English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 May 2013, 23:00   #1
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

3D printed Amiga 500 model

Well it was a nice idea, but the execution looks like a cake that's been left out in the sun... then sat on a few times.
Old 07 May 2013, 23:11   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

I think it's usable if you need some small and simple parts like missing keys or fire buttons. Or maybe even dust cover for your Amiga.
Old 07 May 2013, 23:30   #3
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

It's not bad considering the size - did you look at the picture where a lighter was placed beside it? I'd say the model is roughly the size of a (PC) mouse.
Old 07 May 2013, 23:36   #4
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
toooo cute, i want it!
Old 07 May 2013, 23:51   #5
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
It's not bad considering the size - did you look at the picture where a lighter was placed beside it? I'd say the model is roughly the size of a (PC) mouse.
Yeah, it really is tiny. I'm just a bit miffed because I wanted to like it so much.
Old 08 May 2013, 08:37   #6
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
GBP 22,2 for me... I am not sure if I want it SO much...
Old 08 May 2013, 21:29   #7
Baboon
Moon Monkey

I've already got a mini snes, mega drive and sega saturn... but would love a micro amiga 500 too.

The quality doesn't look great from the pics though?
Old 08 May 2013, 21:53   #8
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon View Post

The quality doesn't look great from the pics though?
at that scale, it probably isn't. if it's anything like some other specimens i've seen it'll have the texture of sand that's been glued together with PVA unfortunately - i think this maybe because the method used in this particular process is the grains of plasticey sand stuff are shot with a laser to melt them together.

i've seen 3d prints that use something similar to a glue gun, while they come out looking a bit rough, with a bit of sanding they come out brilliant

now what we need is a 3d printed A500 big enough to squeeze an *FPGA A500 inside

*or RasPi if/when emulation support becomes acceptable

Last edited by diablothe2nd; 08 May 2013 at 22:00.
Old 23 August 2013, 18:43   #9
falken76

Hi Everyone. That is my model, I made it and printed it on my 3d printer. I loved the Amiga computer, the A500 was the first real computer I owned. I used to use it to run a BBS on Cnet 3.05c for those that remember it.

The model looks like crap because I was learning how to use the printer when I printed this, the price on my etsy store was because I didn't actually think anyone would want to buy it, ETSY seemed to me to be a bunch of people with no money that just like and treasure things, so my items are kind of displayed there.

However, I use 3dsmax often, so I will probably edit this file, enlarge it and create a Raspberry Pi Case so it could be used to house the Pi. I think it would be a cool nostalgic feeling emulator. I might put something like that up for sale on there for real. The case only for those of you that want to get the pi yourself and of course a case with the raspberry pi for those that just want a unit.

I don't know if anything like that would sell or not, but it would be fun to make something like that.

Thanks for commenting on my model, both good and bad, I didn't think anyone would actually see it.

Old 23 August 2013, 18:48   #10
falken76

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
at that scale, it probably isn't. if it's anything like some other specimens i've seen it'll have the texture of sand that's been glued together with PVA unfortunately - i think this maybe because the method used in this particular process is the grains of plasticey sand stuff are shot with a laser to melt them together.

i've seen 3d prints that use something similar to a glue gun, while they come out looking a bit rough, with a bit of sanding they come out brilliant

now what we need is a 3d printed A500 big enough to squeeze an *FPGA A500 inside

*or RasPi if/when emulation support becomes acceptable
It doesn't have the texture of sand. It was printed at .15mm per layer. It actually looks pretty decent up close, I'll take better pictures and upload them later. I'm going to make a RasPI case in this shape, I'll probably put it up in the etsy store if anyone is interested.