English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 04 February 2022, 00:01   #261
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
I'd like to suggest adding the latest trend in town to your list aka Green Beret, 2nd fire button to jump, additionally, green button to use secondary weapon for those who happen to own a CD32 pad.

Edit : Ah, I see that you're discussing the controls with the author...

Last edited by SquawkBox; 04 February 2022 at 00:13.
Old 04 February 2022, 14:05   #262
Solo Kazuki

I have no time lastly, but planning update with some new entries.
Also, I've also no time to quarrel what's not working on Your pad which not working sometimes. Nathan Never is working on my joypad as described on list.
Old 04 February 2022, 20:25   #263
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
Also, I've also no time to quarrel what's not working on Your pad.
As you see fit, but I didn't explicitly ask for support, did I ? As long as your list (or Sunchild's) doesn't mention that it applies to owners of modded joysticks / joypads exclusively, I feel entitled to mention limitations that apply to SMS pads / joysticks. Like it or not, it's probably the most used method to use 2nd fire button in games among the non modding crowd. When using a SMS pad, MD pads are complimentary as I explained earlier on. It was of some help with a few titles, but not with Nathan Never apparently.

Of course, I can make mistakes and intend to correct the situation in such case, as far as possible. It's Ok for me to give another try e.q. using the IPF's instead of the ADF's, I also have a Playstation adapter at my disposal which might give better results. Unlike your servants on PPA.pl, folks on EAB who don't own the full range of pads / joysticks might be interested in reading about failed attempts. Having said that, it appears only space bar will display inventory / health status in that particular game with a SMS pad in hand. Finally, if you're not willing to tackle potential issue when I relate those attempts of mine on any grounds, then don't, simple as that . I will not hold it against you.
Old 04 February 2022, 22:46   #264
jotd
This cat is no more

original Green Beret arcade has up for jump AND ladders. Almost like an amiga game

I don't think I've seen another arcade game with that setup.
Old 07 February 2022, 15:58   #265
SquawkBox

No better luck with Playstation adapter in 2-buttons configuration and original Playstation analog controller. I tried with both available versions of Nathan Never (cracked and IPF).
Old 10 February 2022, 12:24   #266
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
No better luck with Playstation adapter in 2-buttons configuration and original Playstation analog controller. I tried with both available versions of Nathan Never (cracked and IPF).
Did You tried WHDLoad version?

And reading "i'm buying this, i'm buying that" I'm thinking... is not simpler, and even cheaper, to buy just joystick/joypad which is working just on standard of Amiga/Atari? Just asking.

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 10 February 2022 at 12:33.
Old 11 February 2022, 13:44   #267
SquawkBox

If I buy another stick, one stick from my collection has to go first since I have a drawer full of them. Ideally, I'd go at some place in town to have my QuickShot Maverick 3 or MegaStar Jr. sv 135 modded, but this kind of novelty shops have became increasingly rare in Paris (and unfriendly to aged 40+ newcomers with no intention to buy heaps of original games from them). Having one's retro console modded to play imports is probably the best one can expect these days, and you don't get to meet the modder in person. Utter the word Commodore in such a shop, and they'll probably make moon eyes at you.

I have contact with the English expert who sells the Playstation db9 adapter on eBay so there's still hope, but really I am starting to enjoy a lot playing Amiga games either with the SMS joystick or with my Playstation arcade stick (the PS Arcade from Interact). That ancient 2-button joystick is a bit crummy, and its plastic shell may even contain toxic residues , but it lies pleasantly in hand.

Also, I beg to differ... For me, it's all right for peeps to use a Mega Drive stick / pad (behind an adapter) or a SMS pad if that's all they have at their disposal. You did an excellent job pushing SunChild's list further, but for me a perfect list would have to be split into categories (not that I am asking you to make such modifications). Since I can play each and every game from your list on my A500 (except those relying on CD32 controls obviously) as intended, a modded joystick is not an absolute must-have. It would be nice to have one for sure, but I can live without it.

About Nathan Never, most of the times, ReadMe from the author of the corresponding slave mentions if he patched the game for additional controls. I will give it a try in WinUAE but most likely it is not supported (Dr. Cinicus slave seems very straightforward in that respect). Also, Turrican I & II support 2nd fire button natively (for smart bombs).

Last edited by SquawkBox; 11 February 2022 at 16:10.
Old 12 February 2022, 08:37   #268
SquawkBox

Nathan Never slave craps out on me, complains about Workbench arguments whatever this is, tried with downgraded WHDLoad to no avail. Can't be bothered to report issue on mantis.

Oh, before I forget, Heroes Of the Menu... I mean Heroes Of the Lance support 2nd fire button to access menu (WHDLoad).

Last edited by SquawkBox; 12 February 2022 at 09:09.
Old 02 April 2022, 10:02   #269
Solo Kazuki

No matter what I'm trying, 2nd button works ok in Nathan Never. What could I do to stop this working? And serioulsly I'll try to check this with other controllers.

Thanks for Heroes..., it's added to list.
Old 02 April 2022, 20:52   #270
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
2nd button works ok in Nathan Never.
Assuming it's been patched to support 2nd fire button in WHDLoad, then I won't deny it. As I said, despite my attempts, I couldn't load the preinstalled in my emulated 3.9 setup (and considering the stiff controls, I am not too prone to persevere). Dr Cinicus (author of said slave) may have omitted to mention that he took care of making it possible to use 2nd button that way while working on his patch, simple as that.
Old 01 September 2022, 12:54   #271
Solo Kazuki

Just mention that list on PPA was updated today. Among new entries Flashback have description and Hired Guns was added, both with possibility of using MegaDrive joypad to control.
Old 30 October 2022, 04:41   #272
SquawkBox

Magic Johnson's Fast Break supports two buttons input method (in WHDLoad). In case you wonder, game is the coin op' (Arcadia) original on which is based Melbourne House Magic Johnson's Basketball (slave of the latter doesn't support such input method).

Last edited by SquawkBox; 30 October 2022 at 06:19.
Old 02 November 2022, 07:21   #273
SquawkBox

Just a little suggest for rectification :
Yo! Jo! supports 2 buttons input method natively, slave merely allows for deactivating / activating 2nd button support selectively for first / second player through options (not sure why any WHDLoad user would want to do that).

Last edited by SquawkBox; 02 November 2022 at 09:15.
Old 03 November 2022, 15:47   #274
SquawkBox

Fire & Brimstone slave supports CD32 joypad.
Old 12 November 2022, 00:35   #275
SquawkBox

Jeff Fabre's Scramble 500 (disk version) has support for 2nd fire button (to use bombs), even 3rd button (to pause, can't test it myself though), and also CD32 joypad.
Old 13 November 2022, 19:01   #276
Drittz78

Never understood why the Amiga stuck to 1 button. From what I gather it wasn't a limitation of the Amiga but the developers and joystick manufactures. I always thought this was a big reason the Amiga failed.
Old 18 November 2022, 19:49   #277
Solo Kazuki

Thanks again, @SquawkBox.
Old 19 November 2022, 17:23   #278
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drittz78 View Post
Never understood why the Amiga stuck to 1 button. From what I gather it wasn't a limitation of the Amiga but the developers and joystick manufactures. I always thought this was a big reason the Amiga failed.
The Amiga supports 2 buttons but most joystick on the market were single button because of C64 and Atari stuff.

Making a game require 2 buttons means theres a chance some portion of your audience cannot play it correctly.
Old 20 November 2022, 02:14   #279
SquawkBox

Kevin Gallagher's port of Missile Command supports 3 mouse buttons, one for each direction of firing missiles.

Hey, you (OP) didn't ask for games supporting 2+ joystick fire buttons ! On a more serious note, I think the game controls are remarkable since shooting requires all three mouse buttons instead of one or two.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 21 November 2022 at 14:21.
Old 23 November 2022, 19:19   #280
SquawkBox

Sky High Stuntman, second fire button to use bombs (unlike what the manual mentions, for some reason).