English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 13 October 2002, 02:01   #1
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Laserdisc

Wouldn't it be cool if someone bought this and made a nice mpeg or DiVX dump for internet leeches everywhere!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1567815511
Old 25 October 2002, 09:24   #2
Pyromania

Re: Laserdisc

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Wouldn't it be cool if someone bought this and made a nice mpeg or DiVX dump for internet leeches everywhere!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1567815511
I could have done it with the Video Toaster [2], it supports NTSC & PAL but my Laserdisk player is only NTSC I am afraid.
Old 25 October 2002, 10:11   #3
Big-Byte
Long time member

Whats the game in question? I cant connect to ebay at the moment..
Old 25 October 2002, 10:33   #4
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
It would be a movie not a game.

There are quite a few great movies released on laserdisk that have not made it to DVD yet, these include:

The Back to the future series, Star wars 4,5,6 and the Indiana Jones movies. These discs would look alot better then the VHS tape, but nowhere as good as DVD's do today (and they wont have dts/dolby digital sound).

One thing I cant remember, was the data on these huge discs compressed or not? Ever try to see a movie with very quick action (bruce lee) on a dvd? there are alot of artifacts that you dont get watching on analog vhs tape.

Anyway ebay is doing maintenance cant see the movie title
Old 25 October 2002, 11:26   #5
§ane

I do have a PAL/NTSC compatible LD player and can DivX it. Someone buy it and forward it to me!

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
There are quite a few great movies released on laserdisk that have not made it to DVD yet, these include:

The Back to the future series, Star wars 4,5,6 and the Indiana Jones movies.
The BTTF Trilogy has recently made it to DVD. I'm still awaiting Indiana Jones!

Quote:
One thing I cant remember, was the data on these huge discs compressed or not?
Fully uncompressed AFAIK.

Quote:
Ever try to see a movie with very quick action (bruce lee) on a dvd? there are alot of artifacts that you dont get watching on analog vhs tape.
An example of lossy MPEG compression! Bleh!
Old 25 October 2002, 13:06   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
No, it's a laser-demo-disc for games that was run in stores. It promoted games from a wealth of platforms (consoles and Amiga) from the years of the Amiga's heyday. A retro dream disc!
Old 25 October 2002, 16:31   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by §ane
Fully uncompressed AFAIK.
Am I correct in saying that Laserdisc looks better than DVD? Since it is uncompressed, you don't get artifacting shit at all...

I could be wel lwrong anyway, I don't have a Laserdisc, but I used one some time ago and I thought it rocked
Old 25 October 2002, 16:57   #8
Big-Byte
Long time member

Quote:
Not necessarily... What about all those lovely Laserdisc Arcade games that have been dumped already..

I got the raw MPEG for Mach 3 and Firefox the other week and am now patiently waiting for Daphne to support them.
Old 25 October 2002, 21:37   #9
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Am I correct in saying that Laserdisc looks better than DVD? Since it is uncompressed, you don't get artifacting shit at all...

I could be wel lwrong anyway, I don't have a Laserdisc, but I used one some time ago and I thought it rocked
I know the resolution is alot lower then DVD, but better then VHS
Old 26 October 2002, 05:12   #10
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira

I put my Laserdisk and DVD side by side and you know what Laserdisk looks better than DVD, it is uncompressed after all. The disadvantage is th size of the discs and the fact that you have to flip them unless you have a player that plays both sides. I have always loved Laserdisc and mine has a serial port so I am able to control it from Scala on my Amiga's.

DVDs advantage is small size, DD 5.1, multi views (Not many DVD's take advantage of this feature though) more than one language, directors commentary etc.

Another advantage of Laserdisc is you can get discs dirt cheap and some Laserdiscs are not on DVD. You can buy DVD/Laserdisc combo units if you want the best of both worlds.

Old 26 October 2002, 09:33   #11
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyromania
I put my Laserdisk and DVD side by side and you know what Laserdisk looks better than DVD, it is uncompressed after all. The disadvantage is th size of the discs and the fact that you have to flip them unless you have a player that plays both sides. I have always loved Laserdisc and mine has a serial port so I am able to control it from Scala on my Amiga's.

DVDs advantage is small size, DD 5.1, multi views (Not many DVD's take advantage of this feature though) more than one language, directors commentary etc.

Another advantage of Laserdisc is you can get discs dirt cheap and some Laserdiscs are not on DVD. You can buy DVD/Laserdisc combo units if you want the best of both worlds.
Well I dont think anybody is making/developing that format anymore. The discs of the great movies go for alot of money (those classics unreleased on dvd). I dont think they really ever caught on like DVD has, the movie library is not as large.

My dream is to have movies on 1 disk the size of a cd that hold HDTV quality movies (blue ray dvd hold 100's of gb's). What sucks now is that technology is changing so fast that the medium you collect movies gets changed very fast, The days that VHS format lasted forever are gone, 10 years will be tops for a format soon.