English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL news

Old 01 March 2005, 01:05   #21
oldpx

Suggesting improvements is not bad talking. I think sprites should be chosen with some sort of purpose, like displaying the main character, common enemies, an important end boss etc. As an example, the sprites chosen for pirates is ok but in some others like swos, the placed image isn't a sprite at all, nearly a screenshot and some other ones like cannon fodder don't have a point. Additionally, the placement completely ruins the layout of hol. You can just add bits to a finished and working design like this, you screw it up. Hol has a great navigation and expandable tab system, you guys designed it to add data but now you're challenging your own solution with an alternative and lowly way of displaying data.

Last edited by oldpx; 01 March 2005 at 01:18.

Old 01 March 2005, 01:47   #22
Ironclaw
Banned

Sprites should NOT be animated. They should be displayed in sprite sheets!

Then if someone wants to use them, THAT person can animate them. I work with spritrs alot, coding games and make game parody movies. KEEP em as sprite sheets only.
Old 01 March 2005, 03:23   #23
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Sprite sheets ?! .. wtf ... go totally hardcore and display them as data statements for ppl to type in!

10 Data 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0 ;
20 Data 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0 ;
etc ...

Ahhh the good ol days ...
Old 01 March 2005, 04:55   #24
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallaxScroll
Hol has a great navigation and expandable tab system, you guys designed it to add data but now you're challenging your own solution with an alternative and lowly way of displaying data.
Agreed. This is basic design theory we're talking here.
When I saw the new-look HOL2 I was tremendously pleased. At last ll the info in the HOL was beautifully displayed and ordered. To me this is just a small step in the wrong direction.
Old 01 March 2005, 10:05   #25
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

The first thing I should say is that this new feature has no real practical value - it isn't there to be informative. In fact, it could probably be nominated for 'least practical HOL feature ever'. If sprites were to be properly included then they'd be in the Misc tab or somewhere else and as sprite sheets.

It is, however, intended to be fun, to capture something of the game in a 150x40 image and to add a little character (in more ways than one) to each entry. The responses will (quite naturally) be either; (a) it's completely pointless, (b) it's cool, or (c) sorry, Cody, but I've got to go as I'm due back on planet Earth.

'Sprite feature' may also be a misleading label as it can show more than just sprites. But with lots of sprites being ripped recently and because sprites tend to be one of the central and memorable bits of a game they might be used most often.

The idea is also that a variety of different things can be done:

- A likely scene from the game, patched together from separate elements e.g. SWOS, Rod Land, Rainbow Islands, Turrican II
- A reference to a historical scene that the game is based on, using bits from the game e.g. Rorke's Drift
- A section of a screenshot from the game because it's amusing e.g. Crazy Seasons
- A pretentious reference to the three stages in the life of a soldier; the conscription line (with a guy one pixel out of line), the soldiering and death e.g. Cannon Fodder
- and so on

So the challenge is to be as inventive as possible within the constraints of the image whilst still capturing the essence of the game.
Old 01 March 2005, 11:17   #26
oldpx

In short, this fucks hol up and doesn't add anything valuable but it will be added nevertheless because you want it for the hell of it. Good.

Old 01 March 2005, 13:03   #27
mr_0rga5m

Now bearing in mind i'm for the sprite feature (of sorts) ... The Canonn Fodder 'sprites' (blobs) look abs. wank.

They do spoil the look of the page, it looks like the browser rendered wrong.

It may be coz their so small on my 1600x res but i dunno. Either way like ParallaxScroll mentioned they should be 'on a tab'.
Old 01 March 2005, 13:20   #28
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

(a) it's completely pointless,
(b) it's cool,
(c) sorry, Cody, but I've got to go as I'm due back on planet Earth.

All three options for me Cody, but then what would I know I am just a HOL user.
Old 01 March 2005, 13:23   #29
mr_0rga5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson
(a) it's completely pointless,
(b) it's cool,
(c) sorry, Cody, but I've got to go as I'm due back on planet Earth.

All three options for me Cody, but then what would I know I am just a HOL Luser.
Old 01 March 2005, 14:19   #30
oldpx

When you do something good, and the customer asks for some little addition that'll completely spoil the whole (but he won't realize the importance because it's "little"), I go nuts, tell once then let him do so because he's paying and he can have what he wants. The difference is, this time I'm not dropping a sweat, no one is paying so I don't have to hold myself back.

Old 01 March 2005, 14:47   #31
BippyM
Global Moderator

Sprites/Tiles should have their own tab, this keeps with the style of HOL!!
Old 01 March 2005, 14:51   #32
mr_0rga5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallaxScroll
When you do something good, and the customer asks for some little addition that'll completely spoil the whole (but he won't realize the importance because it's "little"), I go nuts, tell once then let him do so because he's paying and he can have what he wants. The difference is, this time I'm not dropping a sweat, no one is paying so I don't have to hold myself back.
*wut?* (there ya go THB)

was that in 'Engrish' ParallaxScroll ?

I understand no because what you said make sense did not eh.

Last edited by mr_0rga5m; 01 March 2005 at 14:59.
Old 01 March 2005, 15:18   #33
oldpx

I don't see anything difficult there, considering that foreign guys like I can understand native english speakers that post complete junk now and then. Maybe I could have expanded my subject by adding that I'm a multimedia/graphic designer and do this kind of stuff for a living but everyone knows that. I was comparing Cody with average customers and their "brilliant ideas". I refuse to define this any further because despite my good intention, I'm almost sure some dumbass will personally target me next.

Old 01 March 2005, 15:21   #34
mr_0rga5m

*sowwy* .. Just ribbing ya.

Your English is a 1000 times better than my Turkish(?) ...

(THB made me do it btw) :P
Old 01 March 2005, 15:24   #35
oldpx

I had none doubt mate and never I doubted any. Let's kick lovely engrish butt THB like we do such fuckin action. Eab will have it's rockin' percent of discriminating excramating lame arsed persons as every usual time.

Old 01 March 2005, 15:28   #36
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_0rga5m
*sowwy* .. Just ribbing ya.

Your English is a 1000 times better than my Turkish(?) ...

(THB made me do it btw) :P
hehe blame it on the HOL Luser :P
Old 01 March 2005, 15:33   #37
oldpx

@THB:
Ok, this is the second time you're doing this so there must be something in your mind about me and we better address this problem in public. I'm ready for an official peace declaration.

Old 01 March 2005, 15:38   #38
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Second time i am doing what?
Old 01 March 2005, 15:59   #39
oldpx

Ok I'm nice enough to ask for peace even after your unprovoked insults and you're still trying to fool people. I gave you a chance to act like a man.

This is your first insult:
Quote:
[wtf? ENGLISH amiga board! Hello! make more sense you twat.]
I am trying to take this second one lightly and now asking you to end your hostility for good. You can't go on playing this away from the public eye.

Old 01 March 2005, 16:06   #40
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett
It is, however, intended to be fun, to capture something of the game in a 150x40 image and to add a little character (in more ways than one) to each entry.
If I only thought it was pointless, I wouldn't care. But since this pointless idea makes a direct impact on how the HOL looked, then I have to strongly disagree against it.

Besides, I think there needs to be more effort in data than spending time updating entries with this pointless "feature", therefore this also makes an impact in efficiency of data entry/correcting/etc.

Seems to me you are pretty reluctanct to change its location or make it go away anyway.