English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 December 2023, 19:58   #1
Sim085

RTG on PiStorm + Emu69

I am trying to follow the tutorial over here:
https://michalsc.github.io/Emu68/tut...P96_Setup.html

I started on WinUAE and continued up till the step where I open Picasso96Mode and select "Attach setting to". However in WinUAE I do not get any board listed. I thought, this might be because I am running on WinUAE and not on the PiStorm. So I moved the CF card to the A1200, but when I boot all I get is a black screen.

I am still connected through the RGB cable on the A1200. If I hold the two mouse buttons I get the start up screen, but allowing the system to boot only gives me a black screen.

Anyone knows what I can do to complete the setup?
Old 13 December 2023, 20:27   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Fist, you're mad to use a CF card as a boot device PiStorm. It's designed to use the SD card plugged into Pi as a Super fast (10x) HDD.

Your AmigaOS installation should be on the SD card

https://michalsc.github.io/Emu68/tut...eparation.html
Old 13 December 2023, 20:41   #3
derSammler

Did you copy the emu68-vc4.card to the Picasso96 folder and modify the monitor file to use that? If not, you can not see the card in Picasso96Mode and hence not attach any modes to it. I'm not sure if you can even do that step in WinUAE, as the hardware is not there and the card driver may not load in that case. But I've never tried it.

But first, you need to solve the black screen issue. Emu68 does not need P96 to be installed and working. You should get an image anyway thru RGB (HDMI will just show the Emu68 logo by default in that case).
Old 13 December 2023, 21:29   #4
Sim085

At the moment I am not really after speed, I had an install on a CF card and continued from there. However I will check about booting from the SD card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Fist, you're mad to use a CF card as a boot device PiStorm. It's designed to use the SD card plugged into Pi as a Super fast (10x) HDD.

Your AmigaOS installation should be on the SD card

https://michalsc.github.io/Emu68/tut...eparation.html
Old 13 December 2023, 21:33   #5
Sim085

Yes I did that. It is a config issue. If I pop-in another CF card it boots ok. Btw, maybe I should have mentioned this, I did have an image from rgb with pistorm and emu68, the image stopped after I installed p96.

I'll refresh the CF card to before I installed p96 and then try again. I'll also see if I can copy my setup to the sd card. Maybe that makes things easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
Did you copy the emu68-vc4.card to the Picasso96 folder and modify the monitor file to use that? If not, you can not see the card in Picasso96Mode and hence not attach any modes to it. I'm not sure if you can even do that step in WinUAE, as the hardware is not there and the card driver may not load in that case. But I've never tried it.

But first, you need to solve the black screen issue. Emu68 does not need P96 to be installed and working. You should get an image anyway thru RGB (HDMI will just show the Emu68 logo by default in that case).
Old 13 December 2023, 23:34   #6
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim085 View Post
Yes I did that. It is a config issue. If I pop-in another CF card it boots ok. Btw, maybe I should have mentioned this, I did have an image from rgb with pistorm and emu68, the image stopped after I installed p96.
Yes, that is normal. When WB starts up and p96 takes over, the display is sent out via the Pi's HDMI. If you run a game or application that opens a non-RTG display, it will flip back to the RGB again.
Old 14 December 2023, 08:18   #7
derSammler

No, that is not normal. Just installing P96 does nothing. You need to create the monitor file, point it to the vc4 card file, setup modes and attach them to the vc4, and finally select one of the modes as the screenmode for the Workbench. Unless you did all that, no switch from RGB to HDMI will ever happen. And he clearly stated he could never attach any modes to the vc4, as the card was not shown. Of course, once P96 is fully running and you switch to an RTG mode, the RGB output is turned off and the picture is shown via HDMI only. But I'm sure he is aware of that.

I would recommend following this setup guide instead:

https://www.retro32.com/amiga-resour...guide-tutorial

Quote:
It is a config issue.
No, it's a setup error. Follow the guide I linked and it will work. Do not mix parts of different setups, do not copy an already existing install. Just do it exactly as written in the guide. You can start customizing it to your needs once it is working.

Last edited by derSammler; 14 December 2023 at 08:35.
Old 14 December 2023, 09:39   #8
Jope
-

Why do these tutorials always create several ID 76 partitions on the card?
Old 16 December 2023, 10:17   #9
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Why do these tutorials always create several ID 76 partitions on the card?

So you can use then as HDD drives. Saves wasting space on card. Plus its faster than IDE.
Old 16 December 2023, 10:23   #10
Jope
-

What is the use case for having multiple emulated hard disks on one memory card, when you could have one emulated hard disk and put the same amount of partitions on there?
Old 16 December 2023, 17:17   #11
klx300r

@Sim085

Check out the article in Issue 11 of WhatIFF? Amiga Guide Magazine
http://aminet.net/package/mags/misc/WhatIFF2.11

Last edited by klx300r; 18 December 2023 at 04:03.
Old 17 December 2023, 11:51   #12
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
@Sim085

Check out the article in Issue 11 of WhatIFF? Amiga Guide Magazine
http://https://forum.whatiff.info/viewtopic.php?t=34
Site won't open for me; - Can't be reached. - Anyone else seeing the same issue?
Old 17 December 2023, 12:33   #13
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
Site won't open for me; - Can't be reached. - Anyone else seeing the same issue?
Bad URL.

Try https://forum.whatiff.info/viewtopic.php?t=34 instead.
Old 17 December 2023, 16:32   #14
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Thanks also posted aminet link in op
Old 18 December 2023, 13:59   #15
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
What is the use case for having multiple emulated hard disks on one memory card, when you could have one emulated hard disk and put the same amount of partitions on there?

If something happens to system partition, you can just replace it.
Plus, drives are not so big if split up. It doesnt matter. its personal preference I suppose.

Are they emulated though?
If using mushashi, then yeh, as it uses HDF's.
Old 18 December 2023, 15:10   #16
Jope
-

Yeah, super easy to do inside Linux. You can even easily swap the contents of individual RDB partitions from from inside the MBR partition with some losetup handiwork.

Not sure if this is in the realm of a tutorial reading target audience though. On the plus side, I seem to remember having several type 76 partitions on one card exposed a bug in WinUAE, so the collective good was advanced. :-)
Old 19 December 2023, 15:10   #17
Lemaru

There is no good reason to create multiple 0x76 partitions on a single SD card. Each 0x76 partition acts as a seperate hard drive, I think it's only that Retro32 tutorial that advises to do that.

Most people just create a single partition then split that up in HDToolbox. As FOL said, personal preference I guess.

As for if the storage is emulated, it isn't. The OS is accessing the Pi hardware directly, same with RTG.

Last edited by Lemaru; 19 December 2023 at 16:26.
Old 19 December 2023, 16:17   #18
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemaru View Post
There is no good reason to create multiple 0x76 partitions on a single SD card. Each 0x76 partition acts as a seperate hard drive, I think it's only that Retro32 tutorial that advises to do that.

Most people just create a single partition then split that up in HDToolbox. As FOL said, personal preference I guess.

As for if the storage is emulated, it isn't. The OS is accessing the Pi hardware directly, same with RTC.
Yes..... & this is what pi$$es me off guys....

Emulation is one thing at CPU level (aka RPi) but anything else Emulated as in "Chipset" is a "Proper ""S M B"" Emulation" in every manner.

Real Custom Chipset & Emulated CPU = Pin Ball Fantasies & etc scrolling correctly, but you might need an 0ld0r CRT or equivalent to
achieve this perspective. - Modern LCD's/IPS screens don't always do what some "CRT Monir0rz" actually do with V-Sync that is properly right!

Last edited by Kin Hell; 19 December 2023 at 17:31.
Old 09 January 2024, 23:46   #19
Sim085

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
No, it's a setup error. Follow the guide I linked and it will work. Do not mix parts of different setups, do not copy an already existing install. Just do it exactly as written in the guide. You can start customizing it to your needs once it is working.

So I have returned back to this, but still no luck

So first thing I did is move my installation from the CF card to the SD card. This works great, the PiStorm now boots from the SD card.

Next thing I downloaded all the required files (Emu68-VC4.card extracted from latest zip in link).

I used lha to unzip Picasso96 and then installed following the tutorial and where the tutorial had no instructions I clicked Yes to everything.

Then I went to Devs/Monitors and renamed the icon to Emu68-VC4 and set the Boardtype to Emu68-VC4.

I then rebooted.

The I went to Prefs, opened Picasso96Mode and added the new setting. This time I can attach a setting, bit the drop down does not list "Emu68-VC4" but "VideoCore".

I tried to continue the setup ignoring this but I simply do not get any output from the HDMI when I select the new screen mode.

I do not know why I am getting VideoCore instead of Emu68-VC4 or if this is the issue or not.
Old 09 January 2024, 23:57   #20
wiz12

Do you have VideoCore.card in Libs:Picasso96?