English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 28 July 2022, 16:39   #1
Stardust

Multiple ASSIGN's to merge directories under one drive

I have a 8GB compact flash card with Workbench 3.1 on it. It is split into two 4GB partitions. Because all the WHDLoad games are around 5.2GB I have to split them between the two drives. So games A to K are in DHO:WHDLOAD/Games and games L to Z are in DH1:WHDLOAD/Games

I want to use two ASSIGN commands two merge two directories under one drive word.

In s:startup-sequence I have the two commands:
ASSIGN >NIL: A-Games: DH0:WHDLOAD/GAMES
ASSIGN >NIL: A-Games: DH1:WHDLOAD/GAMES ADD

But this does not give A-Games: that has games sub directories A to Z.
Old 28 July 2022, 17:17   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I'm not sure, but I don't think you'll be able to access 'A-Games' as if it was the two directories merged. From the ASSIGN documentation:
Quote:
You can assign one logical device name to several directories by specifying each directory after the <name> argument or by using the ADD or APPEND option. When the APPEND option is specified, any existing directory assigned to <name> is not cancelled. Instead, the newly specified directory is appended to the end of the assign list and the system will search for both directories when <name> is encountered. If the first directory is not available, ASSIGN will be satisfied with the newly added directory.
Old 28 July 2022, 19:23   #3
DisasterIncarna

they wont appear as 1 whole, they should however still function as if they were when you scan all your games via A-Games: when iGame searches A-Games, it will search the contents of the first assign then move unknowingly onto the contents of the second.

But when you yourself access the assign via workbench, it wont appear as 2 parts merged, only the first assign will show its contents.

Included 2 pictures, 1 showing 2 folders assigned together but only the first will show anything if you use something like "OpenWin TEST:" then directory 1 appears, but not the 2nd.

The other picture shows the result of my CPU-Assigns command, which re-jigs C/L/Libs/Devs so they have CPU/FPU specific assigns/folders created, it just means the assigns are set/added in a way that makes the system unintentionally find a matching library specific to the right CPU or lower because of the way ASSIGN ADD works down its list of entries.

So um, nope you cant make them "visually" merge, but an IGame scan will correctly search both of your split games folders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cpu-assigns.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	76143   Click image for larger version

Name:	MultiAssign.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	76144  
Old 28 July 2022, 19:41   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
So um, nope you cant make them "visually" merge, but an IGame scan will correctly search both of your split games folders.
Thank you for confirming it I didn't have the time to test it today, but I remembered that I tried something similar and it didn't work like that.
Old 28 July 2022, 19:55   #5
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Thank you for confirming it I didn't have the time to test it today, but I remembered that I tried something similar and it didn't work like that.
its 1 of those clever "hack" ideas that would have been attempted en-mass "back in the day" when we still had heaps of very clever people drowning aminet in hacky goodness.
Old 28 July 2022, 20:04   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
its 1 of those clever "hack" ideas that would have been attempted en-mass "back in the day" when we still had heaps of very clever people drowning aminet in hacky goodness.
Aww, can't we just book it under great minds think alike?
Old 28 July 2022, 20:15   #7
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Aww, can't we just book it under great minds think alike?
Old 28 July 2022, 22:53   #8
Stardust

Your right in practice DH1:WHDLOAD/GAMES is merged with DH0:/WHDLOAD/GAMES both as A-GAMES: Even though dir on the command line wont show it. AGLaunch can load any WHDLoad game