English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 31 August 2007, 08:50   #1
keropi

What audio device for gaming pc?

[since there is no OT section that ppl might actually check, I post here my pc question... posts here are deleted automatically after inactivity, right?)

I have upgraded a little my home pc, and now it actually plays modern games...
I have a PeniumD 920 dual-core 4mb cache 2.80hgz cpu with 2GB DDR2 ram , a Biostar 8600GTS vga on an Asrock ConRoe1333-GLAN mobo...
now the onboard audio is: "7.1 CH Windows® Vista™ Premium Level HD Audio (ALC888 Audio Codec)" and I also have a SB Audigy1 pci card, that I used on my previous setup... what audio do u think I should use? right now I have the Audigy installed, but I wonder if the onboard one is better...

also, WTH after all drivers and windows updates, the system cannot standby/shutdown? I get the lame "you can now safely turn off your computer" screen!!!!! damn!
edit: now I see there are no ACPI devices installed... strange, since the BIOS acpi settings are enabled!

thanks!

Last edited by keropi; 31 August 2007 at 09:25.
Old 31 August 2007, 10:31   #2
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Man, with that horsepower you got you should try out Vista...maybe your "Vista" onboard sound then will blow your Audigy out of the sky
Old 31 August 2007, 10:34   #3
keropi

bah amigo, I am not that curious... not because I think vista is not good, time must pass until almost all progs adapt to vista
Old 31 August 2007, 10:44   #4
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

What are the specs of your Audigy1?
Old 31 August 2007, 11:13   #5
keropi

dunno, it is an audigy1 LOL
btw, the acpi prob is gone after a BIOS update and re-installation of xp...
Old 31 August 2007, 13:07   #6
jimbo100

Well I recently updated from A Pentium 4 3.2GHz CPU with SB Audigy card to a new ASUS mainboard with onboard 7.1 audio and Quad Core CPU and I have to say the onboard sound is miles in front of the old Audigy card.

Ditch the Audigy card and use the onboard sound!
Old 31 August 2007, 13:25   #7
Bloodwych

I’ll help you decide, although it depends on what you want from your PC and the operating system you end up with.

Onboard sound uses software (therefore the CPU) to process the actual sound and an onboard DAC (digital to analog converter) on the motherboard to output it to your speakers. This is of course bypassed if you use digital not analog out on the back of your PC. This is described as “software” sound.

Soundcards on the other hand do the processing of the sound instead of the CPU, so generally should have lower CPU utilization. They usually have better quality DAC’s as well. This is known as hardware (accelerated) sound.

In the past, hardware sound was more desirable as onboard used to suck CPU cycles and the DACS were of poor quality to keep motherboard costs down.

Today however, CPU’s are so powerful that the overhead from processing sound is minimal in comparison to hardware solutions. Motherboard DACS are also of higher quality than the past offerings and for general use you’d be hard pressed to notice a difference between hardware and software. If the software solution has good drivers and a better DAC than the soundcard, the onboard may even be better!

Now for games.

If you’re using Windows XP and games are important, check what version of EAX is supported. I’ll guarantee your onboard sound will only support up to EAX2, as Creative copyrighted anything higher. If your Audigy supports a higher version, then it’ll enjoy better support and effects in EAX games.

If you go over to Vista, hardware sound is no longer supported and it will be done in software regardless. Microsoft decided to officially drop hardware-accelerated sound (much to Creatives annoyance I’m sure). The sound to choose then would be the option that has the better drivers and OpenAL support, as that’s the new standard.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 31 August 2007 at 13:39.
Old 31 August 2007, 13:51   #8
keropi

bah... when I upgrade to vista, I'll ditch the audigy
thanks all!
Old 31 August 2007, 16:09   #9
jmmijo

I prefer to us the Soundblaster X-Fi for my gaming and general audio needs.

So far I see no need to upgrade to Vista.
Old 31 August 2007, 17:19   #10
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
I prefer to us the Soundblaster X-Fi for my gaming and general audio needs.

So far I see no need to upgrade to Vista.
Vista is for those who want to make good use of their RAM
Old 31 August 2007, 21:43   #11
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
doesnt really matter too much what you use under vista as all sound is mixed in software as hardware acceleration has been removes for ..stability .... .
to get Hardware accelerated effects the game would have to support OpenAL or work with the directsound emulator.

The audigy1 isnt a bad card but its also not 24bit as its advatised to be.there are very few onboard solutions that will compete with it though. if your board comes with a realtec chipset than any sound card is better