English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 February 2011, 01:37   #1
GurjSagoo

cd rom drive for the amiga 1200

like the title says people. how to i attach 1. or which 1 do i buy. do i have to get the 1 that was designed for the amiga or can i buy a OMP 1 and connect it

also how do i connect it

thanks people
Old 13 February 2011, 01:56   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi!

You could get a Squirrel SCSI device and then use an external SCSI drive, you'll need one with a 50pin Centronics connector and you will need to terminate the passthrough connector on the drive.

There are other options such as a 4way IDE device and mounting an IDE drive either internally (if you're good with a dremmel) or externally with the cable passed through a gap in the case, obviously this is not the tidiest option and you'd have to find a way to power the drive like a splitter off the Floppy connector.

Another option is an accelerator card with a SCSI kit and again use an external SCSI drive. The Blizzard 12xx cards have SCSI kits available which use a 25pin db SCSI connector and you can get a 25pin db-50pin centronics cable to connect to the external drive.

If you just want a CD Drive to transfer files there are easier options such as Compact Flash PCMCIA adapters.

Steve.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 13 February 2011 at 02:03. Reason: typo
Old 13 February 2011, 02:01   #3
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Amiga uses IDE protocol so you can connect whatever IDE drive or CD-ROM you want.
The only bad thing is that native IDE 44pin header on the mobo isn't buffered, so long 3-way cabling (for HD+CD-ROM) isn't such a good solution.
Finding an buffered IDE interface is a viable solution giving you the option to insert 4xIDE devices (Primary Master/Slave, Secondary Master/Slave).

Ofc putting a CD-ROM is easily doable by mounting an IDE ribbon outside the Amiga, or putting a slim IDE CD-ROM inside the Amiga as many users here done.

The easiest solution though... is getting a second hand PCMCIA Squirrel SCSI interface and putting an SCSI2 CD-ROM to it.
Old 13 February 2011, 09:52   #4
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi mate if you need any help im only in sheldon and i could give a hand with any thing amiga. give us a pm