English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 12 January 2021, 15:00   #181
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCopland View Post
Did you spend years telling people you'd build it and that they'd be able to have it?
Did you get all the way through building it with just a couple of minor, in your own words, tweaks but that it was already in the hands of a few people?
Did you then turn around and say that you'd never finish it and you'd changed your mind because someone was excited and asked you about it on the internet?

I can respect Stephens decision but I cannot help but be frustrated at it, especially as he keeps open sourcing things and then deleting them which is completely against the ethos. The blow back from doing it though was always going to be a massive sense of disappointment.

Before you say anything, yes I have multiple open source projects, and contribute to others.

There were lots of people cheering him on, hoping that he'd succeed, and as evidenced by Chucky's card he did...

It feels very much like a few ruined it for everyone, and that's upsetting, it's letting the few ruin it for the many.
I am glad that he got what he wanted from it, and I have a TF330 and TF328 which I love, but I was really hoping to get the other cards too.

You can drop the whole "he didn't ask for support" rubbish, he posted about it, announced them, made a youtube channel, sold them, etc. Of course people supported him and his efforts.
AJCopland - NAILED IT!

You know how Chucky keeps calling people dicks and dickheads on this thread? Well...I think that describes Stephen's behaviour here, which you summed up swimmingly. I mean...who does what Stephen has done in the Amiga scene?

I said it elsewhere, I hope the ghosts who he claims are stealing his precious IP bring it to market - because I'll give THEM my money with pleasure.
Old 12 January 2021, 15:03   #182
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
@Deadelus
the point of all that was when you start a conversation, like these threads, showing what you're doing it is not done without getting something back. What you get back is support, and what you have created is excitement/enthusiasm/interest in what you are doing.

The idea is that it encourages and supports the person creating the thing by showing that there is interest.

So no, there is nothing concrete, no formal agreement, but if you think there isn't trust being broken, or a social agreement that isn't being adhered too then you seem to be willfully misunderstanding peoples frustrations.
This was my point about my open source projects, I wasn't expecting you to reply to it. It's there because i wanted to frame the conversation so that you can see that the points I'm making are based on being annoyed at Stephens repeated deletion of his open source work, and that when you open source something you get the benefit of that support from a community even if it's only verbal/enthusiasm for what you do.

Also I wasn't creating the drama, I'm trying to explain to you what you seem to be misunderstanding about others frustrations. The way you responded to YouKnowWho, and then to me, has been really condescending.

I don't want this thread to continue, but when people come in and ask about something, or are annoyed about it being canned then please don't be so dismissive of their feelings because it does not improve things.
100% CORRECT

Some sensible people around here still, thankfully.
Old 12 January 2021, 15:06   #183
Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
AJCopland - NAILED IT!

You know how Chucky keeps calling people dicks and dickheads on this thread? Well...I think that describes Stephen's behaviour here, which you summed up swimmingly. I mean...who does what Stephen has done in the Amiga scene?

I said it elsewhere, I hope the ghosts who he claims are stealing his precious IP bring it to market - because I'll give THEM my money with pleasure.

interesting that claim that I am callinbg people dicks. when all I say people behave like dicks..

and then behave like a .. dick..

good work.
Old 12 January 2021, 15:13   #184
dreadnought

Quote:
Conclusion: I just saved some money I was going to spend on an 68060 setup I absolutely don't need for absolutely anything. I will continue to enjoy my 020/030 based systems...and I'll live!
...but at the same time, I'll continue to bang on about how much I don't care and how much I don't need it in multiple threads, and pretend it's not trolling at all.

Smh. Just another day in the Happy Amiga Family. I don't have a horse in this race, but no wonder that this guy Stephen called it a day.
Old 12 January 2021, 15:21   #185
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
AJCopland - NAILED IT!

Are you serious? The man put in at least 2000 hours of his own time to create all this stuff, most of it is still out there available and being made by various people around the world.

In fact, here you go: https://github.com/hologenics?tab=repositories

5 open sourced projects anyone is welcome to build, or even expand upon if they want to. Not his repositories, but that's the thing - they're out there as he made them available to all - so bash on.

And to be clear, the accelerator that someone was attempting to clone was the TF536, so you'll be waiting a damn long time for a clone of the unreleased TF1260. It seems you're not even in possession of all the facts, and already judgement has been passed. Have you considered running for US president?

As Chris Morris once said, "next time you cross the road, don’t bother looking"

I'll not be responding to anymore of your pish, as apparently that's all you are capable of producing.

Good day sir.
Old 12 January 2021, 17:38   #186
Daedalus

Quote:
@Deadelus
the point of all that was when you start a conversation, like these threads, showing what you're doing it is not done without getting something back. What you get back is support, and what you have created is excitement/enthusiasm/interest in what you are doing.

The idea is that it encourages and supports the person creating the thing by showing that there is interest.
Which is fine until that excitement/enthusiasm/interest turns into nagging/harassment/guilt-tripping. When it gets to that point, any positivity from the so-called support very quickly becomes negativity that drains any interest in the project. And when your only reward for a project is your own enjoyment, suddenly it becomes a "life's too short" situation.

Quote:
So no, there is nothing concrete, no formal agreement, but if you think there isn't trust being broken, or a social agreement that isn't being adhered too then you seem to be willfully misunderstanding peoples frustrations.
No, I get understand the frustrations alright. What I don't get is what the point of bringing them up like this is, or how someone can get so upset as to feel the need to throw insults around and generally whine about it in public. No promises were made, none were broken, no deposits payments were taken, nothing was owed. If you've placed your trust (read that as "if one has placed their trust) in something that was not promised, that's simply faith and hope, nothing more, nothing less. Far more projects never make it to fruition that those that do, for whatever reasons, and understanding that is quite important here I feel.

Quote:
This was my point about my open source projects, I wasn't expecting you to reply to it. It's there because i wanted to frame the conversation so that you can see that the points I'm making are based on being annoyed at Stephens repeated deletion of his open source work, and that when you open source something you get the benefit of that support from a community even if it's only verbal/enthusiasm for what you do.
Right, and I've open-sourced things in the past which have been taken advantage of without so much as a thank you, which has led me to not bother any more. But the whole "Before you say anything" thing seems to be preempting something you had in mind...

Quote:
Also I wasn't creating the drama, I'm trying to explain to you what you seem to be misunderstanding about others frustrations. The way you responded to YouKnowWho, and then to me, has been really condescending.
My apologies if you picked me up wrong, my "you" would have been better served as a "one". But I don't particularly like using one in that sense so I used you... But I was talking about YouKnowWho whipping up the drama, not you.

Quote:
I don't want this thread to continue, but when people come in and ask about something, or are annoyed about it being canned then please don't be so dismissive of their feelings because it does not improve things.
Again, I totally understand the frustration, but it should also be pointed out that this sort of drama and hassling is precisely the type of thing that caused TF to drop the projects in the first place. Perhaps TF's feelings and concerns shouldn't be dismissed and ignored just because someone wants a cheap accelerator and wants to have a tantrum when he can't get one.
Old 12 January 2021, 18:10   #187
AJCopland

Quote:
That is not what I'm saying, I'm as disappointed as anyone at Stephens decision, but I do respect it, he has the right to change his mind and he has no obligation to do anything.

What I dislike is that the people supporting him are often as rude or dismissive as the poeple who come here to express their disappointment.
Old 12 January 2021, 18:10   #188
AJCopland

YouKnowWho, also just because I understand your frustration, doesn't mean you haven't been behaving terribly.
Old 12 January 2021, 19:19   #189
Jope
-

Ok guys.. I wonder if there is anything left to say here?

Please everyone lay off the personal insults.
Old 14 January 2021, 22:27   #190
GadgetUK

The only drama here is the drama brought to this thread in the form of negativity towards Stephen and Chucky. Everything that Stephen did for the community was for free - he never made profits on any of it!!!

This is what the toxic side of this community looks like, people that just want a product and dont give a crap whos head they have to stand on to get it... That's precisely why Stephen snapped. I don't blame him for his decision at all!
Old 15 January 2021, 01:05   #191
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Ok guys.. I wonder if there is anything left to say here?

Please everyone lay off the personal insults.
Oooh, finally an admin :-)
I won't waste energy on arguing with anyone but there's one sort of funny connection between Stephen's... well. what to call it.. "rage quitting the community".. and the Warp1260.
As I understand it it, "the fallout" began with some shipments of some 53x cards repeatedly getting lost by the Polish postal services. So then they had enough and wouldn't send more of these (fairly low) priced cards to Poland.
And then someone got pissed and blah blah...
Anyway, now the next great hope for a new 1260 cards in the community relies on the concept of people sending their €250 rev6 060 CPUs to be handled and delivered by... the Polish postal services... somewhat ironic I must say

Maybe iComp have a thing going on after all. Jeeeens, come on man, do your thing, the tides have turned

Last edited by eXeler0; 15 January 2021 at 11:25.
Old 17 January 2021, 23:26   #192
GadgetUK

The Warp1260 thing is just a coincidence... Stephen wouldn't have made any money, it would have been open sourced at some point (as per prior cards) and it would have been way cheaper than the Warp1260. They were different in what they were providing, but it doesnt take any stretch of the imagination to realise which would have been more popular.

Regards "low priced" cards - if I was shipping out chips at ÂŁ1 each worldwide, and one country seemed to have such an unreliable postal system that 30% of my orders went missing, I would also (for convience and to limit financial loss), cut shipping to that country - even at ÂŁ1 loss per chip, it's not viable. Doesn't matter which country, I would do that also. The possibility I might entertain is "signed for courier", but that is a pain to do for every parcel going out etc, so again I can understand his decision to not want to start sending boards out via courier.
Old 18 January 2021, 11:48   #193
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetUK View Post
The Warp1260 thing is just a coincidence... Stephen wouldn't have made any money, it would have been open sourced at some point (as per prior cards) and it would have been way cheaper than the Warp1260. They were different in what they were providing, but it doesnt take any stretch of the imagination to realise which would have been more popular.
Of course it is a coincidence, but it is somewhat ironic nevertheless. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetUK View Post
Regards "low priced" cards - if I was shipping out chips at ÂŁ1 each worldwide, and one country seemed to have such an unreliable postal system that 30% of my orders went missing, I would also (for convience and to limit financial loss), cut shipping to that country - even at ÂŁ1 loss per chip, it's not viable. Doesn't matter which country, I would do that also. The possibility I might entertain is "signed for courier", but that is a pain to do for every parcel going out etc, so again I can understand his decision to not want to start sending boards out via courier.
I agree, but i said low prices card to highlight the contrast versus expensive 060 chips.
Old 18 January 2021, 13:45   #194
Commodoreguy
Banned

I was saving the money for 060 TF but I get why stephen did what he did... do I agree? Im not sure to be honest... its not how I would have done things but then again I am not Stephen, I dont know what he has going on in his life. What I do know is that keep going on about it isnt going to change the situation! My main point is just go elsewhere order a warp, get a mediator and a ppc card or if you want to push the boat out do like I did and buy a couple of Vampires! my point is Stephen is not the only person in the world doing this stuff you have options and one last thing we all share a love of retro computing and Amigas especially so stop treating each other like the enemy I see so much negativity on boards, groups and the like and there is no need for it - yes the world is a hard place at the moment with Covid19 destroying life as we know it and its all to easy to take these frustrations out on a screen - just remember a screen has a person sitting in front of it... a real life, feeling person. just be nice guys!
Old 19 February 2021, 23:31   #195
Chucky

varpourware...
Old 19 February 2021, 23:44   #196
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post

varpourware...
May I have one then please?
Old 19 February 2021, 23:48   #197
eXeler0

Very realistic 3d render Chucky =)
No but seriously, man that looks sweet ;-) Socketed 060 FTW. Any heatsink/fan solution planned or is it not needed at the frequency card is running?

Cheers
Old 19 February 2021, 23:54   #198
torsti76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
May I have one then please?
I'd take one as well :-)
Old 20 February 2021, 00:33   #199
aeberbach

Yeah, put me down for one too!
Old 20 February 2021, 01:22   #200
eXeler0

Not sure if this was supposed to turn into AmiBay, :-) but hey.. "Declaring interest in one" ;-)