English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 December 2021, 19:53   #1
AmigaCD32

Floppy disk Looking for a magazine with a certain cover disk.

I remember back in the day (at least I think I do) a certain Amiga magazine with the cover disk of the full game Star Wars on it.

Anyone know what issue and what magazine that was?
Old 28 December 2021, 20:14   #2
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

This Star Wars?
Old 28 December 2021, 20:23   #3
qupe

Yeah Stampede (became Rampage) Issue 2 is what you're looking for....
Old 28 December 2021, 20:27   #4
AmigaCD32

Thats it ... thank you
Old 29 December 2021, 17:34   #5
Bruce Abbott

Star Wars - The first and only Amiga game that I cracked (badly). It was one of the few games that I played a lot at the arcade, and I loved the Amiga version too.

I bought the game from a local dealer, and only cracked it for my own personal use (like I used to do with Amstrad CPC tapes). However one of my 'friends' must have made a copy while I wasn't watching during one of our gaming sessions, because the next time I visited the dealer he accused me of distributing pirated copies. How did he know? Because he was the only dealer in the area and I was the only customer who bought the game! (I put a message "Broken by Batty" in the crack so it wasn't hard to guess who did it). This was super embarrassing and strained our relationship. The only saving grace was that my crack wasn't perfect (the graphics got corrupted in higher levels) so was more like an unofficial demo.

After that incident I swore off cracking and avoided all pirated software (which was a good idea anyway because they were often riddled with viruses). Cover disks and original games only for me!
Old 29 December 2021, 20:16   #6
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Star Wars - The first and only Amiga game that I cracked (badly). It was one of the few games that I played a lot at the arcade, and I loved the Amiga version too.

I bought the game from a local dealer, and only cracked it for my own personal use (like I used to do with Amstrad CPC tapes). However one of my 'friends' must have made a copy while I wasn't watching during one of our gaming sessions, because the next time I visited the dealer he accused me of distributing pirated copies. How did he know? Because he was the only dealer in the area and I was the only customer who bought the game! (I put a message "Broken by Batty" in the crack so it wasn't hard to guess who did it). This was super embarrassing and strained our relationship. The only saving grace was that my crack wasn't perfect (the graphics got corrupted in higher levels) so was more like an unofficial demo.

After that incident I swore off cracking and avoided all pirated software (which was a good idea anyway because they were often riddled with viruses). Cover disks and original games only for me!
Yeah, we made a point of undoing all our hard work just to screw with people, I'm surprised anyone copied any cracks the virus "problem" was so bad!!
Old 29 December 2021, 22:55   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

There is no reason to take that personally. It wouldn't be the people who develop the crack that distribute viruses, that will happen further down the line as it gets spread from person to person.
Old 29 December 2021, 23:27   #8
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
There is no reason to take that personally. It wouldn't be the people who develop the crack that distribute viruses, that will happen further down the line as it gets spread from person to person.
Dude, majority of Amiga games didn't have AmigaDOS as their filesystem, i.e. if a virus attacked it would render the game non-bootable.

Virtually none of these "virus infested" disks would work, i.e. the "problem" is rather overly inflated.