English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 April 2016, 01:12   #1
Nightfox

Gotek drive corrupting ADFs

I have a Gotek drive as df0 on my Amiga 500 and it works fine for a while but then I get errors saying the disk structure is corrupt. Diskdoctor fixes the adf but then the problem reoccurs soon after and I end up with lost files. I've tried 2 usb drives and its flashed to the latest firmware
Old 08 April 2016, 04:16   #2
UberFreak

That's a known issue with HM's firmware, which sadly will probably never be fixed.
AFAIK, it only happens when writing to ADF.
Old 08 April 2016, 09:29   #3
Superman

Check your ADFs for viruses. If one has a virus it will spread to any other files you try.
Old 08 April 2016, 10:38   #4
glenn
Repulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredbanana View Post
I have a Gotek drive as df0 on my Amiga 500 and it works fine for a while but then I get errors saying the disk structure is corrupt. Diskdoctor fixes the adf but then the problem reoccurs soon after and I end up with lost files. I've tried 2 usb drives and its flashed to the latest firmware
Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use diskdoctor, ever.

Diskdoctor do not fix disks, in his best days he might fix it enough to let you read the files, and then format the disk again.

Use something that actually fix the disk instead, for example disksalv.
Old 08 April 2016, 12:13   #5
Nightfox

So is there no reliable USB solution for Amiga 500 yet? Has nobody tried to improve the firmware to fix this.

I would use this drive as df1 instead and just use floppy drive as df0 and copy anything I need booted into floppy but I can't seem to get the gotek working as df1. Whenever I connected it, it would disable the df0 floppy drive and I just end up being shown the floppy disk in hand icon upon powering on the amiga
Old 08 April 2016, 14:15   #6
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Upgrade the firmware to HXC from Jeff
Old 08 April 2016, 15:37   #7
Nightfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Upgrade the firmware to HXC from Jeff
Nice! But does this work with the Gotek?
Old 08 April 2016, 15:49   #8
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredbanana View Post
Nice! But does this work with the Gotek?
YES, there's a version for gotek units Look at the link provided.
It's really the only way people should use Goteks, the firmware is much more advanced.
Old 08 April 2016, 17:26   #9
turrican9

I have had no ADFs go bad on me yet. I have tried saving in several games and no problems thus far. Maybe the Gotek Cortex has issues with certain USB drives. I use 4 and 8GB of various brands. With that said there are very few games that has issues with the Cortex firmware. So far I've found 3 games that has problems with disk swapping. 2 of them could be solved by putting a jumper on the MO (Motor) pins on the Gotek and the last game I could use 2 Gotek drives (DF0 and DF1) to get around the disk swapping problem. All 3 games would work with two Goteks without the need for a jumper on the MO pins. Only other issue I can think of is savedisk for Cannon Fodder since Cannon Fodder use a custom save disk that requires extended ADF. This could be solved by using a regular disk drive as DF1 for this particular game. Cannon Fodder 2 does not have this issue nor have I seen other games with this issue.

So to sum it 3 games had problems with disk swapping which can be worked around and Cannon Fodder as I mentioned above. Other than that the Gotek with the Cortex firmware has been very good for me.

Last edited by turrican9; 08 April 2016 at 17:32.
Old 08 April 2016, 18:11   #10
Nightfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
I have had no ADFs go bad on me yet. I have tried saving in several games and no problems thus far. Maybe the Gotek Cortex has issues with certain USB drives. I use 4 and 8GB of various brands. With that said there are very few games that has issues with the Cortex firmware. So far I've found 3 games that has problems with disk swapping. 2 of them could be solved by putting a jumper on the MO (Motor) pins on the Gotek and the last game I could use 2 Gotek drives (DF0 and DF1) to get around the disk swapping problem. All 3 games would work with two Goteks without the need for a jumper on the MO pins. Only other issue I can think of is savedisk for Cannon Fodder since Cannon Fodder use a custom save disk that requires extended ADF. This could be solved by using a regular disk drive as DF1 for this particular game. Cannon Fodder 2 does not have this issue nor have I seen other games with this issue.

So to sum it 3 games had problems with disk swapping which can be worked around and Cannon Fodder as I mentioned above. Other than that the Gotek with the Cortex firmware has been very good for me.
Well I tried 2 different USB thumb drives with the same results. It only occurred when doing large or frequent writes for example for me when I was doing some coding and saving a lot of source files or when I was transferring library and application files from Workbench to another disk.

I'm going to try this new firmware. I don't own a serial programmer but apparently you can use an arduino to flash the device but I'll need confirmation on this.
Old 08 April 2016, 18:21   #11
Phantomz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
YES, there's a version for gotek units Look at the link provided.
It's really the only way people should use Goteks, the firmware is much more advanced.
I agree, I did this on a couple of Goteks, works great.

So much better for writing to disks, you do have to convert extended adf's to hfe format but at least they work then, so you can save in games that need them like cannon fodder.

For normal disks you can still use adf's, you don't need to convert to hfe.

The HxC firmware for the Gotek is really the only option if you want a cheap drive that works.
Old 08 April 2016, 18:27   #12
Nightfox

Does this new firmware still use the old SELECTOR.ADF or does it work differently now?