English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 21 January 2021, 17:11   #1
litwr

Is there complete Defender Of The Crown for Amiga somewhere?

This game was among my first Amiga games in the 80s. Its graphics and sounds were very good for that time. But this impression was spoiled by my acquaintance who told me that this game for the IBM PC has much better gameplay, additional options, screens, ...
Later I read that the version for the Amiga was the first and developers just added some useful features for later releases. However there was a release for the Amiga CDTV which also doesn't have features of versions for the IBM PC, Apple Macintosh, Apple IIgs, or even for the 8-bit Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC 6128. IMHO the version for the Amiga has an absolutely inferior gameplay among all other versions. Indeed, there is a hope that a better version for the Amiga exists.
Recently, I have accidentally found a refcard for an Amiga release - https://www.myabandonware.com/game/d...n-14r#download - it describes features which are absent in a classical variant of this game for the Amiga. Maybe someone knows something more about it? Thank you.
Old 21 January 2021, 17:31   #2
kamelito
Zone Friend

The Amiga version of DOTC was written in 6 weeks. Given the loss of two coders and a strict deadline for the product to be released, a few features which appeared in subsequent releases on other platforms did not make it into the Amiga version.
(e.g. the Greek fire and disease attack options). In a 1988 interview, Cinemaware founder Bob Jacob judged that the most definitive version of DOTC released was for rival platform, the Atari ST [Source: Cinemaware feature article, Your Amiga, June 88, p16].
Old 21 January 2021, 17:47   #3
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by litwr View Post
Recently, I have accidentally found a refcard for an Amiga release - https://www.myabandonware.com/game/d...n-14r#download - it describes features which are absent in a classical variant of this game for the Amiga. Maybe someone knows something more about it? Thank you.
What features do you have in mind? I read it and couldn't see anything amiss.

I read elsewhere that C64 is most feature-complete, it's interesting to hear about Atari ST. Must give it a go later....

Overall, even knowing that Amiga's version is the simplest one, I still like it the most. DotC's main strength and selling point was its unbelievable gfx/sfx and in regard to this angle Amiga is still #1.
Old 21 January 2021, 17:49   #4
Gordon
Settler

Defender of the crown 2 is the enchanced version of defender of the crown. Basically the "finished version"
https://www.mobygames.com/game/defender-of-the-crown-ii
Old 21 January 2021, 17:51   #5
Gordon
Settler

WHDload version here https://www.whdownload.com/games/D/D..._v1.1_CD32.lha
Old 22 January 2021, 16:35   #6
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Defender of the crown 2 is the enchanced version of defender of the crown. Basically the "finished version"
IIRC Jim Sachs wrote it using the software The Director.
Old 23 January 2021, 20:38   #7
fractalsister

Quote:

That is incorrect. It is a variation on the gameplay; the CDTV version is the enhanced version of the original, with all the features missing in the Amiga 500 version that the ST, C64, etc. versions all have.
Old 24 January 2021, 20:08   #8
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalsister View Post
That is incorrect. It is a variation on the gameplay; the CDTV version is the enhanced version of the original, with all the features missing in the Amiga 500 version that the ST, C64, etc. versions all have.
Can you show us pictures of all those new features on the CDTV version?

HOL : DEFENDER OF THE CROWN CDTV features minor graphical improvements and major sound enhancements (incl. two CDDA soundtracks) over the 1986 Cinemaware disk release.

Last edited by kamelito; 24 January 2021 at 20:32.
Old 24 January 2021, 21:25   #9
Gordon
Settler

He’s wrong Kamelito. Defender of the crown 2 is actually a cdtv game that works with cd32 maybe that’s why he is confused . But 1 is the same as 500 on cdtv in gameplay terms
Old 24 January 2021, 22:55   #10
Korodny
Zone Friend

Gameplay is not "exactly the same", DotC 2 puts more emphasis on the financial aspect: The game's goal is now to raise enough money to pay the ransom for king lionheart (instead of defeating all the other lords) and you had more control over your resources: Insted of a "Build army" menu item, you had something called "check resources", IIRC. Both features were introduced in DotC and not present in any earlier version of the game.
Old 24 January 2021, 23:11   #11
AMike

Quote:
Yeah - that's by far the best version of Defender of the crown.
Old 25 January 2021, 13:38   #12
jarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
In a 1988 interview, Cinemaware founder Bob Jacob judged that the most definitive version of DOTC released was for rival platform, the Atari ST [Source: Cinemaware feature article, Your Amiga, June 88, p16].
So maybe the Atari version can be converted to Amiga by one of our great atari-->amiga guru's..????
Old 26 January 2021, 03:54   #13
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarre View Post
So maybe the Atari version can be converted to Amiga by one of our great atari-->amiga guru's..????

I played the ST version and some of the AI/stats were different from the Amiga. Thus, the game play didn't feel the same to me.

I asked James Sachs on why those C64/ST features were left out, the answer was that they ran out of time. To be honest -- there's not too much difference when I used Greek fire and disease during siege.
Old 29 January 2021, 21:22   #14
fractalsister

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Can you show us pictures of all those new features on the CDTV version?

HOL : DEFENDER OF THE CROWN CDTV features minor graphical improvements and major sound enhancements (incl. two CDDA soundtracks) over the 1986 Cinemaware disk release.

I am not currently at my home, so I do not have access to my Amiga. However, just load up the CDTV version and check for yourself; you have the different options in battle, as well as the option to use different kinds of bombardments in the siege subgame.

DOTC2 has a different objective than any DOTC1 game, namely, to procure a ransom for the king. It is a different game.
Old 30 January 2021, 13:40   #15
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalsister View Post
DOTC2 has a different objective than any DOTC1 game, namely, to procure a ransom for the king. It is a different game.
Agreed, different games

I've finished both Defender of the Crown and Defender of the Crown II [CD32] on the Amiga numerous times.

DOTC2 is somewhat easier in my mind.