English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 12 May 2007, 15:58   #1
Graham Humphrey

Games competitons?

Here's an idea, I'm not sure if it's been done on EAB before but here we go...

I was thinking that maybe we could run a competition for certain games over a short-ish period of time (a bit like Lemon Amiga's I guess) - you know, just for a bit of fun, who can get the highest score/shortest lap time etc.

Obviously you'd need to provide proof in some way (i.e. screenshots in WinUAE, or photos taken with a digital camera/mobile phone, or even highscore files) and post them on here.

Would anyone be interested in this? Any suggestions on what games we should use? Would be interested to hear your thoughts, if we get enough interest I'll start organising it.
Old 12 May 2007, 16:44   #2
DamienD
Banned

Personally I think it's a cool idea

It was suggested some time ago but unfortunately I'm unable to find exactly where now

Some people were concerned about cheating and how you could really prove scores etc...

I think some of the games suggested were the Digital Illusions / 21st Century pinball games but there's loads of others that would be good for this
Old 12 May 2007, 16:45   #3
Graham Humphrey

Okay then, I've thought about it a bit and here's what I come up with: (idea shamelessly stolen from Lemon Amiga )
  • Everyone votes on what game they would like to play the week before the competition is due to start. You can vote for three games, however they must be ordered 1, 2, and 3. 1st place gets 3 pts, 2nd 2 pts and 3rd 1 pt. Anyone's votes who don't follow this won't count.
  • We then play the game for two weeks (anyone can enter this competition at any time BTW) and you can post as many scores as you like in this period. However you MUST provide proof of some sort (see first post) and you MUST also write your score in your post.
  • At the end of the two weeks, I'll put the scores in order and have a scoring system as follows: 1st place gets 12pts, 2nd place 10pts, 3rd place 8pts, 4th place 7pts, 5th place 6pts, 6th place 5pts, 7th place 4pts, 8th place 3pts, 9th place 2pts and 10th place 1pt.
  • We then have another voting period, and the cycle starts again (the same game can't be played twice in a season).
This carries on for six months, and the player with the most points overall at the end of the season wins the league. We then start the thing all over again

So what do you lot think? Any feedback/suggestions for rules? Would you like to give it a go? Let me know ASAP and we'll get started!
Old 12 May 2007, 16:48   #4
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
Personally I think it's a cool idea

It was suggested some time ago but unfortunately I'm unable to find exactly where now

Some people were concerned about cheating and how you could really prove scores etc...

I think some of the games suggested were the P21st Century / Digital Illusions pinball games
Posted at the same time as you there

Yeah I understand the whole cheating thing, but as long as you screenshots etc. then I personally don't see it as a problem. We'll have to take it on trust, and anyway it's only a bit of fun

I think it would be a cool thing to do personally, I'm prepared to organize the entire thing if enough people show interest.
Old 12 May 2007, 16:55   #5
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

1. IK+
2. Slam Tilt
3. Lotus 2
Old 12 May 2007, 16:59   #6
Graham Humphrey

Jumping the gun a bit there! I'll set up a new thread for votes for the sake of convenience I think. Sorry Belgarath If you hang on a few minutes could you post your votes in the new thread, thanks!
Old 12 May 2007, 17:07   #7
DamienD
Banned

Ah, found the old thread

Idea for new subforum - Highscores
Old 12 May 2007, 17:10   #8
Graham Humphrey

Good find there Damien!

Think my idea's a bit different though, i.e. a "proper" league which that one wasn't going to be I think
Old 12 May 2007, 17:20   #9
BippyM
Global Moderator

personally we could play the games for 4 weeks, and vote at the same time for the next comp!

So
weeks 1-4 play game
weeks 1-3 voting for next round
weeks 3-4 votes counted for following round

This would mean the game playing is frantic and non-stop
Old 12 May 2007, 17:29   #10
Graham Humphrey

Not a bad idea Bippy, could be a bit of a pig on a personal level playing the games, sorting out the scores (points scoring in the league etc) and the votes in one go though

Maybe four weeks is a bit too long though. Two may be abit short (too stop-start), three might be a good number of weeks to settle on

I'll give this some thought I think!
Old 12 May 2007, 17:40   #11
Graham Humphrey

Okay then, based on Bippy's great idea, here's what I've decided on:

Three weeks for each game played:

Weeks 1-3 chosen game is played.
Week 2 - Next game is voted for

After week 2 I'll tot up the votes for the next game (so everyone knows a week in advance what to play next, and of course after week 3 I'll do the points scoring and update the league table. Also the only break in the playing will be the weekend after week 3 (to give me time to sort out all the scores and stuff).

Any comments on this?

Will post a 'rules' thread soon I think. Oh, and if this gets its own forum/sub-forum I'll happily moderate it
Old 14 May 2007, 21:35   #12
Haakon

Wouldn't it be better if, let say, the one who comes second chooses which game which shall be played next?

It would also mean that unknown games will/could get nominated, and not only the famous ones...
Old 14 May 2007, 21:35   #13
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

I guess we could take everyones choices and "pull them from a hat" ?
Old 14 May 2007, 21:38   #14
Haakon

Hmmm....i like that idea!
Old 14 May 2007, 21:40   #15
Graham Humphrey

Maybe next time.... a bit late for this round I think, but I'll give it some thought.
Old 14 May 2007, 21:43   #16
Haakon

When does this round start?
Again, i think it is a fantastic idea and look forward to try a lot of games i've never tried before...
Old 14 May 2007, 21:46   #17
Graham Humphrey

Next Monday