Is it on some schematic? If the Playstation 2 (which this screen is made for) output PC-VGA, why are those component boxes needed to connect a PC CRT monitor to PS2? (See pics in my last post). This is the big question.

However if you connect a VGA cable from a PS2 to Joytech, you must agree that it's connected NOT by opening, soldering to pinout /2/, etc... right? Otherwise you're 'hacking it' and then of course you shouldn't wonder 'why isn't hackVGA mode added to the mode list'? (If you get what I mean... )

BUT: if you have measured from pinout /2/ to pinout /8/ and see that r,g,b,hs,vs is connected, and if /2/ = VGA, then VGA could be possible.

If this is true, you should connect GND to pin 11 of the VGA connector to set the correct monitor ID, in case your PC graphics card needs it. See http://pinouts.ru/Video/VGA15_pinout.shtml

After that I'm out of ideas. I will point Zrx-Oms to this thread and see if he has some

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...t/RIMG0002.jpg ?

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34139

that monitor does like 15-50khz horizontal and 40-120hz vertical

little bit heavier than yours i guess though
Updated the original post with the acronym LCD squeezed in between 'best' and 'screen'... I'm a CRT man at home, this is for my portable Amiga
Old 12 April 2011, 21:00   #34
Photon

OK, ZrX-Oms asked me to forward the following information:

Pinout /2/ is connected to the 25-pin DSUB via the Joytech board, see http://oms.wmhost.com/joytech.txt

He connected RGB,VS,HS,GND like you did antoniotiti - to the 25-pin DSUB.

If you connect pin 4 to pin 19 on the DSUB you will enable the other modes including VGA!

What he got (in Windows) was the VGA picture, but moved up and left a little outside the LCD and warped graphics in the top right corner: http://oms.wmhost.com/joy-epr1.jpg

Maybe in Linux with a custom modeline resolution file, it is possible...?

Hope it works for you now

Last edited by Photon; 12 April 2011 at 21:44.
Old 12 April 2011, 23:50   #35
antoniotiti

It says to connect the VGA connector pin 4 to pin 19 of the 25-pin connector on the screen? should connect with the pins 5 +6 +7 +8 +10 +11?
if so tomorrow I test it. Thank you very much for your help, hope it works. Tomorrow I'll comment if it worked.

Old 13 April 2011, 00:12   #36
Claw22000

Toshiba Regza 42". And I love it. It will display NTSC PAL and VGA looks amazing.

I'm have always loved Toshiba Screens even have an old 64" projection screen.
Old 13 April 2011, 21:38   #37
Photon

Yeah, a good projector actually isn't half bad when it comes to "CRT replacement". Bit hard to use at demoparties as in my case no matter how compact they are, but no reason why it couldn't be an awesome alternative to whatever LCDs the local store has to offer, for living room usefulness.

And it's actually thinner than the thinnest flatscreen, isn't it

Actually considered one to use as a common solution to all my consoles+Amigas in the living room. But I opted for the 32" CRT TV instead.
Old 13 April 2011, 22:02   #38
antoniotiti

Quote:
OK, ZrX-Oms asked me to forward the following information:

Pinout /2/ is connected to the 25-pin DSUB via the Joytech board, see http://oms.wmhost.com/joytech.txt

He connected RGB,VS,HS,GND like you did antoniotiti - to the 25-pin DSUB.

If you connect pin 4 to pin 19 on the DSUB you will enable the other modes including VGA!

What he got (in Windows) was the VGA picture, but moved up and left a little outside the LCD and warped graphics in the top right corner: http://oms.wmhost.com/joy-epr1.jpg

Maybe in Linux with a custom modeline resolution file, it is possible...?

Hope it works for you now
Hello again, I've gotten in the menu on the screen I leave the VGA input, I get to see the computer when in the Bios of the motherboard but can not see anything when it comes in Windows.

I changed the resolution to 640x480 but I can not display anything. Can you see when he went into Windows? What resolution?.

As you said, I also distorts the picture, in my case deforms on the bottom and top. How can you fix?

Many thanks for your help, because without it still would be unable to select the VGA input on the screen

Old 14 April 2011, 21:57   #39
Photon

Yeah, it's tricky. Zrx-Oms succeeded by setting the 640x480 mode to 60 Hz (vFreq).

It's a question of feeding the screen the exact same timings as what a PS2 gives. On PC gfx cards you have pixelclock, vFreq and hFreq, which all have to be in the correct range. Together with this, other values give the horizontal flyback time and vertical start (top) of the picture.

All these values are a "modeline" (google). In Linux you can program them in a text file, which then forms a custom Resolution, like the ones you see in Windows (640x480, 1024x768, etc).

On Windows, you can experiment with timings in a program called PowerStrip in real-time! And when you have a picture that works you can create a custom Resolution for your gfx card. Don't experiment too far, screen will hopefully just display "Signal Out Of Range" if you make a mistake, but this is a power user program so there's always a risk.

For the distortion, me and ZrX-Oms have no solution. Maybe it will magically fix itself if all the frequencies are correct.

Edit: I should add that the last posts is just for 640x480 VGA compatibility, and is not related to the Joytech's excellence in displaying Amiga graphics. It's simply the best and if you have one spare, I want to buy it

Last edited by Photon; 22 October 2011 at 23:20.
Old 10 December 2011, 21:54   #40
Photon

Just got 3 broken ones and repaired two. Haven't checked the third yet. So now my A1700 will get the portable treatment

I edited the original post to clarify exactly how to do the mod to fix the oversaturation "swelled pixel edges" problem caused by bad default settings in the eeprom. (There might be a much simpler way to do this but I haven't tried it yet.)