English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 December 2005, 17:00   #1
lauri_t

31khz modes on Nec Multisync II

Hi, I tried to use a couple of 31khz modes on my Multisync II. I copied dblpal, vgaonly, multiscan and super72 from the WB diskettes to the monitors directory.
All of them work but the upper part of the screen suffers from horisontal wavelike distortion. According to http://www.monitorworld.com/Monitors...ltisyncii.html the monitor should support these modes. The distortion looks a bit "rolled" like when you roll a paper. It's a bit hard to describe but I'll try to upload a few pics.
Any hints on what the reason might be? Could it be the cable?
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Earlier I posted this http://www.amiga.org/modules/newbb/v...=28145&forum=8
Old 13 December 2005, 17:27   #2
thomas

Remove VGAonly and try again. VGAonly is not a driver on itself but it slightly changes the frequencies of the other drivers so that those modes "are better displayed on a VGA monitor". Perhaps this is not true for your monitor, so try it without VGAonly.
Old 13 December 2005, 20:00   #3
lauri_t

Thanks for the tip, thomas! That help at least a bit. I managed to move the distortion outside the monitor by tuning the monitor's settings. Now the only problem is that when I play games that work in a full screen I have to adjust the monitor so that everything will fit to the screen.

Edit: There's still one problem. The screen doesn't go all the way to the sides but looks like an A4, if you catch my meaning. Is there some way to get past this? If use 800x600 resolution the screen just scrolls when I move the pointer to the sides.

Last edited by lauri_t; 13 December 2005 at 21:22.
Old 14 December 2005, 06:27   #4
Jope
-

Take a look at the maximum displayable area in the screen mode preferences.. If your current display mode only goes up to 640 in width, you will get a scrolling virtual desktop if you select a 800 wide screen.

The stripes on the edges of the screen are to be expected if you use a monitor with analog controls.

There's three options:
- deal with it and adjust the image every time the mode changes
- adjust for pal (or if you don't play games, adjust for the mode you normalliy view) and then use monedit to make all the modes fit onto the screen without adjustments
- try searching aminet for pre-tweaked monitor files someone else with the same monitor has created

The same problem also exists with the Commodore 1940 and 1942 monitors.. You end up turning the size and position knobs too often..