English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 February 2002, 00:32   #1
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

Question 2 computers on one internet connection

(I might be going off topic here )
@ jmmijo - if I want to hook up my son's computer to share my connection what do I need? I have an ethernet card connected to my cable company's set-top box (TV). I have Windows ME his machine has Windows 98 - what extra hardware do I need?
Old 24 February 2002, 01:04   #2
jmmijo

The easiest way is to get a Home DSL/Cable Router with Gateway. These usually come with a built in 4 - 8 port hub/switch for multiple machines and because it has the built-in gateway you can easily setup what is called a NAT server. This will take the single IP address and allow multiple machines to connect via this gateway and hub/swithc arrangment. Since you would have more then two ports available, you would then have room for expansion. Check out the ones from Dlink and Linksys:

http://www.linksys.com/splash2.asp
http://www.dlink.com/products/DigitalHome/CableDsl/

As for other solutions, well they invlovle using Windows built-in Internet Connection Sharing module. This will require another NIC in the gateway machine and some software configuration as well. I tell you Windows XP excells in this, the wizard for it is really simple to use, pretty much anyone can use it.

There are also a number of shareware/commercial software products that do this as well, like Sygate. Again they require another NIC in the gateway machine.
Old 24 February 2002, 02:29   #3
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
2 computers on 1 Internet Connection

I have a 512 cable connection through my set top box and share my connection with my GF I did it cheap all I did was buy 3 ethernet cards 1 for the set-top box and 1 for the computers to be networked.

Then I installed my windows and just set it up for uinternet sharing.

cost me £24 for cables and cards

if you need any info on this you can e-mail me I would be more than happy to help
Old 24 February 2002, 02:55   #4
jmmijo

Yep that works too, I think however it's more secure if you use an external Gateway/Router. Also nice is that Linksys offers one with Wireless connections too. Nice for users with Laptops as well
Old 24 February 2002, 03:43   #5
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

Thumbs up thanks

Thanks guys you've given me something to think about!
I like your solution Jmmijo it looks very comprehensive ... on the other hand cpc464 yours looks very economical! Did you have to open the set top box? I'm not sure NTL would be very happy about that
Old 24 February 2002, 06:46   #6
jmmijo

In either solution, you should not have to open any kind of box, set top or otherwise. Remember that both solutions will use CAT5 Ethernet cables to connect all the machines together. It's just much easier working with Hubs/Switches in that you also have room for expansion, maybe you'll setup some LAN gaming sometime. Nothing like palying CTF of your favorite First Person Shooter
Old 24 February 2002, 12:59   #7
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
Set-top box

I used the ethernet card way as a hub was a bit more expensive

As for the set-top box you DO NOT have to open it there is an Ethernet cable port at the back, BUT!!!! according to NTL each box is different, so under the ethernet port is a number if you phone NTL and tell them that number they will tell you what kind of cable you need.

Hope this helps
Old 25 February 2002, 19:54   #8
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

Hub question

I have a hub/repeater - it is a CentreCom MR815T, it says on it IEEE 802.3 10Base-T 8 Port Micro Hub/Repeater. It has 7 ports marked 1x ... 7x and the last port has a little line joining it to a switch that says MDI to hub in one position and MDI-X to PC in the other.

Can I use this - I have no software for it (I don't even know if I need any )

If I can, what plugs into where? Obviously I will need another NIC for my son's machine...

Also the cable from the set top box to my machine is a straight cable, a shop I spoke to today said I would need a crossover cable for the other machine. Are they correct and what is the difference (how are they marked/identified).
Old 04 March 2002, 04:45   #9
APFelon
Cable Buyer

It sounds as if you are going to try to use the hub as a makeshift router. Unless things are different in the U.K., this won't work. Let me try to articulate why.

Most cable modem providers assume you will only be using one computer for the cable, otherwise they would probably make you pay for another connect. So what they do is they take your NIC card's unique identifier (Every NIC card in every country around the world has a unique code... Kind of like a serial number) and log it on their servers. This prevents spoofing, but it also prevents you from hooking up your son's computer via a hub. When that computer asks for access, the request will be ignored by your cable's server because it is only taking requests from the NIC card in YOU PC, not your son's. Thus, your original computer will work fine on the hub to the cable server, but your son's won't. (His computer will be able to access YOUR computer, though. Nice, but not a solution.)

The only problem with CPC's solution is that you have to cram another NIC card into your PC. If you have room for it, great. The other problem is that the PC with two cards in it will most likely take a performance hit while your son surfs or plays online games (If he is into that). This is the way I had two PCs hooked to the net for awhile, but the performance issue is what me look into a router.

The best solution is a router. I had my doubts when I plopped down 80USD for my D-Link router. If fact, when I got it home, I spent 4 hours trying to get the thing up and running. (I have an adversion for users manuals. Personal failing). What my router did (And this was my problem) was in fact spoof the NIC card ID, tricking the cable company's server into thinking it was communicating with my one NIC card on my one computer. Both computers run great, both have a fast connect, and I can have friends over for online gaming sessions. Win-win-win situation.

Good luck in whatever direction you decide to go.