English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 10 June 2020, 17:53   #221
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Have you tried using 68030 + FPU?
Unfortunately FS-UAE doesn't support a 68030 with a 68882 FPU, at least, not to the best of my knowledge.

All is good. I have both versions in my Quake directory. I can run the JIT disabled version to play regular quake and I can apparently run the JIT enabled version to play the Alien mod. I was playing around with it - it didn't dump and send me error screens like the standard Quake did running at 68060 JIT enabled.

Last edited by Weaselrama; 10 June 2020 at 17:56. Reason: add info
Old 10 June 2020, 20:35   #222
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

I've been following today's WinUAE thread. The amount of minute control it has over JIT, the addition of FPU, cache settings, etc., is astounding compared to FS-UAE. To be expected of an app that has WinUAE's pedigree. I can't wait to see what FS-UAE looks like in the 4.x series Frode has been working on. He and Toni are amazing guys.
Old 10 June 2020, 20:37   #223
DamienD
Banned

I'm not saying adapting code is easy but... I do wonder what FS-UAE would be like if it didn't use Toni's hard work / code as a base though?

No matter what Amiga emulator you use; people owe a lot to Master Wilen.
Old 10 June 2020, 21:01   #224
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I'm not saying adapting code is easy but... I do wonder what FS-UAE would be like if it didn't use Toni's hard work / code as a base though?

No matter what Amiga emulator you use; people owe a lot to Master Wilen.
I agree wholeheartedly with the praise for Toni and I don't think Frode would disagree with you. Can you imagine, though, porting an app with the history of WinUAE to the Mac or Linux? I myself am grateful for both their efforts.
Old 10 June 2020, 21:08   #225
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselrama View Post
Can you imagine, though, porting an app with the history of WinUAE to the Mac or Linux?
Nope, that's why I said: "I'm not saying adapting code is easy".
Old 10 June 2020, 21:16   #226
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Nope, that's why I said: "I'm not saying adapting code is easy".
As an aside, I'd been following a couple of forums dealing with Netsurf. Some non-developers were talking a lot of theory about what Netsurf could be made to do with CSS and Javascript on the OS3 platform. They were comparing the main development branch and Arti's compile. Anyway someone finally spoke up and said, "yeah guys, why don't you give it a go? I have - and I have quite a bit of experience writing and compiling applications and I'm telling you, *Netsurf is an absolute monster to compile* let alone add features. I don't think either of you has a clue just how much code is there." I bet this is doubly true for WinUAE.
Old 11 June 2020, 15:03   #227
Havie

I'd like to see if/how this would run on my A1200 030+FPU but only have a measly 16mb of ram!
Old 11 June 2020, 15:23   #228
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
I'd like to see if/how this would run on my A1200 030+FPU but only have a measly 16mb of ram!
It might run with 16 MB (I've never tried), expect sub 1 FPS performance if you do get it running even in NTSC mode
Old 11 June 2020, 16:48   #229
Havie

No - refused to run. Clicking the icon does nothing at all (I assume it should be the WinUAE icon). The other icon crashes with an error.

I'll just have to wait for a Vampire 1200...
Old 17 June 2020, 14:02   #230
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

AmiQuake AGA/RTG v1.30 is out on Aminet.

This is a wonderful improvement to the former version. Oddly, I cannot load old saved games - Quake (and my Amiga) freeze. However, I can play new saved games including the Alien conversion. Previously, I could only play but saved games seemed to be corrupt. Anyway, all seems to be well.

640x480 flies now where previously there were frame drops. I'll report anything new I find but I'd like to thank @NovaCoder once again for another great release.
Old 17 June 2020, 14:10   #231
NovaCoder

Quote:

This is a wonderful improvement to the former version. Oddly, I cannot load old saved games - Quake (and my Amiga) freeze. However, I can play new saved games including the Alien conversion. Previously, I could only play but saved games seemed to be corrupt. Anyway, all seems to be well.

640x480 flies now where previously there were frame drops. I'll report anything new I find but I'd like to thank @NovaCoder once again for another great release.
No worries, glad you like it
Old 17 June 2020, 14:18   #232
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

One last note, 800 x 600 plays nicely as well. I played in 800 x 600 a few times in the previous release and it wasn't really worth it. Now it is.
Old 18 June 2020, 13:44   #233
James

Quote:
Still working on my scripts, have added environment variables for the Quake executable and display type so that they can be easily changed globally. Need to test how they work with these new versions...
Old 18 June 2020, 14:40   #234
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Still working on my scripts, have added environment variables for the Quake executable and display type so that they can be easily changed globally. Need to test how they work with these new versions...
Cool, no rush

I'll update the readme and have a play through some mods when you are happy with it all.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 19 June 2020 at 02:48.
Old 04 July 2020, 12:29   #235
James

Quote:
Not had as much time to work on this as I would like, but getting there slowly...
AmiQuake AGA is working well for the most part, just the odd crash here and there, but can't get AmiQuake RTG to work (on WinUAE).
It fails before the first map loads, error.txt reports:

Draw_Pic: bad coordinates
Old 04 July 2020, 13:33   #236
NovaCoder

Quote:
Not had as much time to work on this as I would like, but getting there slowly...
AmiQuake AGA is working well for the most part, just the odd crash here and there, but can't get AmiQuake RTG to work (on WinUAE).
It fails before the first map loads, error.txt reports:

Draw_Pic: bad coordinates
That's strange, it should work for WinUAE

I'll upload some pics of my WinUAE setup for you

Also updated 060 AGA/RTG build on AmiNet

Last edited by NovaCoder; 27 December 2020 at 13:08.
Old 05 July 2020, 14:44   #237
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Also updated 060 AGA/RTG build on AmiNet
Tried both of these, RTG version still has the same problem, maybe it's because I'm emulating a 68040?
AGA version still works, so will continue testing my scripts with that.
Old 09 July 2020, 15:10   #238
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Thanks very much for the update. The RTG version just keeps getting better. A few small glitches in rendering (about which I don't honestly recall the details) no longer appear in the current level I'm playing, The Necropolis, as they did in the previous. Thanks again!
Old 09 July 2020, 15:38   #239
Daedalus

Quote:
Unfortunately FS-UAE doesn't support a 68030 with a 68882 FPU, at least, not to the best of my knowledge.
Perhaps an old post, but I'd like to point out that it does indeed support the 68882 FPU, along with most other UAE and WinUAE features. It just doesn't include them in the GUI, which is aimed at simplicity for common use cases.

Add the line

Code:
fpu = 68882
to the config and you'll have an FPU in addition to the 68030 selected by the GUI.
Old 10 July 2020, 09:46   #240
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Perhaps an old post, but I'd like to point out that it does indeed support the 68882 FPU, along with most other UAE and WinUAE features. It just doesn't include them in the GUI, which is aimed at simplicity for common use cases.

Add the line

Code:
fpu = 68882
to the config and you'll have an FPU in addition to the 68030 selected by the GUI.
I should have corrected the old post, I'd forgotten about it. Yeah, I found this along with some other goodies regarding CPU settings for FS-UAE. The online documentation for FS-UAE is a bit fragmented but this info is actually there and complete so far as I know.