English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 January 2021, 18:15   #21
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I guess I didn't answer this question in the way intended.

LIKE:
  • Games which are actually games, and not work.
  • Games which give you value for your money, so they're not over in mere hours and maybe have quite some replay value or get free expansion patches (or otherwise amazing moderately priced paid DLCs).
  • Games which are challenging because they require skill to master them; Dark Souls being the usual example.
  • Games which have an intriguing backstory or world that invites exploring it outside of the game itself, diving into wikis, theory videos and fan fiction and what not.
  • Games which are of the "instead of making things possible, don't make things impossible" design philosophy. Games like Minecraft. Lots of freedom, moddability.
  • Min-maxing games which allow you to do things in numerous ways and have a lot of creative freedom so you can constantly improve yourself. A game like Factorio really shines there.
  • Games designed to relax, especially if they have pastel colours. The Witness is a good recent example of a game which I found amazing.

DISLIKE:
  • If the main gameplay loop is grinding levels and gear to have a bigger digital penis than other people, yeah no thanks.
  • If it tries to sell sadness, like "This War of Mine", yeah no thanks.
  • If it is a one-hit-death game, yeah no thanks. As a modern example, a game like Super Meat Boy absolutely does not mesh with me. I already bite my nails too much as it is.
Old 29 January 2021, 11:40   #22
sparhawk

I love metroidvania style games. Platformers and arcade games.
Also still love to play Point&Click. And I also love Souls like games. In general games, where the player gets challenged and not led by the hand for every tiny "achievment".

DISLIKES:
Walking simulators, survival games.
I don't really see the point in walking simulators. What kind of game is that? You run around in some empty game world, and every now and then you encounter some record/book/cutscene what happened here. These games feel to me always like somebody wanted to make a real game and stopped halfway working on it.
Old 29 January 2021, 12:41   #23
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
What I like:
Tons of bonuses, hidded passages, secret levels

What I dislike:
Time limits, games that are not in English, sport games and especially managers.
Old 29 January 2021, 13:18   #24
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Dislikes

I particularly dislike QTEs. It may look flashy, but just pressing a button to advance an animation is not fun.
Old 29 January 2021, 14:02   #25
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
I don't really see the point in walking simulators. What kind of game is that? You run around in some empty game world, and every now and then you encounter some record/book/cutscene what happened here. These games feel to me always like somebody wanted to make a real game and stopped halfway working on it.
Very understandable. They're meant for relaxation, not actual gameplay. I sometimes boot one up when I'm kind of tired of heavy duty games, just to have a change of pace and be zen. I could also open a book but... yeah I'm a lost cause.
Old 10 February 2021, 12:09   #26
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
DISLIKES :
How the arcades ended in Paris (minus one venue which was sponsored by Sega and lasted a few years) : Daytona U.S.A. and Dungeons & Dragons. Meh.

What big N & his partners did with the NES especially in Japan, buying games at the local store for my CPC 6128, Diablo II, the heyday of coin op games, PS1 games bearing lots of "cinématiques" (filmed footage, not FMV related), a couple of adventure games on the PC (Phantasmagoria, Blade Runner...), the few mesmerizing games I played to death on the N64, sometimes with friends : Goldeneye 007, Mario 64, Mario Kart 64...
Old 16 February 2021, 15:55   #27
UltraNarwhal

• Controllers
  • Playing on modern & retro hardware
  • Inverted Y Controls
  • Flicky
  • Making games for ancient hardware

DISLIKES:
  • Disk swapping
  • Pixel filtering to 'HD'
  • QTE Final bosses
  • Turn based RPGs
  • Game patches over 2GB
  • Always online restricted single player games
  • DualShock triggers & battery life
  • Keyboard & Mouse
  • Finishing making games for ancient hardware on time
  • Making QAOP the default on my Speccy games, because grandpa hates WASD
Old 16 February 2021, 16:20   #28
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraNarwhal View Post
[*]Making QAOP the default on my Speccy games, because grandpa hates WASD
I hate WASD too, it's not just old people.
Old 16 February 2021, 23:00   #29
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

left-handed me always thought WASD was alright But nowadays I enjoy the elegance of a controller where button presses are not just on-off switches.
Old 16 February 2021, 23:53   #30
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
left-handed me always thought WASD was alright But nowadays I enjoy the elegance of a controller where button presses are not just on-off switches.
Um, Gimbal? That's what the MOUSE is for.

WASD (or whatever keyboard combination is preferable) is perfect as digital movement forwards and backwards and for strafing, while the mouse is perfect as analogue movement which allows for rotation in two axes, AND it is much more responsive than ANY console controller going. Hardcore fans of FPS games have sworn by them for DECADES, including ME.
Old 17 February 2021, 17:12   #31
khph_re

I hate timers, and I hate exploding levels! That's why I have a love/Hate relationship with Alien breed/Alien Syndrome.

I love sofa co-op, probably due to C64/Amiga and 90's consoles,
and hate that most games are online co-op only now.

I've gone off old fashioned boss fights. I was playing an open world game recently 'journey to the savage planet' - it locked me in a room above lava, with rotating platforms, changed the playstyle completely to introduce this 1996 style boss fight. I've not been back to it since.
Old 18 February 2021, 11:47   #32
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Um, Gimbal? That's what the MOUSE is for.
No, mouse buttons are also on-off switches.
Old 18 February 2021, 13:04   #33
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
No, mouse buttons are also on-off switches.
I'm not talking about the mouse buttons. Controller buttons ARE digital, all of them! Unless I'm not privy to something I should know?