English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 15 April 2009, 23:50   #1
kirk
Zone Friend

sound prob on some games using 1.5.3, okay on 1.2

hi

using the exact same config on the same pc, using winuae 1.5.3 the game gods exhibits a very pronounced crakle/echo/pingy type sound after sound effects play, wheras in winuae 1.2 the sound is perfect.

ive enclosed the config used.ive tinkered with every setting winuae's gui offers but nowt improves the sound
(however, increasing the sound lag from the default 4 tp 6 or above improves the sound, but obviously the sfx lag like mad with the setting that high)

ive also tried shift+f12 during play to get the debugger (even though i wud be baffled by it !), but it does not come up, is there a key to display ingame frames per second ?, that may shed some light, but as i mentioned, im using the same pc as i am for the 1.2 winuae.

thanx for any input, if i cud sort this it wud be usefull if i run into the same prob on other games (not tested em all yet)

cheers
Attached Files
File Type: uae gods.uae (16.5 KB, 126 views)
Old 16 April 2009, 00:03   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Dunno if it's of any worth to you, but just tested my config and I have no problem with the sound. Maybe you wanna try it.
Attached Files
File Type: uae Gods (T).UAE (11.3 KB, 141 views)
Old 16 April 2009, 00:27   #3
kirk
Zone Friend

cheers, will do.

cud this be a performance issue, maybe 1.5.3 needs a little more pc juice than 1.2, however, my pc runs aga stuff like banshee ok and gods is not aga, anyway i shall look at ur config and see if i can get any pointers, thanx.
Old 16 April 2009, 00:35   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

To give you some pointers : I have a AMD X2 3800+, 2 GB Ram and a 7800 GT here (running quite a lot background junk btw ). Using onboard sound, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 16 April 2009, 01:10   #5
kirk
Zone Friend

thanx cyberdruid, your config was instrumental in getting to the nub of the cause.
it was the 'cycle exact' box being ticked in chipset options causing the prob (this was the one option i did not try cos i have that box also ticked when running in 1.2 for all my games, and no probs)

so i guess 1.2 is a bit faster ?, or maybe its cos that partic box in 1.2 says 'cycle exact cpu and blitter' wheras in 1.5.3 it just says 'cycle exact', i dont know, im just glad the prob is sorted, thanx to ur help.

one little ques, i noticed ur using 1.3.1, does it have the brightness and gamma options in display ?, i wud like to find out what was the earliest version that had those options so i can run winuae on my slow netbook.

ill be still be sticking to 1.5.3 on my vista pc cos of the extra options and the fact it is vista compatible, i just need to investigate save state compatibility and im sorted.

cheers
Old 16 April 2009, 07:51   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
one little ques, i noticed ur using 1.3.1, does it have the brightness and gamma options in display ?, i wud like to find out what was the earliest version that had those options so i can run winuae on my slow netbook.
I'm not using 1.3.1, just the config was created (or modified) with 1.3.1.
About the first version with brightness, contrat and gamma options :
Quote:
WinUAE 1.4.2 (12.05.2007)
=========================

New features:

- Global brightness, contrast and gamma adjustment.
Oh and good to hea it's sorted