English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 December 2009, 16:08   #1
Kitty

Amiga joystick to usb adaptor?

I want to use my amiga joysticks on my pc, does the adaptor exist? to buy? Is it possible to make one on the cheap?
Old 03 December 2009, 19:14   #2
DamienD
Banned

Hey Kitty,

There's loads of threads on EAB with virtually the same question. Doing a search is the best option, but to start you off

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=48495
Old 03 December 2009, 20:27   #3
Harrison
classicamiga.com

I've been using a Retrozone USB adaptor with my Amiga and other retro joysticks and joypads for a very years now and it works perfectly.

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info...products_id=70
Old 03 December 2009, 21:22   #4
Kitty

thanks guys for the info, I noticed though that all these adaptors are quite expensive, I may end up buying one anyway, but there must be some kind of schematics showing pin layouts from amiga joystick port to usb, so in theory with the correct parts it could be homemade for a lot less?
Old 03 December 2009, 21:25   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Have a lookie : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=40891
Searching for Joystick and USB results in some interesting threads
Old 04 December 2009, 12:12   #6
pcut

If you have an old pc joypad laying around you could take the board out of that and wire up each switch in the amiga joystick to a contact on the pc joypad. So for example when you press up on the amiga stick, it will connect together two contacts on the pc joypad and send the button press through to the pc.

I did a similar thing with a megadrive pad, wired up a pc joypad board to a 9-pin socket and then plugged the megadrive pad into it, works great
Old 17 December 2009, 16:41   #7
weasel_ch

Mmmm .... just what the doctor ordered.

I have a crate (literally) of Python Joysticks put aside. Bought them in 2001 - thought it would be an investment if I wanted to play Sensi in the future.

My newer laptops do not have a serial port (which I used before with adaptor).

I presume this should work fine on Windows 7 too ?

Has anyone dealt with the company you quote ? Based in the US ?

Or these guys : http://retro.world3.net/buy.html based in the uk ?

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I've been using a Retrozone USB adaptor with my Amiga and other retro joysticks and joypads for a very years now and it works perfectly.

Old 13 January 2010, 16:15   #8
weasel_ch

Each of these links seems to go to places that you need to pre-pay or register with google etc.

Is there anywher I can just simply pick up the phone, order some and pay instantly by credit card ???

Thanks,

Dave
Old 13 January 2010, 16:19   #9
Harrison
classicamiga.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post

The place I linked to allows direct payment on their site to order.
Old 13 January 2010, 17:35   #10
weasel_ch

Thanks for that, Harrison.

Tried the others first as I am in Europe, but just ordered 4 adapters from the US website. Much easier.

I bought a pallete of Python Joysticks about 10 years ago. Tucked away in the basement.

Will be good to try and get sensi working on my laptop, and try out the HDMI output to a BIG LEDTV

Dave
Old 13 January 2010, 17:45   #11
Jonathan Drain

Amigakit sells a USB replica Amiga joystick with a bunch of games for £17.36.
Old 13 January 2010, 17:55   #12
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Forum 64 has currently an USB to 9-pin joystick/joypad adapter project. Supported are all Atari/Commodore style sticks/pads (2-ports), 2nd buttons too. You can order the pure PCB, an assembly kit or ready-made adapters.

LINK

Old 06 February 2010, 04:19   #13
weasel_ch

Received 4 adapters from Retrozone

Now up and running on my laptop

Dave
Old 06 February 2010, 11:41   #14
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
I'd like to buy one, but $15 for shipping to Greece is not an actual "shipping cost", it's just a number they came up with. I hate these people who think they've discovered the marketing trick of the century, selling a product for $0.99 and then asking for $50 to ship it. It's not as if I can't afford it, but I refuse to support such slyness.

My PC still has a parallel port, so I'll stick to my parallel-to-Amiga adapter for now, which allows me to use two Amiga joysticks. Has anyone tried to play a double game on WinUAE or MAME using two Retrozone adapters by the way?
Old 06 February 2010, 13:22   #15
weasel_ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
I'd like to buy one, but $15 for shipping to Greece is not an actual "shipping cost", it's just a number they came up with. I hate these people who think they've discovered the marketing trick of the century, selling a product for $0.99 and then asking for $50 to ship it. It's not as if I can't afford it, but I refuse to support such slyness.
It is clearly obvious you have never run a business.

They arrived neatly packaged, individually heat sealed and in a strong box, and by registered post. Exactly as requested - simple order. All very well made. To me I was very happy with the product and the service. I'd buy again from Retrozone instantly. If you are not willing to pay for a service ... move along.

Of course, If you think you can do it cheaper - go ahead, pay and host a web site, add an online cart, take time out to build them, pack them carefully, arrange collection by USPS to any country in the world, and charge nothing for your time ....

Please, show us how to do all that without "such slyness".

I won't wait waste time waiting for you to do that. It is very easy to moan, but much more difficult getting up and actually doing it.

Dave
Old 06 February 2010, 16:14   #16
alkis21
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel_ch View Post
It is clearly obvious you have never run a business.
I don't know how to respond to that.... except maybe, check my signature.

Yup, I have personally shipped thousands of packages to all five continents... so I believe I'm perfectly entitled to claim that $15 for an item that weighs no more than 100 grams or so and is not made out of crystal is thievery.

Don't get me wrong (too late I guess), I do believe that people have the right to charge whatever they want for their products. If they want to sell their adapter for $50 that's one thing, I've bought my share of overpriced items in the past, especially for Amiga. But 'hidden' costs is not something I appreciate. This is no different than Ryanair advertising tickets that supposedly cost 2 quid when their total amounts to more like 150 after all the additional costs are added.
Old 06 February 2010, 17:09   #17
weasel_ch

Quote:
I don't know how to respond to that.... except maybe, check my signature.
What signature - Nothing displaying for me. You run your own company ?

Quote:
Don't get me wrong (too late I guess), I do believe that people have the right to charge whatever they want for their products. If they want to sell their adapter for $50 that's one thing, I've bought my share of overpriced items in the past, especially for Amiga. But 'hidden' costs is not something I appreciate. This is no different than Ryanair advertising tickets that supposedly cost 2 quid when their total amounts to more like 150 after all the additional costs are added.
Like I said this was of no consequence to me. I got exactly what I paid for. No hidden charges - all clearly visible when ordering - nothing "sly" about it at all. Don't like them then don't buy. I don't think they were excessive at all but I wasn't looking for cheapest - just good product/service and swift delivery. Which I got.

Dave
Old 06 February 2010, 21:03   #18
alkis21
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel_ch View Post
What signature - Nothing displaying for me. You run your own company ?
I suppose you have that option turned off? I meant this link.

Quote:
Like I said this was of no consequence to me. I got exactly what I paid for. No hidden charges - all clearly visible when ordering - nothing "sly" about it at all. Don't like them then don't buy. I don't think they were excessive at all but I wasn't looking for cheapest - just good product/service and swift delivery. Which I got.
You have a point and perhaps I did overreact.