English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 24 May 2006, 23:27   #1
wilgaa

Lightbulb Amiga 1000

Hi! I'm new here, and am wondering if it is worth receiving an Amiga 1000 from a person in Florida. Here is the E-mail:

"Hi, I'd be happy to ship it to you! I just want to make sure you want it. Here's some pictures of it. There are two things to note about the unit. While it runs fine, the internal floppy drive doesn't eject well, and needs a little manual help for the disk to come out. Also, the keyboard's esc button is missing --though the button itself works. Plus, I have misplaced the cable that connects the keyboard to the unit. It should be around here somewhere and I'll ltry to find it before I send it, but it may need replacing. So the system works, but it does need a little TLC. Oh, I'll also send you all the books and disks I have that go with it--including the original manual (They don't make manuals like that anymore!) I checked out shipping. It looks like it'll be better to ship two boxes, one for the monitor and the other for the unit and the rest. It'll cost about $30 to ship. Let me know if you're still interested. Thanks, Trans"

I originally was going to post this on amiga.org, but I could not find a link to post it at all. The question basically is: Is it worth it? This message contains the first two images, and the next post contains the third image. This is due to space restrictions. Go figure. The quota should be increased to 1.5 megabytes.

Edit: Oops, I can't seem to post it...it STILL says quota exceeded for attachment. However, The third image doesn't matter much, because it's just a side shot of the chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	444.1 KB
ID:	11142   Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	11143  

Last edited by Paul; 25 May 2006 at 11:12.

Old 25 May 2006, 04:50   #2
Widriksen

I would say yes.

The missing cable can, in worse case, be replaced, or even made by yourself.

The missing key? No problem. The eject thing is a thing i've seen before. No big deal, but may in the long run be a sign of wear down.

But to own an original AMIGA 1000? Yeah....It's worth the shipment, if that is all you are paying for it.??
Old 25 May 2006, 09:34   #3
keropi

I am a bit skeptical... if it only for 30$ go for it... but who knows what else u need to purchase after.... and for a 1000... it is great for a collector but for any actual amiga work it is not sufficient... unless u have another one too
Old 25 May 2006, 11:18   #4
Paul
RIP Friends

@wilgaa
I've removed the two email address from your post to stop any spam problems from e.g. search engine bots. I've also moved your thread to MarketPlace
Old 25 May 2006, 11:27   #5
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

For OCS gaming it is perfect. The keyboard cable is just a standard telephone handset cable.

GOOOOO FOR IT!!
Old 25 May 2006, 17:08   #6
wilgaa

Re:

@Widriksen

Ok, so it's a good 'ol standard rj11 cable, correct?

Assuming the above, I have one question:

Will the RF frequencies used by the keyboard interfere
with anything?
I'm asking because I recently ordered BellSouth FastAccess DSL, and am now wating for the self-install kit, which should arrive by the 30th. If it does interfere, would the solution (since I have a splitter) be to put a line filter on each end of the RJ11/keyboard cable and (if necessary) use gender changers to make it work?

@keropi

I understand what you're getting at. However, do you realize that compared to the stream of (usually) ho-hum applications for the the PC, the overall quality of software that was* released for the Amiga was** more than likely of higher quality than than Winblow$ software of recent years?

I would say that it would take at least five years (or more) for the same amount of quality software (at a fair price) in totallity to equal that of what was released for the Amiga. This figure disregards the 'jmp' tricks that were used back in the day to bypass simple copy protection schemes. Perhaps the same techniques are still used, though I am not sure.

Old 25 May 2006, 17:59   #7
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Hmmm 256kb to 512kb Ram wont get you very far......even if the software is good...
Old 25 May 2006, 18:26   #8
keropi

I don't want to be flamed or anything, but by todays standards, amiga software is laughable... u wanna surf the web? no browser.... wanna make a descent document? buy the 150e papyrus office and print it where? with what drivers? via parallel? usb? u want to scan something? what scanner? driver? app?
I really like amiga, that's why I spent so much to build my 1200T, but I am also realistic and live in the present... I do not want to compromise. Also the DSL will be a waste on the amiga...
Old 25 May 2006, 18:48   #9
wilgaa

Re: Amiga 1000

@ keropi

DSL might be useless for most things, but it might be possible to:

1. Find an archive of amiga iso's (software archives) on the internet.

2. Conenct a serial cable from the PC to the Amiga

3. Mount the iso over the serial link.

After all, couldn't the possibilites include:

a) A serial link would be faster than the Amiga's floppy drive, right?

b) Or, with the right Zorro NIC, I could turn it into a web server, right? After all, coupled with its lightweight OS (especially compared to today's trash (bloatware), it would probably perform better than one would expect from machine of its class, given its vintage and versatility (at least at its introduction).

Old 25 May 2006, 18:51   #10
keropi

nope.... serial on a 68000 will take too much cpu time to be fast... see the AMIGA EXPLORER docs for detailed answer... u need a 030+ for descent serial transfers... ~12-15kb/sec lol
Old 26 May 2006, 06:22   #11
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilgaa
Ok, so it's a good 'ol standard rj11 cable, correct?
RJ-11 is the telephone line cable, but what we need here is a handset cable, RJ-10.

One of those that connects between the telephone unit itself and the handset.

It would be nice to know which telephone manufacturer C= bought the cables from, then we'd have a supply of "original" cables. :-)
Old 26 May 2006, 14:49   #12
kriz

The A1000 is IMHO just a retro machine now ... You could just aswell spend some more money and get a A1200/A4000 you can actually use and enjoy abit easier..
Old 26 May 2006, 14:55   #13
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz
The A1000 is IMHO just a retro machine now ... You could just aswell spend some more money and get a A1200/A4000 you can actually use and enjoy abit easier..
Says the guy from Norway...

If you do decide to get an A4000 or 1200 prepare to spend "a lot of money" just to get OCS games working.

A1000+serial cable+bunch of disks = crap load of games you can play
Old 26 May 2006, 15:27   #14
snarkhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson
...If you do decide to get an A4000 or 1200 prepare to spend "a lot of money" just to get OCS games working...
I'm afraid I just can't understand this statement...
In 1993, I upgraded from my A500 to an A4040. I do agree that some OCS games would not work any longer. But neither would some AGA games written for the A1200 ! Still, thanks to the few options from the A40x0's boot menu, many "tricky" games would run. At least most of those I was interested in !

Some others would require "KillAGA" or any such utility program.

Kind regards,
sh
Old 26 May 2006, 16:20   #15
keropi

whdload is cheap enough to play old games... who bothers with disks nowdays???
Old 27 May 2006, 00:50   #16
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkhunter
I'm afraid I just can't understand this statement...
In 1993, I upgraded from my A500 to an A4040. I do agree that some OCS games would not work any longer. But neither would some AGA games written for the A1200 ! Still, thanks to the few options from the A40x0's boot menu, many "tricky" games would run. At least most of those I was interested in !

Some others would require "KillAGA" or any such utility program.

Kind regards,
sh
Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
whdload is cheap enough to play old games... who bothers with disks nowdays???
The point is outside of Europe an upgraded AGA machine is not cheap. The original poster is in the US.