English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 11 October 2016, 00:46   #1061
idrougge

Workbench was never very elegant, at least not until OS3.9.
Old 11 October 2016, 02:06   #1062
slaapliedje

I do remember really wanting color icons in GEM when I had my Mega STe and a friend had an A500, but evwn though workbench 1.3 had that, the normal icons were so... ugly! My guess was always that the original engineers were color blind and Commodore finally had hired some gui guys... but more seriously, another sort of dumb question... does anyone still have the key to their A4000? One of the wires came loose in mine, but then again the dude I bought it from didn't send me the key. Would have been better to just provide a password lock?
Old 11 October 2016, 08:11   #1063
Jope
-

The key is the same as in any old AT case. I have the wires to the key lock snipped in both my 4000s, such a pointless feature. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
For whatever reason the 'snapshot window' never works for me, if I open the window and do 'snapshot to all' it works, but then my desktop is saved however as well. At least it sometimes works.
Snapshot window only snapshots the window size/position, not the icons. Snapshot all should only affect the selected window's icons and that window's size+position, not any desktop icons, unless you have selected the workbench window/backdrop.
Old 12 October 2016, 17:32   #1064
Sinphaltimus

The audio in on the a500 rgb to rf video (I think it's called an a510). Is that really an input? Like a microphone? Or for amplified stuff like a music player?

Want to know because I want to record sound samples and want to know if and how I can use that Jack. Does any sound sampler software work with it?

I can't remember.
Old 12 October 2016, 17:39   #1065
emufan

it was the A520 - they write "input"
but i'm not sure if it just mixes another audio source with the amiga output?!
i got such thing with my first amiga, i cannot remember using it as a sampler,
maybe just becouse i had no clue at all - good question
Old 12 October 2016, 17:40   #1066
daxb

For recording audio you need a parallel port sampler or a soundcard. Maybe there exists other hardware that can do it but I don`t know. A stock Amiga can`t record audio.
Old 12 October 2016, 17:54   #1067
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
The audio in on the a500 rgb to rf video (I think it's called an a510). Is that really an input? Like a microphone? Or for amplified stuff like a music player?
It is an input to the RF modulator which is connected to the Amiga audio output using a Y cable to mix the two channels into mono. The audio is then modulated into the RF signal and sent to the TV. Thus it is not an audio input to the Amiga.
Old 12 October 2016, 18:11   #1068
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
It is an input to the RF modulator which is connected to the Amiga audio output using a Y cable to mix the two channels into mono. The audio is then modulated into the RF signal and sent to the TV. Thus it is not an audio input to the Amiga.

Thank you for answering a question I've been too embarrassed to ask.
Old 13 October 2016, 09:00   #1069
DopPie
Zone Friend

Why does the floppy drive stop when formatting a disk from workbench after I press the mouse button?
(very embarrassing)
Old 13 October 2016, 09:17   #1070
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopPie View Post
Why does the floppy drive stop when formatting a disk from workbench after I press the mouse button?
(very embarrassing)
My guess is that the format is running in the same thread as the UI so when you press the mouse button, it blocks the UI and thus the rest of the program.
Old 13 October 2016, 15:47   #1071
eXeler0

Bought an 8GB CF with Cloanto 3.1 preinstalled from Amigastore.eu
My PC mangled the card somehow however and now it unreadable in WinUAE. Also tried it in a PCMCIA reader on the A600, but alas, its screwed up completely. AmibackTools can't read etc...
Now.. Its easy enough to reformat and reinstall if you have the files etc.. But here´s my question.
Legally, how do I reinstall 3.1? I never had any legal 3.1 disks, just 3.0 floppies and 3.1 ROM + 3.9 CD.
So how do I restore my CF card to 3.1, legally speaking?
Do I have to purchase 3.1 floppies or is there another way? (Btw, maybe the fresh Hyperion release came at a good time lol)
Skickat från min LG-H850 via Tapatalk
Old 13 October 2016, 15:52   #1072
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Bought an 8GB CF with Cloanto 3.1 preinstalled from Amigastore.eu
My PC mangled the card somehow however and now it unrradable in WinUAE.
Legally, how do I reinstall 3.1? I never had any legal 3.1 disks, just 3.0 floppies and 3.1 ROM + 3.9 CD.
So how do I restore my CF card to 3.1, legally speaking?
Download WB3.1 ADFs online and install from them? Since you bought a license, I can't imagine anyone having any moral issues with this although it may not strictly be legal as such. I can guarantee that nobody will ever come after you if you do this.

Since you have the 3.9 CD, perhaps you could also just install that?
Old 13 October 2016, 16:26   #1073
-Acid-

It's amusing people want legal copies of Workbench, while at the same time have thousands of games in adf files or whdload that they won't have paid for. It's a 25 year old OS, the only people who care now are those trying to milk a resurgent nostalgia for the Amiga for everything they can get. You paid for it once as you state, surely that's enough to satisfy your need for legality? Besides that, all the 3.1 files are on the 3.9 CD so you still legally own them any way.
Old 13 October 2016, 17:23   #1074
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
It's amusing people want legal copies of Workbench, while at the same time have thousands of games in adf files or whdload that they won't have paid for. It's a 25 year old OS, the only people who care now are those trying to milk a resurgent nostalgia for the Amiga for everything they can get. You paid for it once as you state, surely that's enough to satisfy your need for legality? Besides that, all the 3.1 files are on the 3.9 CD so you still legally own them any way.
Well its not like I expect someone to come after me because I used downloaded 3.1 adfs or something, but the reason I posted in this thread is that I'm curious about how you're supposed to do this legally since there still are those greedy souls who can't let go of the source and have slapped copy right badges on all the OS 3.x stuff.
In the "real" world, outside Amigaland, I'd probably get a download link to *my replacement files*.

Skickat från min LG-H850 via Tapatalk
Old 14 October 2016, 05:10   #1075
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
The key is the same as in any old AT case. I have the wires to the key lock snipped in both my 4000s, such a pointless feature. :-)

Snapshot window only snapshots the window size/position, not the icons. Snapshot all should only affect the selected window's icons and that window's size+position, not any desktop icons, unless you have selected the workbench window/backdrop.
That's incredibly useful to know, I always thought it snapshotted all of it when you selected all...

The other thing is meh, ha, it really was a pointless feature.
Old 15 October 2016, 05:20   #1076
TroyWilkins

This is embarrassing, but this seems the best place to ask.

Does anybody know what type of screws are used to hold together the A600 case?

I've lost the ones that held together my A600, and no doubt they've vanished up the vacuum cleaner and into the bin now.
Old 15 October 2016, 06:35   #1077
demolition
Unregistered User

Not sure about the diameter, but this says 6mm length:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=992
Old 15 October 2016, 06:39   #1078
TroyWilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Not sure about the diameter, but this says 6mm length:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=992
Ahh, perfect, thank you! I didn't think to look there. It's a shame shipping will cost literally 4 times the cost of the actual item, I think I'll bundle that together with another order from them.
Old 15 October 2016, 21:00   #1079
slaapliedje

That's what I end up doing when I order things from Amigakit.

It's not an embarrassing thing to ask about the screws, I did a lot of research for the ones for the Atari STs, finally found some black ones that I replaced all of them with (when I bought my Atari Falcon from someone on amibay, it was missing almost all of the screws).

I had to source mine through a hobby store that sells through amazon. The screws on the A4000 are kind of odd, and I still h ave a mismatch of screws in some places (like the ones that hold in my PCI cards)
Old 17 October 2016, 22:40   #1080
s2325
Zone Friend

Is there some explanation/backstory for these odd choices?