English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 25 February 2013, 16:19   #41
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I noticed a problem with the replaced ("old style") scanlines - in 2.1.29:

I also noticed this when I attempted to use "old style" scanline code (from 2.1.19) in 2.1.27 - but I just assumed I screwed something up or missed something.

Last edited by mr_a500; 25 February 2013 at 22:08. Reason: 2.1.27u was first version with problem
Old 25 February 2013, 18:17   #42
Goingdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by spajdr View Post
Yo matey, what exact shader you trying? i dont have any problem with my Intel HD 3000.

Attach file fs-uae.log.txt from FS-UAE\Logs directory
Tried scanlines-nonlinear and scanlines-classic. Both will give same error message. All other shaders I tried are working.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FS-UAE.log.zip (20.9 KB, 171 views)
Old 25 February 2013, 20:08   #43
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spajdr View Post
By the way, is it possible to combine two shaders into one file, like scanline classic + curvature?
Yes, in most cases. But it might require some knowledge of how the shader system works to get optimal results...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingdown View Post
Tried scanlines-nonlinear and scanlines-classic. Both will give same error message. All other shaders I tried are working.
Thanks for helping debugging the problem (IRC). Fixes will be included in .30 (Shaders did not follow the specification to the letter, worked with some OpenGL drivers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
I noticed a problem with the replaced ("old style") scanlines - in 2.1.29: I also noticed this when I attempted to use "old style" scanline code (from 2.1.19) in 2.1.22 - but I just assumed I screwed something up or missed something.
I haven't seen anything like that. But when I think of it, the scanline implemention may not work properly with (video format) rgb565. Is that what you're running? Does it work with video format rgba or bgra?
Old 25 February 2013, 21:37   #44
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
I haven't seen anything like that. But when I think of it, the scanline implemention may not work properly with (video format) rgb565. Is that what you're running? Does it work with video format rgba or bgra?
I use default video format. The problem is same with rgba. The rgb565 was screwed up (remember corrupted screenshot in other thread) before, but now the screen remains completely black. (...but I don't care about that because default video format was fine before)

Something you changed when making the scanlines as shaders is causing this problem. (It's not in scanlines.c because as I said, when using the one from 2.1.19 instead - the problem is still there.)
Old 25 February 2013, 21:39   #45
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

OK, what was the last version where scanlines worked correctly for you? 2.1.19 does not work I gather, does for example 2.1.18?
Old 25 February 2013, 21:54   #46
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
Strange, all shaders works for me. I just have latest intel driver.
Old 25 February 2013, 22:07   #47
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

2.1.19 was the last version with the old scanlines - working fine. 2.1.21 - 2.1.27 have the new scanlines - working fine. 2.1.27(u?) has the new scanlines re-implemented as shader. That's the first version with the problem.
Old 25 February 2013, 22:33   #48
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

@mr_a500. There's a couple of lines missing (for PPC), try this patch
Code:
diff --git a/libfsemu/src/emu/scanlines.c b/libfsemu/src/emu/scanlines.c
index d7deb36..64849d6 100644
--- a/libfsemu/src/emu/scanlines.c
+++ b/libfsemu/src/emu/scanlines.c
@@ -37,6 +37,10 @@ void fs_emu_render_scanlines(uint8_t* out, fs_emu_video_buffer *buffer,
                 continue;
             }
             for (int x = 0; x < cw; x++) {
+#ifdef __BIG_ENDIAN__
+                src ++;
+                dst ++;
+#endif
                 *dst++ = (*src++ * light_ia) / 256 + scanline_light;
Old 26 February 2013, 11:57   #49
spajdr
Old fart

Frode : i wonder, can you add this shader to be compatible with fs-uae?
http://www.sendspace.com/file/p8037b

Old 27 February 2013, 21:21   #50
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

The shader language is GLSL, so the shader could perhaps work with FS-UAE with small modifications. It isn't enough that the language is OpenGL Shading Language, shaders must also know how to get the Amiga video texture (and other information) from the emulator.

FS-UAE loads shaders following the "XML Shader Format 1.1" (http://gitorious.org/bsnes/pages/XmlShaderFormat). So someone would have to rewrite the shader slightly.

(Hmm, looking at the shader code, it uses two uniforms in addition to the video texture, color_texture_sz, color_texture_pow2_sz (vec2), and it is not immediately obvious what these are. FS-UAE do not provide such vec2s to shaders).
Old 27 February 2013, 21:34   #51
spajdr
Old fart

No problem thanks for trying
Old 16 March 2013, 00:56   #52
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Another nice example for non-linear scanlines.

Old 17 March 2013, 22:52   #53
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

@Retro-Nerd, Yes, though you can see a slightly annoying "wave pattern" in the solid color areas. See this thread on how to fix that: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67535.
Old 17 March 2013, 22:59   #54
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Thanks for the custom theme settings. Looks really good now.
Old 30 March 2013, 13:21   #55
TEOL

After looking at this thread since I was watching a video at the same time I nicked these real scanlines from a youtube video where somebody recorded a video of an old game on his actual CRT TV.

So now we have a picture of some real scanlines maybe somebody can work on making a legit looking ones for our AMIGA emulator now and be the first emulator ever to have legit looking scanlines in the program?

As you can see by the picture the legit style scanlines have large spaces in between each set and look diagonal half circle style.

The real half circle scanlines also have verical scanlines going through them which are the Composite/RGB/RF/Component scanlines which come from the systems to make up the picture.

So basiclly TV scanlines are oval rather than horizontal and Console/Computer scanlines are vertical both together making a real scanlines picture which it's what I gather from the picture.

These oval scanlines look like a vortex into another dimension but they are at the same time actual CRT TV set ones as well. What retro beauty.

I've now since last Janurary become a regular user of FS-UAE and WinUAE unless if I'm pratting about in Workbench GUI as my WinUAE hard drive files didn't want to work in it is an after thought as far as playing both disk and WHD games is concerned now so I'm a complete FS-UAE backer all the way.

Last edited by TEOL; 30 March 2013 at 13:34.
Old 30 March 2013, 14:31   #56
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEOL View Post
So basiclly TV scanlines are oval rather than horizontal and Console/Computer scanlines are vertical both together making a real scanlines picture which it's what I gather from the picture.
I'm afraid the "circular wave pattern" in the photo does not represent real scanlines on CRTs/TVs. This pattern shows up in the digital picture because the picture has too low resolution to represent the complex/real pattern on the TV screen. This is an aliasing effect (see Moiré_pattern), and the person taking that picture would not see that pattern when looking at the real TV screen.

So this photo should not be used as basis for creating a scanline shader

Btw, you'll also see similar problems in TV broadcasts if a person in a TV studio has a sweater with a detailed checkered pattern, for instance.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 30 March 2013 at 14:41.