English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 02 May 2011, 18:03   #1
Narf the Mouse

KyroFlux - How might it compare to the CatWeasel?

Link: http://webstore.kryoflux.com/catalog...products_id=41

I'm not sure what "precisely sampling the magnetic flux transition timing" means, but if it means it reads my problematic floppies faster than one per days, that sounds good to me.

Your thoughts?
Old 03 May 2011, 04:18   #2
kipper2k

You are not able to write images using kryoflux so if you want to actually write your disk images do not buy the Kryoflux

Last edited by kipper2k; 03 May 2011 at 04:36.
Old 03 May 2011, 07:56   #3
pmc
gone

Kryoflux software that includes write support is due for imminent release though, no...?

http://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39

As someone who has owned a Catweasel Mk.IV and also owns a Kryoflux I can say that reading of disk images is *far* better with the Kryoflux, in my opinion anyway.

Once write support has been added, I can personally see no reason why anyone should prefer the Catweasel.
Old 03 May 2011, 13:47   #4
kipper2k

No, if you read all the posts, they have not had time to implement write support and it is not forthcoming soon. it keeps getting pushed back

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
Kryoflux software that includes write support is due for imminent release though, no...?

http://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39

As someone who has owned a Catweasel Mk.IV and also owns a Kryoflux I can say that reading of disk images is *far* better with the Kryoflux, in my opinion anyway.

Once write support has been added, I can personally see no reason why anyone should prefer the Catweasel.
Old 03 May 2011, 14:44   #5
pmc
gone

The posts do read to me like delays have been introduced by wanting any write support update to be a perfectly working solution rather than a potentially bugged release.

I'll stay hopeful there will soon be write support available with Kryoflux.
Old 05 May 2011, 01:48   #6
Interceptor

its forthcoming just as soon as its finished.

it not being pushed back at all, its being worked on constantly, between our day jobs, and all other kryoflux/SPS stuff is being held back while its being finished off.

sure its frustrating for those that are waiting that its not ready yet. we dont expect anyone to really understand the reasons why this takes so much time and has to be correct, but we do appreciate your patience while we deliver it so!
Old 18 May 2011, 21:03   #7
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

And I am pretty sure we never hid that fact... we always said preservation comes first and writing is a bonus. It's coming, and we're making it rock solid. Not "could work", "should work", "is supposed to work".

In regard to quality, we are not going to comment on competitive products. There are reasons we made our own, and there are reasons why large institutes like the British Library have chosen KryoFlux over competitive products.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...gital-archives

I would recommend looking at formats supported (what kind of disks can be read), operating systems supported (Windows 64bit? Mac OS? Linux?), portability (e.g. is it plug & play via USB) and expertise of people involved (SPS).

Cheers!
Old 18 May 2011, 21:14   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

I am convinced enough to have ordered one.

(...and I already own an ISA Catweasel, and Catweasels III and IV. )
Old 27 May 2011, 20:20   #9
Narf the Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
And I am pretty sure we never hid that fact... we always said preservation comes first and writing is a bonus. It's coming, and we're making it rock solid. Not "could work", "should work", "is supposed to work".

In regard to quality, we are not going to comment on competitive products. There are reasons we made our own, and there are reasons why large institutes like the British Library have chosen KryoFlux over competitive products.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...gital-archives

I would recommend looking at formats supported (what kind of disks can be read), operating systems supported (Windows 64bit? Mac OS? Linux?), portability (e.g. is it plug & play via USB) and expertise of people involved (SPS).

Cheers!
All cogent points, one of which is why I asked on here instead of sending the SPS an e-mail on the Kyroflux as compared to the Catweasel.

The input you can give, however, is informative on the Kyroflux - Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I am convinced enough to have ordered one.

(...and I already own an ISA Catweasel, and Catweasels III and IV. )
I'm very likely to buy one; it depends pretty much on my bank account at this point.

I do have a few questions for those who've bought one, though. Feel free to answer any or none.

1) What's the CPU usage like on your computer (please include make and model of your CPU)?
2) About how long does it take to read a good Amiga floppy? A damaged one? A very damaged one?
3) How much (or little) heat and noise is produced?
4) Can you pause/resume a disk read? After closing the program (I'm assuming the Kyroflux comes with a software program that runs the hardware)? After a computer power off and on?
Old 28 May 2011, 07:54   #10
ajk

1) Not really measurable, below one percent (i7-2600K)
2) A good one takes about 3-4 minutes
3) It's just what the floppy drive produces normally
4) Doesn't seem like it, haven't looked in-depth though
Old 28 May 2011, 20:19   #11
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

1) about 1-2% on 1.6GHz Atom CPU
2) ADOS to ADF: 2 min. 10 sec. (full error correction on*); forensic dump for preservation 3 min. 42 sec.
3) indeed, normal drive noise only.
4) Sector dumps, like ADF, are one pass (no pause, no continue). Forensic dumps create one file per cylinder / side, so you can always replace tracks dumped lateron by setting start end end track for dumping.

*KryoFlux comes with advanced algorithms that can very precisely decode bitcells from flux reversals. Even slightly malformed or misaligned data can usually be read. For C64 dumps the error correction is even more precise than on the C64 itself, which means KryoFlux can detect errors in decoding that would go undetected on a C64.

More advanced analysis can be done with our Analyser which can even recreate broken protection tracks like Rob Northen Copylock. Please note that the latter is not part of the KryoFlux package, but both share some ideas and techniques.