English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 February 2014, 13:56   #1
vulture

Forgotten worlds, recommended control enhancement

So, after a long time, I've played a little our version of Forgotten Worlds and it's pretty good. I mean, sure, it's a glorified ST port, few colors and all, but at least it's fast, full screen and we've got a proper parallax layer instead of ST's star field. Oh yes, better sound too. So, a very nice result for a US Gold conversion! But (and that's a big one) the control scheme is abysmal to say the least. So, I've thought of a few alternative control schemes that could be implemented by someone skilled enough to the whdload version and make it more playable:

1. For 1 button sticks:

When the fire button is pressed rapidly and not constantly, allows for no rotation when pressing left/right. Otherwise, if it's constantly pressed it works like before.

2. For 2 button pads/sticks:

Fire button 1 pressed autofires, but doesn't allow rotation when left/right is pressed. Instead, when the 2nd fire button is pressed along with left/right, the aim is rotated. Allows for button 1 and 2 to be pressed at once for firing while rotating.

3. For cd32 pads:

When the fire button is pressed, it won't allow rotation with left/right, instead, that'll happen with the shoulder buttons.

4. Keyboard + mouse (suggested by s2325):

Cursor keys move the sprite around, mouse fires and rotates the aim. This one could be a good Midnight Resistance alternative too, with right mouse launching weapon 2.

5. For 1 button sticks (suggested by Minuous):

Permanent autofire, aim rotates with left/right only if the fire button is pressed.

Of course, I've absolutely no idea if this easy to modify, it may never happen.

Now, before I file this to WHDLoad/Mantis for enhancement, I'd like your thoughts people. Do you think my alternatives make sense? Do you feel they're good enough to make the game more playable? Any more/better suggestions on this?

Thx!

Last edited by vulture; 15 February 2014 at 08:57.
Old 14 February 2014, 14:01   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

How about controls from Walker? Mouse to rotate and shoot, cursors to move.
Old 14 February 2014, 14:21   #3
vulture

That's another great idea!
Old 14 February 2014, 22:34   #4
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Yes, the controls for this game are truly awful, it needs to have autofire built in, also you can't rotate the gun without also moving your man.

I played some console version, it used two buttons for rotating the gun (one clockwise, one anticlockwise). And of course no need for a firebutton for this game (except in shops), it had permanent autofire. Something like that would be good for CD32 pad and 2-button joysticks.

I also like the Walker-style mouse control idea, except with permanent autofire of course.

For 1-button joysticks, have gun rotation when holding down the button and movement when not holding it down. And permanent autofire.

Last edited by Minuous; 14 February 2014 at 23:07.
Old 15 February 2014, 08:55   #5
vulture

Sure, that sounds very convenient! added to first post! Thx!
Old 15 February 2014, 17:14   #6
s2325
Zone Friend

I think Walker controls should be also in Cabal.
Old 15 February 2014, 18:11   #7
vulture

I could file an enhancement request for that as well! Let's see if someone will get any of these done!