Dizzy
Pirate

Lik-Sang out of business

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.lik-sang.com/
Lik-Sang.com Out of Business due to Multiple Sony Lawsuits
Tue Oct 24 2006 21:58:51 Hong Kong Time - Corporate Info
OUT OF BUSINESS NOTICE
Hong Kong, October 24th of 2006 - Lik-Sang.com, the popular gaming retailer from Hong Kong, has today announced that it is forced to close down due to multiple legal actions brought against it by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Sony claimed that Lik-Sang infringed its trade marks, copyright and registered design rights by selling Sony PSP consoles from Asia to European customers, and have recently obtained a judgment in the High Court of London (England) rendering Lik-Sang's sales of PSP consoles unlawful.
As of today, Lik-Sang.com will not be in the position to accept any new orders and will cancel and refund all existing orders that have already been placed. Furthermore, Lik-Sang is working closely with banks and PayPal to refund any store credits held by the company, and the customer support department is taking care of any open transactions such as pending RMAs or repairs and shipping related matters. The staff of Lik-Sang will make sure that nobody will get hurt in the crossfire of this ordeal.
A Sony spokesperson declined to comment directly on the lawsuit against Lik-Sang, but recently went on to tell Gamesindustry.biz that "ultimately, we're trying to protect consumers from being sold hardware that does not conform to strict EU or UK consumer safety standards, due to voltage supply differences et cetera; is not - in PS3's case - backwards compatible with either PS1 or PS2 software; will not play European Blu-Ray movies or DVDs; and will not be covered by warranty".
Lik Sang strongly disagrees with Sony's opinion that their customers need this kind of protection and pointed out that PSP consoles shipped from Lik-Sang contained genuine Sony 100V-240V AC Adapters that carry CE and other safety marks and are compatible world wide. All PSP consoles were in conformity with all EU and UK consumer safety regulations.
Furthermore, Sony have failed to disclose to the London High Court that not only the world wide gaming community in more than 100 countries relied on Lik-Sang for their gaming needs, but also Sony Europe's very own top directors repeatedly got their Sony PSP hard or software imports in nicely packed Lik-Sang parcels with free Lik-Sang Mugs or Lik-Sang Badge Holders, starting just two days after Japan's official release, as early as 14th of December 2004 (more than nine months earlier than the legal action). The list of PSP related Sony Europe orders reads like the who's who of the videogames industry, and includes Ray Maguire (Managing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Alan Duncan (UK Marketing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Chris Sorrell (Creative Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Rob Parkin (Development Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited), just to name a few.
"Today is Sony Europe victory about PSP, tomorrow is Sony Europe’s ongoing pressure about PlayStation 3. With this precedent set, next week could already be the stage for complaints from Sony America about the same thing, or from other console manufacturers about other consoles to other regions, or even from any publisher about any specific software title to any country they don’t see fit. It’s the beginning of the end... of the World as we know it", stated Pascal Clarysse, formerly known as the Marketing Manager of Lik-Sang.com.
"Blame it on Sony. That's the latest dark spot in their shameful track record as gaming industry leader. The Empire finally 'won', few dominating retailers from the UK probably will rejoice the news, but everybody else in the gaming world lost something today."
Old 02 November 2006, 04:18   #2
jmmijo

Guess I was right about Sony being another Microsoft, greedy wankers
Old 02 November 2006, 06:29   #3
Ironclaw
Banned

Too bad, I bought several stuff from them and would have continued to do so... damn Sony.
Old 02 November 2006, 07:09   #4
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Good riddance. Their customer service sucks, and they literally stole $20 from me. I bought an old PS boot disk, soon after they became illegal and they stopped selling them but they wouldn't refund my money (or even give me store credit) because the other items on my order had shipped.

I used to spend $100+ a month there but after that fiasco (for even a small amount) I decided to look elsewhere for my import goods.
Old 02 November 2006, 08:18   #5
MrA600HD
In rust, we trust.

Haha, like Sony REALLY care what happens to their customers.

I have a PS2, a sony tv, minidisc player and a cassette deck, and whenever i've needed help with any of them, i've been made to feel like i was a bad smell that they'd wish would go away.

I just don't " get " the whole big corporate attitude, because ultimately its going to f*ck everything up.
Old 02 November 2006, 09:53   #6
shillard

Consumer positioning: "It's a Sony".

Trade positioning: "WE ARE SONY!"

As a former competitor (exec in another Jap CE firm), let me share a little industry in-joke.

"Sony is Japanese for arsehole". I think that one originated @ Canon.

That said, if you sign on as a distributor or Sony product, you should be expected to abide by the terms and conditions of your trading terms. Do otherwise and suffer the consequences.

Sony invest megabucks in brand and trade co-op advertising to SUPPORT businesses like Lik-Sang.com - only an idiot bites the hand that feeds it, and that's precisely what these idiot devils did.
Old 02 November 2006, 10:49   #7
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Ehh I don't care that much, I prefer Play-Asia....

Wait. What if Sony does the same to Play-Asia?

FUCK Sony.
Old 02 November 2006, 11:47   #8
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

This is crap. Granted I never bought anything from Lik-Sang but that's because I never had the money

This is shit news though.
Old 02 November 2006, 12:57   #9
DamienD
Banned

Damn, this is sad news...

I've bought quite a few adapters from Lik-Sang

I also agree with MrA600HD, for work we used to buy Sony Viao laptops. The support from Sony is atrocious, not to mention that getting replacement parts cost an arm and a leg
Old 02 November 2006, 13:06   #10
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Where are all of those $ony lovers now?

Now if they can just close all mod-chip retailers....

This really sucks...

Thanks God there is still Nintendo consoles that you can get at half of price for PS3.
Old 02 November 2006, 13:42   #11
blade002
Zone Friend

Its getting to the point where only 2 or 3 coporations will run the entire world. Maybe they already do ?

Gone are the days of healthy competition and the subsequent innovations.
Old 02 November 2006, 15:20   #12
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

i believe the saying goes...

with enough money...

everything can be bought.

court judegments, people, poloticians, governments, etc....

but dont lose heart in such a materalistic world as even revolutions can be funded by corperations... (not mentionnig SHELL here ..... nope not mentioning it at all....)
Old 02 November 2006, 17:38   #13
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo
Guess I was right about Sony being another Microsoft, greedy wankers
You'll hurt Ian and Dizzy's feelings.
Old 02 November 2006, 19:53   #14
rsn8887

All Sony products I ever had broke incredibly damn fast. The old PSX, damn I had three of those cause of the cd drives going bad all the time (stuttering movies etc.). And re-adjustment of the laser lens stopped helping after a while. Same problem with the ps2 - crappy drives.

Sony CRT TVs went blurry, lost contrast after a year, Sony cd-players skipping like hell after a year, Sony Walkmen used to break super easy. No thanks I am done with Sony. They have cheap prices, but they use ultra cheap crappy parts and they market their stuff as if it was high-end. But it just isn't. It's just cheap crap.

Also, my Sony DVD burner for PC had just miserable error-correction. The slightest hint of a scratch and it wouldn't read the disc. How can they sell this crap and keep their face?

My new DVD player is a Pioneer. And that thing rocks! Picture quality above all, and no skipping even with superbly scratched dvds. TV: I would get Panasonic.... no more Sony for me. My cheap "Symphony" Wal-Mart CRT TV has better picture than those Sony CRTs

And now this corporate lawyer bs.
Don't they have anything better to do?

Nintendo is my only hope. Nintendo nowadays seems to be more nice and seems to care more about consumers where Sony/Microsoft don't give a damn! Anyways, at least Nintendo stuff ain't breaking.

That's just my few cent on the topic, though.

Last edited by rsn8887; 02 November 2006 at 19:59.
Old 02 November 2006, 20:02   #15
keropi

I have a v9 ps2 , works excellent after 3 years, an old psx working great too, a Sony Multiscan200ES trinitron crt monitor which is by FAR the best I had, and also works great, a sony walkman for the past 12 years, a sony 8x cd-writer... IMHO sony makes quality stuff... all companies make not-so-good stuff sometimes...
Old 02 November 2006, 20:39   #16
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I have the same problem with DVD player (it is 6 years old now) but even 5 years ago it would not play slightly scratched DVDs. (do I have to tell that this thing costed $350.00 and plays only USA region??)

My Sony Camcorder broke after 2 years (had protection plan) and we were using it very little.

My PS2 works great, but PS1 skips a lot and freezes. After 10 years you can't except it to work flawleslly.

Was thinking about Sony TV, but most likely will get Samsung or Panasonic.

All of Soni stuff I got is made for USA? Same as rsn8887's. I remember SOny being one of best quality company in EU back in the days.
Old 02 November 2006, 21:52   #17
demoniac

Sony sucks. My Sony CD player doesn't even comply with the CDDA Red Book that they co-wrote. In Japan, they were never thought as good, but just average. FACT: the only reason why they are still in business is bz of their console.
Old 03 November 2006, 01:55   #18
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
yeah thanks $ony bunch of bastards!

I hope the ps3 flops and you swines go out of business!
i for one will never EVER buy anything with sony label on it ever again.

infact gonna chuck my psone (which i never use) out with the rubbish.

and 2ndly thanks for nicking lemmings for psp again you bunch of bastards!
Old 03 November 2006, 03:14   #19
shillard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek2k
yeah thanks $ony bunch of bastards!

I hope the ps3 flops and you swines go out of business!
i for one will never EVER buy anything with sony label on it ever again.

infact gonna chuck my psone (which i never use) out with the rubbish.

and 2ndly thanks for nicking lemmings for psp again you bunch of bastards!
Well, that's bound to put them out of business....
Old 03 November 2006, 19:16   #20
adolescent