English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amix

Old 28 August 2021, 23:29   #1
Warty

oooh... Look what we found in a tub

Found this last week in a tub. Came up with yellow screen, which stumped us for a bit, then I remembered the jumper on the MB for memory type, and when worked on it today, it came up immediately into 3.2. (using an external SCSI2SD).

Only has 2 MB chip memory (plus a MB we had lying around), and no tape drive, no hard drive, no 3 button mouse, no box, no docs, 4 floppies but no floppy ribbon

OTOH, the motherboard is very clean, and it seems very stable. And at least one of these floppies appears to be a HD floppy already configured for Amiga. (has stuff in German written on it, which I can't read, and I didn't take a snap).

My goal is to fill out the RAM, get a SCSI2SD internal drive mounted, put AMIX on the 1.3 partition, and 3.something on the 2.x partition so it can be best of both worlds.

The AMIX install looks, err, challenging, but should be kind of fun. I am planning to cheat of course and do the hard work on the Mac and use RDBTool and XFDTool to prep the SD card.

haven't tracked down the network card, but there is one around I saw the other week, might be the A2065, might not be.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be asking for help here in days to come (I only go in to the shop every other weekend at best, and only for a few hours, so this is going to take a while to get cleaned up and running nicely).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4484s.jpeg
Views:	712
Size:	661.2 KB
ID:	73026  
Old 30 August 2021, 18:16   #2
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

Looks lovely! And great if it doesn't have battery leakage!

To get even more worlds included, you'll need a Bridgeboard added to the party :P
Old 30 August 2021, 21:50   #3
Warty

A bridgeboard, and I think an AMAX II+ (or IV) card would hit a lot of retro nerd highpoints. We do have some bridge boards around, and I played with them a year or two ago, but didn't have much luck getting them functional. I guess I never tried a bridgeboard in a A3000 though.

Battery... that reminds me I'll have to order one fo those replacement battery setups. UNIX without reliable timestamps would probably be pretty ugly.
Old 30 August 2021, 22:08   #4
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

Remember to Y2K patch the system first
https://www.amigaunix.com/doku.php/y2k-dst
Old 14 September 2021, 05:05   #5
Warty

Had a chance to get to the shop on Saturday and work on it for a few hours. All the floppies that were in the box with it tested bad. Including 2 that looked like they were HD Amiga floppies. I haven't used an HD floppy in an amiga in 30 years though, so maybe there's some kind of driver I need to load before using them.

I eventually got 2 drives that work (had to test about 8 to get the 2 good ones).

Testkit showed good serial, parallel, joy/mouse ports, and video.

And we found an A2065, so that's good. Haven't had a chance to test it, but need to figure out AmiTCP or something first anyway.

Found a manual for the tape drive, but not the tape drive itself (so far, and I don't think we'll find it).

Slow steps...
Old 14 September 2021, 10:07   #6
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warty View Post
I haven't used an HD floppy in an amiga in 30 years though, so maybe there's some kind of driver I need to load before using them.
No driver needed.
Old 14 September 2021, 16:26   #7
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

The chances are probably higher that the drives need attention, the floppies might well be Ok.

Some Amiga HD-floppy drives have known issues, fe. a Chinon FB-357A with either burnt resistors or leaky SMD caps (C16, common failure point).
Old 15 September 2021, 00:48   #8
redblade
Zone Friend

Warty: Do you have proper photos of that box? I've never seen a A3000 box or a A3000UX box.

Was the A3000UX shipped as 030/25mhz as standard or did they also ship 030/25mhz Amiga 3000.

Thanks
Old 15 September 2021, 04:12   #9
Warty

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
Warty: Do you have proper photos of that box? I've never seen a A3000 box or a A3000UX box.

Was the A3000UX shipped as 030/25mhz as standard or did they also ship 030/25mhz Amiga 3000.

Thanks
Err, which box? The carton that it's sitting on is an A1000 that Ray is going to get up on eBay one of these days. It's nice, has an Insider 1MB expansion board in it (with original docs for that, plus it has floppies with my repro stickers for KS/WB 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3, of which I am inordinately proud, hehe).

We don't have the carton for the A3000UX. I think I maybe have seen a picture of one online though? If you need photos of an A3000 (US) box, I could take some of mine and post them. I noticed the ones on that European site that has the repro boxes, those are a bit different than mine.

But if you mean the A3000UX case, I could try and take some better photos. I'm not exactly good with a camera.
Old 15 September 2021, 04:15   #10
Warty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga_CDTV View Post
The chances are probably higher that the drives need attention, the floppies might well be Ok.

Some Amiga HD-floppy drives have known issues, fe. a Chinon FB-357A with either burnt resistors or leaky SMD caps (C16, common failure point).
I meant that the floppy drives were all toast. Which I am personally sad about, because there were 2 in there that I am pretty sure were HD floppies, and I think I could have convinced Ray (the owner) to sell me one.

There are a lot of hard drives in the place, even some nice ones that would have been uber expensive when new, but time is not kind of spinning hard drives. I think of the 10 or so I've looked at this year, I maybe got 1 to mount.
Old 15 September 2021, 04:15   #11
Warty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
No driver needed.
Ah, ok, thanks. double bummer.

Well, someday I'll see if I can do some diagnostics on those 2 maybe-HD floppies.
Old 16 September 2021, 01:16   #12
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warty View Post
Err, which box? The carton that it's sitting on is an A1000 that Ray is going to get up on eBay one of these days. It's nice, has an Insider 1MB expansion board in it (with original docs for that, plus it has floppies with my repro stickers for KS/WB 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3, of which I am inordinately proud, hehe).

We don't have the carton for the A3000UX. I think I maybe have seen a picture of one online though? If you need photos of an A3000 (US) box, I could take some of mine and post them. I noticed the ones on that European site that has the repro boxes, those are a bit different than mine.

But if you mean the A3000UX case, I could try and take some better photos. I'm not exactly good with a camera.
Warty: I've never seen a A1000 box, so I didn't know. I always used to wonder why the preferences Icon on K1.x was a Coat hanger until I realized it was a A1000 (I've never seen one in real life)

High res pics are always good, so that they can be updated on the Amiga hardware sites