English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 03 February 2011, 14:56   #1
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Thumbs up Quake I info

OK, not sure if this is strictly allowed, but I'll post it and hang my head in shame if the moderators decide to pull it.

While sorting through a load of old CDs I stumbled across the PC versions of Quake and Quake II. These were proper, bought copies that I got when I bought my PC years ago (2nd hand). Among the discs was a CD-R with the Clickboom release of Amiga Quake on it. 'Brilliant!', I thought. I can play Quake on my Amiga. However, loading it up the installer asks for the license key. The disc is on its own (not even a case) so a key is unlikely. A mooch through the CD doesn't turn up a text file with the info and Google (surprisingly) didn't help. What do do... hmmm...

My solution was to simply unarc the .lhc file and copy the bits manually to my HDD. Then I copied the ID1 folder over. Bingo! It works. At about 3fps!! I've copied the 'full' pc ID1 directory over (apparently it has more levels??) and that also works fine. I've now downloaded the 040 and ppc versions from Aminet and will try those later.

But here's the thing:

Technically I own official versions of Quake & Quake II - albeit for the PC. I got my Clickboom version working by circumventing the (somewhat weak) installation and security process. I also now own the freeware ports made from the freely available sourcecode. Am I actually breaking the law?? If so, anyone reading this, who has downloaded the Clickboom Quake ISO from the internet (I won't divulge the site!!), will now know how to get round the piracy 'protection' and install their 'pirated' versions.

Possibly, no-one will give a damn. But I thought I'd check first!
Old 03 February 2011, 15:21   #2
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
I personally fail to see how you are breaking the law as you are using files you own
but I spose it depends on the end user aggrement how and what you can do with the files

I think quake 2 is free now but not sure about 1
Old 03 February 2011, 15:25   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Both are still sold, but I don't see how this interferes with the copyright. Don't link to the download of the full ISO though.
Old 03 February 2011, 18:20   #4
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Clickboom Quake is pretty poor. Try blitzquake instead.
Old 03 February 2011, 22:32   #5
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Thanks for the feedback - I'm not expecting FACT to come knocking on my door, but it's nice to know I'm playing by the rules

@DDNI - I downloaded Blitzquake but can't get it to run as my system's not quite up to it. I did try QuakeWOS, but it won't do anything
I installed MUI again and tried to run from the WB and CLI.. still nothing!

I'll keep chipping away and see if I can get it running. It'd be nice to play it on the mig!
Old 25 April 2011, 02:02   #6
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuMan View Post
OK, not sure if this is strictly allowed, but I'll post it and hang my head in shame if the moderators decide to pull it.

While sorting through a load of old CDs I stumbled across the PC versions of Quake and Quake II. These were proper, bought copies that I got when I bought my PC years ago (2nd hand). Among the discs was a CD-R with the Clickboom release of Amiga Quake on it. 'Brilliant!', I thought. I can play Quake on my Amiga. However, loading it up the installer asks for the license key. The disc is on its own (not even a case) so a key is unlikely. A mooch through the CD doesn't turn up a text file with the info and Google (surprisingly) didn't help. What do do... hmmm...

My solution was to simply unarc the .lhc file and copy the bits manually to my HDD. Then I copied the ID1 folder over. Bingo! It works. At about 3fps!! I've copied the 'full' pc ID1 directory over (apparently it has more levels??) and that also works fine. I've now downloaded the 040 and ppc versions from Aminet and will try those later.

But here's the thing:

Technically I own official versions of Quake & Quake II - albeit for the PC. I got my Clickboom version working by circumventing the (somewhat weak) installation and security process. I also now own the freeware ports made from the freely available sourcecode. Am I actually breaking the law?? If so, anyone reading this, who has downloaded the Clickboom Quake ISO from the internet (I won't divulge the site!!), will now know how to get round the piracy 'protection' and install their 'pirated' versions.

Possibly, no-one will give a damn. But I thought I'd check first!

the licence code is (110319) then put your name in
i think the source code is free now

Last edited by roy bates; 25 April 2011 at 02:08.