English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 01 May 2022, 19:37   #321
aros-sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
Hahaha what did purple ever do to you?

Don't know. Maybe just something wrong in my head. I know almost all this games in this screenshots you posted. The color does not "feel" the same everywhere. Blue-ish purple seems worse than red-ish or pink-ish purple. But the "feel" maybe is also influenced by the colors of the nearby pixels (also purple, or different shade of purple or completely different like white/black pixels) or the look of the gfx. And/or something to do with high saturation maybe. And/or other colors (green) /gfx with high saturation. And/or dithering. And/or ~"context" (purple terrain?). No idea ...
Old 01 May 2022, 19:44   #322
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Indeed! Purple era rulezz!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 02 May 2022, 16:19   #323
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

Quote:
Don Bluth and Hana Barbera frequently went fully purple any time they had atmospheric/spooky backdrop stuff happening.
True that.
Old 03 May 2022, 02:39   #324
Mixel

Don’t suppose anyone has an ECS system with 2MB chip + some fast (or just generally non chip)? (With no accelerator, that’s the crucial thing!) + mass storage.. Most common version of this would probably be the A600 with 2chip trapdoor expansion and PCMCIA ram on the side?

I’m doing some experiments for future low spec CMO builds.. Ultimately in some cases CMOhn may have to run at 25fps or risk unreliable frame rates.. So this is good practice for both the AGA and ECS version.

WinUAE seems to be suggesting that at 25FPS CMO runs well on machines way wayyy less powerful than I’d assumed, so I could use a test subject to see if it’s just being strange?
Old 05 May 2022, 00:26   #325
CCRider

Quote:
Don’t suppose anyone has an ECS system with 2MB chip + some fast (or just generally non chip)? (With no accelerator, that’s the crucial thing!) + mass storage.. Most common version of this would probably be the A600 with 2chip trapdoor expansion and PCMCIA ram on the side?
I believe, nowadays, 2 MB Chip mem, mass storage and some kind of Fast RAM/accelerator clipped directly on the 68k (Furia EC020 et al) is pretty much standard for everyone that have an A600.
Old 05 May 2022, 01:19   #326
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
I believe, nowadays, 2 MB Chip mem, mass storage and some kind of Fast RAM/accelerator clipped directly on the 68k (Furia EC020 et al) is pretty much standard for everyone that have an A600.
Agreed but there's always some fringe case trying to run it on as low a spec as possible and if WinUAE is correct it runs great at 25fps.. on a 7mhz 68000, providing it has 2Chip/1MBfast - with zero concessions to tone down the copper parallax or anything like that, literally the "high spec" build Ive been working on but at half fps.. Seems to run great.

And that really surprises me quite a lot. I can get rid of any "020+" nonsense, right off the bat.
Old 23 May 2022, 02:07   #327
Mixel

Just thought I’d check in, slowly plodding along. Anyone who’s been watching my streams knows I’ve done quite a lot since I last updated, but it’s not all “showable” a lot of it is minor things that hopefully eventually add up.

- Ghoul enemy type (very fast little jerks)
- Less buggy bug and nest behaviour (and clearer looking nests)
- School level largely complete
- school boss largely complete (this was a relatively complex one, just needs the paths tweaking now)
- Anna attack animations improved
- Anna run cycle improved
- New movement type for Anna..
- world map reduced in resolution - same number of stages, no longer scrolling.
- Optimised code all over the place
- World map logic *completely* redone
- yes/no selector box bugs fixed - I hope!
- Park level started
- parallax for park level largely complete.
- Shazias store graphics 95% done (may complete on stream tomorrow?)
- All Gorcester levels map “portraits” done
- AGA backdrop for city and swamp levels
- Beginnings of AGA parallax for swamp boss
- One experimental performance feature that might end up removed.

I’m certain I’ve forgotten a lot of stuff, but development is very scattershot at the moment. One next step is going to be stringing together the parts I’ve already made so I can do a play through of the game as-is, but I really need to complete the bowling alley stage for that to work. So I guess that should be next! (It’s going to be a total pain though, haha the modern interior stages are no fun compared to the olde world and organic stuff)
Old 23 May 2022, 15:26   #328
Silverstreak

I'm exhausted just reading it! Great work.
Old 24 May 2022, 13:46   #329
acidbottle

Progress is sweet, full steam ahead!

Did notice you had contemplated starting a shop, be very interesting to see how that goes.
Old 01 June 2022, 23:10   #330
Mixel

A couple of people have reached out asking where I am, why aren’t I streaming etc. sorry about that, and thanks for checking too.. I have some urgent stuff to deal with at home and can’t commit to doing anything for a bit.

Here’s the shop I was working on before I had to go awol though. Maybe not the sort of items you’d be expecting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BF559F87-43D3-47D4-B4A1-DF4C39DEBD72.png
Views:	167
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	75716Click image for larger version

Name:	3B6D853C-CC30-4C45-B5A3-B2E7A479F966.png
Views:	141
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	75717

I could be streaming again soon, I really don’t know yet.

Oh and since the last wizonk stream that has got a little further too. When I eventually come back I’ll be working Weds on wizonk weapons most likely.
Old 01 June 2022, 23:21   #331
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Sorry
Old 06 June 2022, 09:15   #332
Silverstreak

Another place you can get Amiga Addict! Awesome
Old 06 July 2022, 15:44   #333
Mixel

[ Show youtube player ] - early stages of the weapon upgrade system.

I’ve been relatively slow on the updates but you’ll see on Twitter, twitch and discord I’m still at it..! I’m just all over the place in terms of focus so I haven’t had any “big new level” type things to show off in a while. (Very soon though!)

There may come a point in a month or two where I need to go radio silent for a reasonably long time as I can’t stream stuff that I want to be remain secret in the game. We’ll see! ??
Old 06 July 2022, 16:30   #334
DisasterIncarna

still looking great
Old 11 July 2022, 01:25   #335
Mixel

Thank you!

[ Show youtube player ] If you’d like to see a bunch more weapons working!
Old 11 July 2022, 10:29   #336
acidbottle

New weapons look great Mixel, top drawer! Sorry have to missed so many of your streams lately, does at least mean there will be a fair few suprises
Old 21 July 2022, 15:02   #337
Mixel

I might be back streaming tomorrow.. Maybe. My situation here is a bit messed up. Will try to be back asap. First time I've sat at the computer in days. :/

On the other hand Earok has added some very neat new things to scorpion that give me clear ideas of what I could be working on in the next few streams. (other than the usual map making etc)

@acidbottle TY! I'm happy with them so far.. It's probably more of a problem that I've been missing streams really.
Old 30 November 2022, 20:34   #338
Mixel

I’m not good at keeping up with the forums.. But I have had a few queries lately.

CMO is coming along fine, but slowly.. My periods of slowness / distance were somewhat exacerbated by *cough* separation after decades of marriage and not knowing what my life situation was going to be for the foreseeable future *cough* then followed by a lot of redecorating and getting ill.. I’m functionally ok now but I’m still likely to have down time because there’s a lot of adjustment left to do that will end up taking up a ton of my “free” time.

^ That’s probably TMI but it might help with certain people who’ve been nagging, lol. (None of you I speak to much, don’t worry haha!)

Here’s a video of a new level in progress: [ Show youtube player ]

And text from my latest patreon update:

Hex Night dev is going well, I've been making a lot of progress on the factory levels (see video) made many more creature types, improved graphics in many areas, and most importantly - due to improvements in Scorpion Engine itself and optimisation at my end.. The minimum spec for the game is any A1200HD* or CD32 - it no longer requires fast RAM. There are some hectic occasions where having fast RAM or a faster CPU prevents a few framerate drops but nothing major. It also runs well on equivalents of the A1200's 020 CPU - it doesn't require AGA (though there is an enhanced AGA build with some extra effects and fancier backgrounds)

Twitch streaming is largely on hold at the moment as I'm working on parts of the game I don't want everyone to see yet. I might stream some art/asset production shortly.. I've also had a string of health issues, but I won't go into those here. It hasn't been fun, anyway.

I've started preparing a fresh demo since the performance is so much better right now. The video above is a work in progress industrial section, which you might consider spoilers. I'll also do some proper promotional video at some point soon, hopefully before christmas. I hope you're all well, and speak soon...

OH! Worth mentioning I'm branching out into new socials, given the mess that Twitter is in right now. To start with, Mastodon: https://mastodonapp.uk/@mixelslab

Once Hive has a proper web version and probably a functional handle system (lol) I'll probably link to that too.
Old 30 November 2022, 21:30   #339
vulture

I love this new level. I'm a sucker for run-before-it-catches-you gameplay and this one looks fantastic as well!
Old 15 January 2023, 04:49   #340
Mixel

1.4 demo update, woo!

Demo 1.4 is now available! It's not a big update in terms of content, it's mostly quality of life improvements and performance ones. There are a few tiny new things here and there.. (particle effects, so many bug fixes, improved boss fights, ability to run it without fast-ram etc.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	77820

[ Show youtube player ]

https://mixelslab.itch.io/creeping-me-out-hex-night - for download links.

Progress on the game proper is going well, and pretty steadily.