English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 January 2024, 00:59   #1
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Amiga confessions...

Trying to start a light-hearted thread to counter-balance the 150+ page "what if" threads that refuse to die...

Let us know some of your random Amiga confessions.

I'll start...

1. Back in the day, I watched the intro to Microcosm countless times, but rarely actually played the game, and when I did, it was with the cheat just to watch all the other FMV sequences.
2. I've never played Gods.
3. I've almost certainly spent an unhealthy amount of my life setting up Workbench installations to my liking, installing stuff, snapshotting icons, etc, in fact possibly more than actually playing games.
4. I've never owned an Amiga 500.
5. I've not been brave enough to tell my partner how much my A1200 PiStorm setup cost (I suspect this one and similar is common).
6. I once bought a towered A1200 with Mediator, monitor, etc. off somebody on eBay in the early 2000's (year, not price!) just for the Apollo 1260. I split up and sold the rest, and actually got more than what I paid for it all...
Old 28 January 2024, 09:26   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
You should 'fix' that I'd recommend to approach it more like a puzzle game with action elements rather than a platformer.
Old 28 January 2024, 10:42   #3
Megalomaniac

1 I've never played Dune II
2 I never completed level 2 of First Samurai
3 I never owned a printer for an Amiga (and so never really did anything 'useful' with it beyond games)
4 I never owned anything beyond 512+512 1.3 68000 until this century
Old 28 January 2024, 10:49   #4
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I have never played Sensible Soccer.
I own Powermonger but never really played it past the intro movie.
I once threw a Commodore 64 in the bin after removing as many chips as possible and the Commodore key.
Old 28 January 2024, 18:16   #5
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Admirable effort, but you are not going to drown out the "what if" threads, unless they get their own forum section, where the same 10 people can bicker in perpetuity

Here's my confession: I never owned an Amiga until the mid-2000s.
Old 28 January 2024, 19:06   #6
Gorf

Quote:
1. Back in the day, I watched the intro to Microcosm countless times, but rarely actually played the game, and when I did, it was with the cheat just to watch all the other FMV sequences.
I sometimes started "Rings of Medusa" just to listen to the music. Never really played the game.

Quote:
3. I've almost certainly spent an unhealthy amount of my life setting up Workbench installations to my liking, installing stuff, snapshotting icons, etc, in fact possibly more than actually playing games.
Same here.
The Workbench: maybe the best game ever written for the Amiga

Quote:
I did, but I managed to sell it to a mate for the price of a new one in 91.
I argued its value, because of all the software it would come with ... which was mostly pirated. That was really not a fair move from my side, but I needed the money to afford an A3000.

And of course the most obvious confession:
I never solved my trauma caused by the demise of my favorite computing platform ...

Last edited by Gorf; 28 January 2024 at 19:13.
Old 28 January 2024, 19:13   #7
drHirudo
Amiga user

I've connected Brother Daisy Wheel printer to my Amiga 500 and used it to print university conspectus.
Old 28 January 2024, 21:28   #8
Aulapatchuc

I only bought Amigas till 1994. I owned six of them bought in the Commodore years.
I never played Sensi Soccer.
I use my Amigas mostly for productivity stuff.
I have printers attached on my Amiga since day one.
My niece plays many Amiga games on my A500 and she will inherit all my Amigas.
Old 29 January 2024, 19:03   #9
dannyp1

I've been into Amiga for over 25 years now but rarely play any games. 95% of my game playing is playing public domain card games such as solitaire, spades, and euchre. I play them to take a break from all the time I spend messing around with the workbench and trying out patches and different cards. I own many games but seldom play any.
Old 29 January 2024, 19:23   #10
Amigajay

1 - I never bought any Amiga brand new (A500 i swapped for my MD, CD32 i got 2nd hand a month after launch), CDTV i bought on eBay before the vampires came with the retro boom.
2 - I viewed plenty of soft por-n on it!
3 - As with the first post, i bought Microcosm and viewed the intro more times than i played the actual game!
4 - I wiped my mates original copy of Sensible Soccer before it hit the shops, trying to copy it!
5 - I spend more money on Amiga magazines than buying games every month.
Old 29 January 2024, 19:41   #11
desiv

Quote:
Yeah, I'm in the same boat here.
I generally spend more time setting up and playing with my WB setups than I do actually playing games...
I've always done that, as I just love playing with systems...
When I got Amiga OS3.2, I never considered upgrading...
I went right to a new install and re-setting it up...
More fun that a game of Gods there... ;-)

I suppose my only other confession is that while I love games, I am generally not any good at them. So frequently the demos in the magazines were plenty for me, as I'd rarely ever even finish the demo. ;-)
Old 29 January 2024, 19:41   #12
aNdy/AL/COS

I hated Populous. Still do.
Old 29 January 2024, 20:51   #13
Paul_s

Unhappy

Final Copy IIB crashed whilst writing a college assignment and I lost several pages of work... slapped my keyboard somewhat.
Old 29 January 2024, 21:12   #14
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Strangely beside Xenon 1, Speedball 1 and Chaos Engine (posthumosly), most of the Bitmap Brothers stuff did not click with me
Old 29 January 2024, 21:20   #15
CCCP alert

I always thought the Amiga (A1000) was the best computer in the world, still do, but not the best games machine. Not a negative thing, just using the machine in those early days in 1987 was just a magical experience, even just running multiple programs on the desktop (auto playing mod tune programs and text viewer at the same time to read scene docs or lists etc). Text to speech Amiga BASIC example program. Felt more like the UNIX machines I used at work than the DOS PCs I used a few months earlier in college.
Old 29 January 2024, 22:20   #16
Amiga Lifestyle

"We" referring to my friends at the time.

*We preferred Goal to Sensi OR Kickoff (I do prefer Sensi now)

*We preferred Lotus 3 to 1 or 2 and Jaguar XJ220 to Lotus.

*We liked Deathmask. At the time.

*We all thought the Amiga Street Fighter 2 port was great.

*As a teenager I never completed Turrican 2 without cheating. I did do this later.

*I've never completed the original Alien Breed without cheating.

*I never liked Sim City.

*I did use my Amiga for school work like I promised my parents.

*I have never owned a CD drive.

*The height of my programming skills was writing a linux bash script once. I just don't have the patience and mentality for it.
Old 29 January 2024, 22:36   #17
stx2199

Quote:
Trying to start a light-hearted thread to counter-balance the 150+ page "what if" threads that refuse to die...

Let us know some of your random Amiga confessions.

I'll start...

5. I've not been brave enough to tell my partner how much my A1200 PiStorm setup cost (I suspect this one and similar is common).
6. I once bought a towered A1200 with Mediator, monitor, etc. off somebody on eBay in the early 2000's (year, not price!) just for the Apollo 1260. I split up and sold the rest, and actually got more than what I paid for it all...
your point number 3 is the most common bad habit of all Amiga fans here and there
Old 30 January 2024, 00:40   #18
cookieninja

Confessions:
1. I bought some original games
2. I've never used a big box Amiga
3. I kept Amiga as my only computer until 2002
4. I've never played Speedball 1
5. I had never even heard of an Amiga until my brother bought one.
6. Prior to 5 above, I lusted after an Atari ST, seeing their adverts with a massive bundle of games that looked (to me) like Arcade games
Old 30 January 2024, 09:28   #19
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieninja View Post
Confessions:
1. I bought some original games
2. I've never used a big box Amiga
3. I kept Amiga as my only computer until 2002
4. I've never played Speedball 1
5. I had never even heard of an Amiga until my brother bought one.
6. Prior to 5 above, I lusted after an Atari ST, seeing their adverts with a massive bundle of games that looked (to me) like Arcade games
1 - me too from 1993 onwards when i lost contact….with my contact!
2 - nor me, never seen one in the flesh either.
3 - my dad bought a PC at Xmas 1997, when it changed for us, but never enjoyed using any PC as much even before nostalgia kicked-in.
4 - I didn’t until the early 2000s.
5&6 - I didn’t register an ‘Amiga’ computer until i saw one in Dixons running SOTB in 1989, until then as you say the Atari ST was the rich mans computer, great screenshots on Spectrum boxes and those massive bundles. I started buying C&VG in 1990 and started to learn the Amiga was where it was at!
Old 30 January 2024, 11:45   #20
zipper

1. Got a Micronik tower for my A500. Installed an Apollo 520 in to it the wrong way. Poof! The holy smoke came out. Had to replace it with an Blizzard 2060 - lucky but costly error, the end result was a great delight.