English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 August 2020, 14:16   #1
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

Turrican 30th birthday edition

According to Nintendo Life, there is announcement about a 30th birthday edition of a Turrican game tomorrow at Gamescom

Last edited by twenty90seven; 26 August 2020 at 14:18. Reason: Accuracy
Old 26 August 2020, 14:30   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Links are not illegal

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ing_a_comeback

Can't wait to see what's coming up.
Old 26 August 2020, 15:06   #3
lilwshu

I hope they fix the utterly broken scrolling mechanic which makes the originals a memory test. Every time I play it I am gobsmacked it made it through testing and two sequels, and am mystified at the high regard it is still held in (OK it looks and sounds nice).
Old 26 August 2020, 15:11   #4
roondar

It's held in high regard because it's a very good game with only very few flaws. One of those is indeed the existence of the occasional "leap of faith". However, this is something that is not unique to the franchise and even shows up in arcade & console games that are extremely highly rated. Memory based level design is an arcade staple after all

Edit
Anyway, I almost forgot: I'm cautiously optimistic here. Whether this'll be good would (for me anway) rather depend on how much of the original two C64/Amiga games feel they keep. If it's an exploration heavy action game with tons of secrets and a massive world/levels to explore I'm going to be very happy. If they add the originals "lightning gun", I'll be even happier.

If on the other hand they make it more like Turrican 3/Super Turrican with smaller more linear levels and no "lightning gun", I'll probably end up being at least slightly disappointed.

Last edited by roondar; 26 August 2020 at 15:16. Reason: Forgot to react to the news :p
Old 26 August 2020, 15:16   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The Amiga version has classic "big sprites, low resolution" limitations - you don't see very far around you. But it was also used to good effect to hide secrets and such. I don't remember any true leaps of faith where you would jump into nothingness and then would end up dying in a hole, anytime you would jump into nothing, there was always something to land on below.

I don't think a change in scrolling can do much about that for a multi-directional platformer.
Old 26 August 2020, 15:28   #6
lilwshu

When I refer to the scrolling mechanic I mean the fact that your guy is positioned far too close to the edge of the screen when it push scrolls rather than being in the middle, which means when the fast moving enemies run at you you have almost zero chance of avoiding them first time round.
Old 26 August 2020, 15:35   #7
Gerry

Quote:
Strictly Limited Games will open pre-orders for the exclusive and limited editions of the game.
So I most probably won't stand a chance of getting the game for a reasonable price, as by the time I'd try to pre-order the game, the available copies will be depleted - because I wasn't fast enough.

The game will pop up on Ebay for an unrealistic price for sure.
Old 26 August 2020, 15:37   #8
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwshu View Post
When I refer to the scrolling mechanic I mean the fact that your guy is positioned far too close to the edge of the screen when it push scrolls rather than being in the middle, which means when the fast moving enemies run at you you have almost zero chance of avoiding them first time round.
Well, to be 100% honest I never even noticed that. So it's clearly not a problem for everyone
Old 26 August 2020, 15:39   #9
ransom1122

I just finished the trilogy of turrican games again last week... Finished them so many times, and its always a pleasure to replay them after all these years..

Let's hope a decent reboot surfaces
Old 26 August 2020, 15:41   #10
brett71

Only if Chris Huelsbeck does the music....
Old 26 August 2020, 16:16   #11
dreadnought

Sometimes reading the comments section is actually worth it:

Quote:
JohnnyC 2:20pm

Hopefully turns out better than the Contra reboot.
Quote:
Xiovanni 2:24pm

Turrican what Konami Can'tra
Old 26 August 2020, 16:21   #12
Rotareneg

I don't remember being bothered by the scrolling way back when I played it on a real Amiga, but now I find it annoying enough to kinda ruin the game for me.
Old 26 August 2020, 16:24   #13
rothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwshu View Post

I totally agree, it is such a bizarre design. It's not the only game that does that either.

Why would you want most of the screen to be the things behind you?!
Old 26 August 2020, 17:08   #14
Amigajay

Imaging some budget UI4 models and lighting with floaty controls and low detail backgrounds, of course keeping my expectations very low!
Old 26 August 2020, 17:13   #15
str0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
I totally agree, it is such a bizarre design. It's not the only game that does that either.

Why would you want most of the screen to be the things behind you?!

Off topicish - I find this an issue in most overhead scrolling racing games, micro machine sort of thing, you can never see far enough ahead and they show tons of track behind you which is mostly irrelevant
Old 26 August 2020, 17:56   #16
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
So I most probably won't stand a chance of getting the game for a reasonable price, as by the time I'd try to pre-order the game, the available copies will be depleted - because I wasn't fast enough.

The game will pop up on Ebay for an unrealistic price for sure.

Yeah, very disappointing that Factor 5 choose Stricktly Limited Games. I had to pirate Ultra Core, not a chance to get a copy for a reasonable price elsewhere.
Old 26 August 2020, 18:31   #17
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Exactly.
Old 26 August 2020, 18:42   #18
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Yeah, very disappointing that Factor 5 choose Stricktly Limited Games. I had to pirate Ultra Core, not a chance to get a copy for a reasonable price elsewhere.
At least it wasn’t Limited Run Games!
Old 26 August 2020, 19:01   #19
-Acid-

Pre-orders are not limited to numbers available but time, sometimes the window is open for well over a month. The limited edition will obviously be limited though usually to a few thousand copies with all of the extras. I managed to buy Ultracore no problem and I wasn't there on dot when orders opened.
Old 26 August 2020, 19:50   #20
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Maybe. But i don't do pre-orders. I only buy games when they are actually available.