English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 24 February 2023, 13:56   #1281
rutra80

I really wish AmigaOS3 gets so wonderfully squeezed in every department.
If it's not possible to do some trickery with physical ROM size limits, wouldn't it be viable to simply ship 2 or even 3 versions of AmigaOS:
1. As it is now: with modules being kicked out from ROM
2. For systems with enough RAM: with complete compressed ROM, decompressed and remapped to RAM on 1st bootstrap
And optionally 3. For virtual systems: with complete uncompressed ROM?

Last edited by rutra80; 24 February 2023 at 14:05.
Old 24 February 2023, 14:23   #1282
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honitos View Post
Thank you for this deep dive into some code areas of the OS, Olaf.
It was exciting to read!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelter View Post
^^^^^holy batmobile, Barthelman! That was the reply of the century.
Well done!
While seeing the page, before reading it, when I saw the size of the answer I thought : "Damn, someone did post again one of those chatGPT liturgy ..."
I am glad it's not . Thanks for this explanation post Olaf
Old 24 February 2023, 15:30   #1283
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
While seeing the page, before reading it, when I saw the size of the answer I thought : "Damn, someone did post again one of those chatGPT liturgy ..."
ChatGPT would have at least taken out the typos if you had asked it nicely

Quote:
I am glad it's not . Thanks for this explanation post Olaf
I believe somebody has to write about it, eventually.

There is very little by way of technical information on what exactly went into the 3.1.4 and 3.2 releases.

In retrospect, it may be hard to believe how much work it all was, especially the work which Thomas shouldered
Old 24 February 2023, 16:39   #1284
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

If you and/or Thomas wrote a book about AmigaOS internals, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 24 February 2023, 18:53   #1285
tygre
Returning fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
If you and/or Thomas wrote a book about AmigaOS internals, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
+1
Old 25 February 2023, 06:49   #1286
prometeo

Thanks Olaf for the answer.
Having translated a lots of Amiga programs at the time, I love the part about the locale.library improvements!
And yes, I'd love to buy a book full of this infos!
Giacomo.
Old 25 February 2023, 08:34   #1287
jostberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygre View Post
+1
+1
Old 25 February 2023, 09:23   #1288
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
I for one would really like Ralph Babel to give it another try to publish and sell the revised "Amiga Guru Book" which he eventually decided to shelve. At the time, the plan was to sell it as a real, physical book on printed paper. Perhaps enough time has passed since then to change the preconditions under which publication would make sense again.

These days it seems that books on technical niche subjects ("The Art of Computer Programming 4B" excluded) start as blogs. I don't have a blog and the AmigaOS developer blog has not been updated much in the recent past (why? we are focused on writing or fixing code instead). We'll see

In the mean time, I am trying hard (and not making as much progress as I wish I could) to update the NDK header files as well as the AutoDocs.

This may not sound like a big thing, but what was learned from fixing old and new bugs had to go somewhere in order to be useful and not to be forgotten. Read the graphics.library/BltBitMap documentation and compare to what came before; dos.library also got a brush-up with new and old errors documented, as well as old undocumented features covered. We also spell-checked the dos.library AutoDocs for the first time ever And that is the tip of the tip of the iceberg.
Old 27 February 2023, 00:29   #1289
shaf

I agree an attempt at revising the "Amiga Guru Book" would be a boon to every developer, with Amazon's publishing scheme it shouldn't be too hard to distribute an electronic format. since that could be read from most Tablets, ebook readers the production cost would not be that significant. I would gladly pay $10 to $20 for it.
Old 27 February 2023, 02:15   #1290
DisasterIncarna

Quick question/request, we already have the ".backdrop" file for leaving files out to the desktop, is there any chance of gaining support for the linux style ".hidden" file, so we can add files to this to have them hidden away from view.

Quickest example of why would be the ramdisk, and having "show all files" enabled, this is often where we dump loads of temporary files, and tend to delete loads of files as well, far too many times i have ended up deleting a load of junk, and accidentally burned my T/Env/Clipboard folders as well, being able to add them to a linux style ".hidden" file would be a nice quality of life addition that hopefully? wouldnt require tons of work? or maybe would?
Old 27 February 2023, 02:19   #1291
Pyromania

New Guru Book would be awesome!
Old 27 February 2023, 11:12   #1292
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
is there any chance of gaining support for the linux style ".hidden" file, so we can add files to this to have them hidden away from view.
I guess that may break something or lead to unwilling behaviour. For directories it would hide ".deldir" and ".recycled" of PFS and SFS.
Quote:
accidentally burned my T/Env/Clipboard folders as well,
There exists several tools/scripts that clean the RamDisk leaving T, ENV and Clipboards intact.
Old 27 February 2023, 16:51   #1293
Pyromania

For AmigaOS 3.3 will there be AMMX and 080 optimizations?
Old 27 February 2023, 17:41   #1294
klx300r

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
For AmigaOS 3.3 will there be AMMX and 080 optimizations?
080, AMMX
Old 27 February 2023, 17:42   #1295
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I guess that may break something or lead to unwilling behaviour. For directories it would hide ".deldir" and ".recycled" of PFS and SFS.

There exists several tools/scripts that clean the RamDisk leaving T, ENV and Clipboards intact.

yeah ive had similar issues where i "hid" some files thinking it wouldnt matter, but then found it most certainly did, tbh i was thinking of the "hidden" files mostly stopping an icon appearing on workbench rather than on shell/file operations, so maybe "hidden" is the wrong word, more like "never show an icon".
Old 27 February 2023, 19:31   #1296
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Quick question/request, we already have the ".backdrop" file for leaving files out to the desktop, is there any chance of gaining support for the linux style ".hidden" file, so we can add files to this to have them hidden away from view. [...]
Hidden attribute was planned with 1.3 but never implemented. Almost all AOS books from BitD mention it. Here is an example :
https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php...63#post1237363.
Old 27 February 2023, 22:48   #1297
Daedalus

Quote:
Quick question/request, we already have the ".backdrop" file for leaving files out to the desktop, is there any chance of gaining support for the linux style ".hidden" file, so we can add files to this to have them hidden away from view.

Quickest example of why would be the ramdisk, and having "show all files" enabled, this is often where we dump loads of temporary files, and tend to delete loads of files as well, far too many times i have ended up deleting a load of junk, and accidentally burned my T/Env/Clipboard folders as well, being able to add them to a linux style ".hidden" file would be a nice quality of life addition that hopefully? wouldnt require tons of work? or maybe would?
The "Show only icons" option is kinda the Amiga equivalent. Maybe what you could do is not use the root of RAM: as a temp area and use T: (usually mapped to RAM:t) as a temp area instead? T: is intended for temporary files so you shouldn't cause any issue by deleting everything in there. You could give it an icon in the User-startup so it's always visible when you open RAM, and leave it out permanently on Workbench in a similar fashion.
Old 28 February 2023, 01:48   #1298
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The "Show only icons" option is kinda the Amiga equivalent. Maybe what you could do is not use the root of RAM: as a temp area and use T: (usually mapped to RAM:t) as a temp area instead? T: is intended for temporary files so you shouldn't cause any issue by deleting everything in there. You could give it an icon in the User-startup so it's always visible when you open RAM, and leave it out permanently on Workbench in a similar fashion.

I probably should yeah, a left out "Trashcan" if you will.
Old 28 February 2023, 01:51   #1299
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Hidden attribute was planned with 1.3 but never implemented. Almost all AOS books from BitD mention it. Here is an example :

i know the "H" attribute is not "Hidden" but there is a tool on aminet that tries to fudge it to amount to hiding files, but i think when i last tried it, it did work but only for shell and not workbench... i think.

Aminet Hide Thingy: https://aminet.net/package/util/boot/HEn

Also wasnt sure what messing with the "H" attribute to do what its not meant to do would actually do to a stable system.
Old 28 February 2023, 07:36   #1300
Jope
-

Quote:
Hold or Hidden? ;-)

Apparently a bit of both. Up to 1.3 it seems it was intended to be Hidden (although not mentioned in any manuals written by Commodore), then they changed it to Hold for V36 (OS2.0), but didn't implement it until V39 (OS3.0), but it went away for V40 (OS3.1). Then it took until V45 (OS3.9) for it to come back.

If a tool has Hold and Pure set, it will be loaded resident on the first time it is started.