English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 14 August 2015, 22:15   #1
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Problems with AfAOS & AmiStart with Picasso96

Hi:
I've got a problem with AmiStart and AfAOS when using Picasso. I use a Picasso IV Zorro III, but I've also just tried a Piccolo Zorro III 640x480 24bits screen with Picasso drivers and the problem is the same.

If I use uaegfx there is no problem with AfAOS and AmiStart (like AmiKit for PC uses).

I'm in contact with Bernd and Thomas Klein, and I've been suggested it could be a problem with the emulation.

This is the problem: http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/d9a6...be5f94c828.png

When I first started AmiStart it was showing the same problem in all of the bar, but using the Taskbar settings, Miscellaneus, "Buffered", then the corruption disappears of the bar but it keeps in the main icon and the menu as you see in the screenshot.

I don't think it's a problem of the emulation, but I want to ask also here.
I wonder why it works right with uaegfx. I also wonder if someone is using Picasso96 and AfAOS with AmiStart.

I've tried also with the newest Picasso96 drivers and both versions of MUI.

My thoughts? It can be a problem with the Picasso drivers or with AfAOS, but take into account:
-It works perfect with RTG without AfAOS with Picasso drivers.
-AfAOS&AmiStart work right with uaegfx. I believe to remember it works right also with CGX, 16bits.

I must say that the corruption only happens when you add icons to the menu, so it can be a problem with the AfAOS icon_lib.exe.

I also believe it could be fixed adding another "Buffered" option to AmiStart, so I've emailed D. Brewka, the author.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (84.6 KB, 132 views)
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (22.6 KB, 169 views)
File Type: uae AmiKit 8.5_950Mb A4000.uae (30.4 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by Retrofan; 15 August 2015 at 21:36.
Old 15 August 2015, 09:27   #2
bernd roesch

Have you test if it work with 24 bit icons ?. that it work without afa is because old AOS use this function not. This is the code AOS 3.5 icons are blit
It use this code to blit OS3.5 icons. maybe tony have idea wy this code work ok on uaegfx but fail on winuae picasso 4 or picollo z3. AFA is test on old amiga with cgx and P96, from Thomas Klein. in the past he know not such a problem. but he test when he have time on his old amiga, what happen here with your files

Code:
bm = AllocBitMap
                        (
                            nativeicon->icon35.width,
                            nativeicon->icon35.height,
                            GetBitMapAttr(rp->BitMap, BMA_DEPTH) , BMF_MINPLANES , rp->BitMap          //new
                        );

if (bm)
			{
		    	    struct RastPort bmrp;

InitRastPort(&bmrp);
			    bmrp.BitMap = bm;

WriteLUTPixelArray
                            (
                                img->imagedata,
                                0, 0,
                                &bmrp, cgfxcoltab,
                                0, 0,
                                CTABFMT_XRGB8
                            );

BltMaskBitMapRastPort
                            (
                                bm, 0, 0, rp, leftEdge, topEdge,
                                0xC0, img->mask
                            );
Old 15 August 2015, 09:37   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Did you use exact same color mode in uaegfx as in Piccolo and Picasso IV? ("Color modes" in GUI)

uaegfx default has always been little-endian (BGR) but most old Amiga boards use big-endian color components (RGB)
Old 15 August 2015, 15:24   #4
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

With the Picasso IV Zorro III I've tried 800x600 16 bits and 800x600 24bits BGR. I can use Truecolor or HiColor, it doesn't let to use TrueAlpha.

In AmiKit for PC (I can use the same monitor with my distro) it uses uae 16bits PC or 32bits BGRA.

I've used the original icon by Ken Lester of AmiKit PC and also I've tried converting it to 3.5 format. I've also tried copying the new image over the old image or also having only the old image.
Old 15 August 2015, 15:42   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Neither of those match PicassoIV modes. Configure uaegfx to use R5G6B5 and R8G8B8 to match Picasso IV modes. Picasso IV does not have 32bit mode.

(Until modes 100% match, there is no point to compare differences in output)
Old 15 August 2015, 16:33   #6
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Sorry I hadn't seen those options in the Gui.

But I can't use R8G8B8, it only offers (I mean similar) a R8G8B8A8.

Edit:

Edit: Yes, you can say that I'm not using the same OS. I will try now to create my version with uaegfx and change the color settings too.
Edit: Ok in my version I change the RTG settings to use UAE Zorro III and I add the uaegfx to monitors and I use it:

Last edited by Retrofan; 15 August 2015 at 17:20.
Old 15 August 2015, 17:56   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
But I can't use R8G8B8, it only offers (I mean similar) a R8G8B8A8.
Under 24-bit, not 32-bit. (32-bit support was rare in 1990s)
Old 15 August 2015, 19:13   #8
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I don't understand you well, sorry.

I've seen I hadn't changed the settings on my version with uae:

It is ok, isn't it? R5G6B5 and R8G8B8A8. Edit: Ah, ok, A8 is Alpha 8 for 32 bits.

If it is ok, what do you think the problem is?

Last edited by Retrofan; 16 August 2015 at 00:02.
Old 15 August 2015, 20:15   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I don't think I'll understand either anymore..

My point is to 100% match uaegfx and PicassoIV (and most other Amiga RTG board) resolution, bit depth and color component order. Only then it is allowed to compare differences

Picasso96 supports lots of formats but you can only have single mode active from each bit depth, thats why it is configurable in GUI.
Old 15 August 2015, 21:35   #10
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've posted a Picasso and a UAE with R5G6B5, R868B8AB, and I've got also a Picasso IV R5G6B5PC, B8G8R8A8 and this uae one with the same:

I don't have a 24bit screenmode with uae, only 32bit or 8 bit mode and I don't have a 32 bit mode with Picasso IV.

You also can try whatever config you like if you wish with AmiKit PC. AmiStart is independant of installation and I use the same program.
Old 15 August 2015, 23:03   #11
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Ok. Sorry as I don't know all of the options you have there. I've seen that the "24 bits" can be changed too to use R8G8B8.

And you were right, Toni:

So what should be changed in AfAOS? What's the difference in those modes? I guess it may be something with the icon_library.exe, but not a problem with the 3.5 icons as I don't need/use them for AmiStart, at least not with the main icon for the menu (and I've also tried with only that icon and no icons in the menu it opens).

Edit: Just to comment that this issue that I want to be fixed is meaning to me a lot of configs/settings/readings/drivers/tryings/installations/long emails and a lot of days/hours, but I have faith that it will be fixed .

Last edited by Retrofan; 16 August 2015 at 01:31.
Old 16 August 2015, 09:21   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Good, I was sure it was going to happen

Something, somewhere does not support 24-bit mode (possibly because it is the only mode with odd byte count or someone simply forgot to support it, anything is possible).

It can be anywhere, even in some system patch.
Old 16 August 2015, 11:20   #13
bernd roesch

does AROS with amistart work with picasso 4 68k ?
AFA use AROS code for writepixelarrayalpha. I have no own pixel convert code written in AFA. all is convert with AROS code. Is there a Problem with 24 bit in AROS and amistart know ?

but strange is, the icons on workbench are draw correct. they too use write pixelarrayalpha. strange that only amistart icons fail

@fernando. or do you use only in amistart 256 color icons ?

its also possible that this AROS function fail and create wrong true color data

WriteLUTPixelArray
(
img->imagedata,
0, 0,
&bmrp, cgfxcoltab,
0, 0,
CTABFMT_XRGB8
);

but all icons are draw with this.

Last edited by bernd roesch; 16 August 2015 at 11:26.
Old 16 August 2015, 11:30   #14
bernd roesch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I've posted a Picasso and a UAE with R5G6B5, R868B8AB, and I've got also a Picasso IV R5G6B5PC, B8G8R8A8 and this uae one with the same:

I don't have a 24bit screenmode with uae, only 32bit or 8 bit mode and I don't have a 32 bit mode with Picasso IV.

You also can try whatever config you like if you wish with AmiKit PC. AmiStart is independant of installation and I use the same program.
can you test if 16 bit in picasso 4 work ok ?
Old 16 August 2015, 11:37   #15
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

It happens the same:

8 bits:

16 bits:

To make this "fail" it is only necessary to assign an icon, the main one of the menu. It uses a Ken's one, but I've tried others with the same result.

Also remember that there is an option in AmiStart: "Taskbar Settings", "miscellaneus", "Buffered". Using that then the bar and the icons are ok there, but the corruption keeps in the main icon and in the menu with icons it opens.

Edit: And there is another thing: All of the gui with options for AmiStart looks wrong with AfAOS. The checkboards are out of place.

Last edited by Retrofan; 16 August 2015 at 13:05.
Old 16 August 2015, 12:07   #16
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Puf. All these tryings...for nothing.

It's a setup of AmiStart . I use different preferences for RTG or AfA and now I've seen it gives the same problems with RTG only without AfA.

Sorry guys and thanks for the help. I will try to find what option is causing this. It must be a problem of AmiStart, as it works right with uaegfx but not with Picasso (RTG or RTG+AfA).

Anyway I wonder why the settings that work fro me with RTG crash with AfA.

Last edited by Retrofan; 16 August 2015 at 13:12.
Old 16 August 2015, 14:01   #17
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I can start AmiStart with AfA without that corruption using the AmiStart program I use for RTG or AGA (older version of it) disabling all of the options but the main icon and the location of the sm.prefs (using my AGA prefs). But it seems to have the same problem I was having with the Start Menus of Magellan, it looks now like it is using the old icons images.

AfAOS should be fixed to stop using the old icon images. Anyway AmiStart v66 has a problem with Picasso screens, but that's another thing.

Last edited by Retrofan; 16 August 2015 at 16:28.
Old 16 August 2015, 17:43   #18
bernd roesch

maybe thomas can send you his amistart config that work on big endian system. your last screenshot look as amistart run really bad. maybe powericons still run ?.

the task bar is gone. do you use some other hacks fastblitter tlsfmem or such a thing ?. this you should all deactivate.
add in startup-seq stackattack addstack 20000. can find on aminet maybe it is a stack space problem in amistart or amistart icon.

and when you use amistart option buffered, you must reboot amiga to see if all work ok. because icons are load at start and are keep in memory
Old 16 August 2015, 18:46   #19
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

No, there is no use of power icons. Also I already use stackattack.

But I've got a lot of improvements using AmiStart V65 and starting tool by tool in the icon info (edit: I've seen that all of the tools do work):

I must see what happens with those icons that aren't there.

Edit: There are a lot of icons that just aren't shown, I don't know why. If I select the icon to be used in them (in fact that's already done in the settings), nothing changes, there is no icon shown.

Compare this screenshot with the one of my last post (post 17) where they were using the old image:

They aren't show because they don't have an old image to show. It's rare that the first menu is shown, though.

BTW this AmiStart version doesn't have the "Buffered" option the other has.

Last edited by Retrofan; 16 August 2015 at 19:39.
Old 16 August 2015, 19:28   #20
bernd roesch

amistart have some option. MAPPED is on by default. this mean icons are colormapped. thats bad. it is possible that you run out of pens. so mapped should disable. FASTSCALE LATELOAD are tooltypes you can check out. do you use in uaegfx always 16 or more megayte. less gfx mem can make problems.