English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 21 March 2012, 03:14   #1
prowler
Global Moderator

Are these Cracks/Fixes/Trainers useful/rare?

Elsewhere, Musashi5150 has uploaded to The Zone a zip archive containing an image of a disk which, having been overwritten, contains neither a valid bootblock nor AmigaDOS formatting, but it does contain some LHA archives which I found by looking at the image with a binary file editor.

The following are included:
  1. FMRKatx-pre.lha
  2. FMRKchaosfix.lha
  3. FMRKdlm-dhlm.lha
  4. FMRKgod-clit.lha
  5. FMRKgod-hprt.lha
  6. FMRKgod-mnzt.lha
  7. FMRKheim2fix.lha
  8. FMRKhlm-bsd.lha
  9. FMRKhlm_h2tr.lha
  10. FMRKmld-tctr.lha
  11. FMRKpdx-h2fx.lha
I've extracted each file from the disk image and uploaded them to The Zone.

They are all intact except the last, which is truncated because the end of the disk image was reached.

I have reposted this information here where it will be more topical.

From the included file_id.diz files, the archives are identified, respectively, as follows:
  1. PREMiERE *AGA* CRACKED/FiXED BY METAL FORCE
  2. Chaos Engine AGA/CD32 A1200/A4000 fix
  3. TRAINED DANGEROUS STREETS [+11] -HLM VERSION
  4. CliffHanger Trainer (+8)
  5. HYPERION (+20) TRAINER (HLM VERSION)
  6. Mr Nutz Microtrainer (+5)
  7. Heimdall II FIX for ECS/AGA install on HD and 680x0 compability (for Paradox / TRSI / Fairlight version)
  8. DRACULA TRAINER
  9. Heimdall II Minitrainer (ALL VERSIONS). Includes also the PDX fix
  10. total carnage ecs trained by millenium and delight
  11. Heimdall II Graphics fix. Unpack to Disk 1. Works with all released versions!
It is uncertain whether the remainder of the last archive is present in the disk image or not. To find it (if it's in there) will not be a trivial matter, so I am asking whether I should pursue it or not.

If this archive is not worth the effort, then I'll put it on the back burner.

Thanks for reading.
Old 26 March 2012, 04:08   #2
Asle

I'll check versus Kestra tomorrow for the trainers/cracktros.
As for the "last archive", I guess you refer to the 11th. Being a "fix", it rarely comes with an intro, meaning that Kestra doesn't have it anywhere (and would stick to the intro anyway).

Thanks for sharing !
Sylvain
Old 26 March 2012, 09:40   #3
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

If you want prowler I'll try imaging cylinders 80/81 to see if there is anything up there. Might be an end to that archive up there
Old 26 March 2012, 10:50   #4
clauddio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Elsewhere, Musashi5150 has uploaded to The Zone a zip archive containing an image of a disk which, having been overwritten, contains neither a valid bootblock nor AmigaDOS formatting, but it does contain some LHA archives which I found by looking at the image with a binary file editor.

The following are included:
  1. FMRKatx-pre.lha
  2. FMRKchaosfix.lha
  3. FMRKdlm-dhlm.lha
  4. FMRKgod-clit.lha
  5. FMRKgod-hprt.lha
  6. FMRKgod-mnzt.lha
  7. FMRKheim2fix.lha
  8. FMRKhlm-bsd.lha
  9. FMRKhlm_h2tr.lha
  10. FMRKmld-tctr.lha
  11. FMRKpdx-h2fx.lha
I've extracted each file from the disk image and uploaded them to The Zone.

They are all intact except the last, which is truncated because the end of the disk image was reached.

I have reposted this information here where it will be more topical.

From the included file_id.diz files, the archives are identified, respectively, as follows:
  1. PREMiERE *AGA* CRACKED/FiXED BY METAL FORCE
  2. Chaos Engine AGA/CD32 A1200/A4000 fix
  3. TRAINED DANGEROUS STREETS [+11] -HLM VERSION
  4. CliffHanger Trainer (+8)
  5. HYPERION (+20) TRAINER (HLM VERSION)
  6. Mr Nutz Microtrainer (+5)
  7. Heimdall II FIX for ECS/AGA install on HD and 680x0 compability (for Paradox / TRSI / Fairlight version)
  8. DRACULA TRAINER
  9. Heimdall II Minitrainer (ALL VERSIONS). Includes also the PDX fix
  10. total carnage ecs trained by millenium and delight
  11. Heimdall II Graphics fix. Unpack to Disk 1. Works with all released versions!
It is uncertain whether the remainder of the last archive is present in the disk image or not. To find it (if it's in there) will not be a trivial matter, so I am asking whether I should pursue it or not.

If this archive is not worth the effort, then I'll put it on the back burner.

Thanks for reading.
it seems those cracks are all included in tosec except for cliffhanger trainer +8
we can create a new disk
Old 26 March 2012, 18:53   #5
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by clauddio View Post
it seems those cracks are all included in tosec except for cliffhanger trainer +8
Cliffhanger (1994)(Psygnosis)[cr PDY][t +8 GOD].adf
it seems this version is in TOSEC.
Old 26 March 2012, 22:01   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi5150 View Post
If you want prowler I'll try imaging cylinders 80/81 to see if there is anything up there. Might be an end to that archive up there
Hi Musashi,

Thanks for the offer. I know it's only an academic exercise now that these archives have been found in TOSEC, but please have a go if you can. I've never seen an Amiga disk which has been overwritten in quite the same way, so you never know what might be lurking there.

If there's nothing up there, I really think I'm wasting my time looking for the rest of it in the first half of the disk image. As the disk contains no format to speak of, it's unlikely that this file has 'wrapped around' like it would have on an ADOS formatted disk, and so it's most likely truncated.

PS. My thanks to everyone who replied! I really appreciate it.
Old 27 March 2012, 23:43   #7
Asle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asle View Post
I'll check versus Kestra tomorrow for the trainers/cracktros.
As for the "last archive", I guess you refer to the 11th. Being a "fix", it rarely comes with an intro, meaning that Kestra doesn't have it anywhere (and would stick to the intro anyway).

Thanks for sharing !
Sylvain
OK, cracktro/trainer wise, there was nothing "new" for Kestra.

Still, thanks again for sharing
Sylvain
Old 28 March 2012, 00:05   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asle View Post
OK, cracktro/trainer wise, there was nothing "new" for Kestra.

Still, thanks again for sharing
Sylvain
Because I found these files in most unusual circumstances, I felt I just HAD to share them.

Thanks for checking anyway, Sylvain.

Quote:
Hi Musashi,

There's a minimum of about 40kB missing from the end of that archive, therefore cylinders 80 and 81 aren't going to be sufficient to supply all the missing data. So, unless cylinders 82 and 83 also contain data, then it might be a futile exercise.

Do you have a drive that could check that, mate?
Old 28 March 2012, 09:36   #9
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi Musashi,

There's a minimum of about 40kB missing from the end of that archive, therefore cylinders 80 and 81 aren't going to be sufficient to supply all the missing data. So, unless cylinders 82 and 83 also contain data, then it might be a futile exercise.

Do you have a drive that could check that, mate?
IIRC my A4000 drive steps up pretty high as it was suitable for CAPS dumping - I also have a Kyroflux & CatWeasal so I'll give it a shot at the weekend. Nothing ventured, right? But I'd be surprised if there was anything up higher than 80 - I'd think it would be more likely that another disk was used as part of a backup set.
Old 28 March 2012, 21:40   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
IIRC my A4000 drive steps up pretty high as it was suitable for CAPS dumping - I also have a Kyroflux & CatWeasal so I'll give it a shot at the weekend. Nothing ventured, right?
Right - and thanks! If your A4000 drive was suitable for CAPS dumping, then I would guess it can handle 84 tracks alright. And KryoFlux can tell you straight away the maximum track your floppy drive can reach if you use the /c switch from the command line.

Quote:
But I'd be surprised if there was anything up higher than 80 - I'd think it would be more likely that another disk was used as part of a backup set.
Yes, I would be surprised as well, tbh. And I'm betting there's absolutely no chance you've got that other disk too, eh?
Old 30 March 2012, 22:39   #11
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Bad news prowler, I tried overdumping the disk and there's nothing up above cylinder 79

Academically I had a look at the first sector and noticed it starts "Qb62". On reflection I'd be willing to bet this is part of a larger Quarterback backup set. When I got this disk with some others years ago I did notice there were several disks with Qb62 on them but I just over wrote them as they were useless to me. The only reason I kept this one is because it's the original disk for this Zorro card. But there's no chance I have the remaining disks intact now.

So I'm afraid here endeth your quest

Now I've unearthed this card and found it's quite useless (except for collecting) it's kinda in my way So if you or anyone else wants it for postage (or swap for something) then be my guest
Old 30 March 2012, 22:54   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Bad news prowler, I tried overdumping the disk and there's nothing up above cylinder 79

Academically I had a look at the first sector and noticed it starts "Qb62". On reflection I'd be willing to bet this is part of a larger Quarterback backup set. When I got this disk with some others years ago I did notice there were several disks with Qb62 on them but I just over wrote them as they were useless to me. The only reason I kept this one is because it's the original disk for this Zorro card. But there's no chance I have the remaining disks intact now.
You're quite right! I did notice that string at the start of the disk image, but it's significance didn't hit me (I was really only checking for the "DOS" boot sector string ).

Quote:
So I'm afraid here endeth your quest
Not quite.

Actually, the empty cylinders aren't a problem now, because I fixed that archive earlier this evening by importing a matching heimdallii executable from a Heimdall 2 Disk 1 image I downloaded by following a link from HOL.

Edit: I've replaced that archive I uploaded to The Zone with another containing the fixed one. And that does end my quest!

Last edited by prowler; 30 March 2012 at 23:54.