English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 June 2010, 19:55   #1
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Competition pro usb stick?

I was thinking about picking up a competion pro usb stick for using on winuae for that authentic omeba experience.

There seems to be a couple variations out there and was wondering if the only difference being the colour and the games its bundled with (c64, amiga or on its own)? ...which one has the best build quality etc etc?

The ones I've seen are...

Play.com:
http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/...s/Product.html

Amigakit:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...96277e0a2a9218

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerplay-Co.../dp/B000J5U09W

I'm not bothered about games really but wanted to know if the sticks are basically the same?

Any help appreciated.

Ta
Old 12 June 2010, 19:58   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Different colors, same stick.
Old 12 June 2010, 20:01   #3
s2325
Zone Friend

It's really stiff, I'm tired after some playing and no trigger button at the top :/
Old 12 June 2010, 21:12   #4
Fragger

Just have a look at the (average - bad) reviews...Speedlink first launched this joystick at the end of 2004 ... i bought one and after 2 weeks it broke.
So best idea is to get that real Competition Pro PC for the gameport, not that crap usb thing.
Old 12 June 2010, 23:14   #5
Harry
HD Installer

I have the black version with the Amiga games pack.
Its nearly like an Amiga Competition Pro, but has 4 different fire buttons (and not, like the Amiga one, 2x button 1 and 2x autofire). For autofire you have to use a switch at the front, which is sometimes unhandy like in Turrican.

Quality seems to be a problem after some use (3 months), two micro switches did only go back to their default position after 2-3 seconds randomly one time every quarter hour when the direction was released, so i exchanged the micro switches for the directions and button 1 with better ones (costing 14 € additionally). Exchanging button micro switches is a bit tricky as they are glued and snapped in, so i changed only the most used button 1.

With that change, the stick works fine again.
Old 12 June 2010, 23:23   #6
Baboon
Moon Monkey

hmmm.. I'm starting to think getting one isn't such a good idea now? lol
Old 12 June 2010, 23:46   #7
Harry
HD Installer

Well, that depends on which alternatives you have and if you are willing to do some craftmanship. I searched a stick which also works under Linux. And honestly, one cannot expect to have built in mircoswitches for 15 € in a 30 € final price stick including a games cd.
Old 13 June 2010, 00:12   #8
EreWeGo

At the moment I just use an adaptor so I can use my "original" joysticks, like my Zipstick, Wico "Bat", TAC-2, Speedking etc. The adaptor I have also allows me to use Sega gamepads, which work great. Here's where I got it from:

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products...egory=Adapters

Old 13 June 2010, 01:28   #9
tero

I'm using an amiga 4 player adapter:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=934
and PPJoy as driver for windows. (beta)
http://ppjoy.blogspot.com/2009/11/fi...w-version.html

works like a sharm for me
Old 13 June 2010, 08:45   #10
Fragger

Best way would be to buy an old Competion Pro for PC / Gameport and the use of a USB / Gameport-Adapter... I guess i will get one and check out if it really works.
Old 13 June 2010, 12:49   #11
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Well, that depends on which alternatives you have and if you are willing to do some craftmanship. I searched a stick which also works under Linux. And honestly, one cannot expect to have built in mircoswitches for 15 € in a 30 € final price stick including a games cd.
On my mac (and linux laptop) it was just plug in, configure in the emulator and play. just as easy as with my Playstation 2 to usb adapter. I have the black and red comp pro speedlink version, and it is LESS stiff than my zipsticks. in fact, it is one of the better of the joysticks I got. The big buttons have got stuck, there the zipstick is better. but the I recall the original having that problem as well.

for the right feel, it is great.
Old 13 June 2010, 13:45   #12
christianlucio

The usb stick has one big disadvantage: it is simply too slow as it checks the position only 12.5 times a second. Many games are unplayable with that.
Old 13 June 2010, 17:55   #13
JohnnyD
Decrepid Old Duffer

The original/old Amiga etc version had mechanical switches. They are akin to relay switches - two metal blades that you push together. My wife has been giving one plenty of stick (arf!) for about 11 years on Galaga - and I only recently had to strip & clean it.

The current version - the ones you link to - have microswitches fitted.

These are supposed to be reliable, but if you are the type who gives their joystick a right bashing, you might like to think about getting some spare microswitches (they are easy enough to swap).

Incidentally, it's quite easy to mod a USB version and put an Amiga/Atari etc lead on it instead.

Oh yeah - the new version also makes a helluva racket with the loud clicking - especially the fire button, if you have no autofire.

JD
Old 13 June 2010, 18:06   #14
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Of course later original CP sticks had micro-switches too. Some complete, some with "metal blades" for the fire-buttons.
Old 19 June 2010, 11:26   #15
plasmatron
Zone Friend

Don`t buy the CP USB, it suxx ! I got around 6 of those over the years, and they all broke after a short amount of time. Rubbish remake of an legendary stick.
I bought myself a RETRO ADAPTER V2 and use my old amiga joysticks with it. It`s fantastic ! Works flawless with Emus. And you can upgrate the adapter for other controllers like PC Engine , NES and all other kinds of classic controllers. Get it here.

http://retro.world3.net/

http://www.wolfsoft.de/shop/advanced...DAPTER&x=0&y=0
Old 19 June 2010, 11:31   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmatron View Post
Don`t buy the CP USB, it suxx ! I got around 6 of those over the years, and they all broke after a short amount of time. Rubbish remake of an legendary stick.
Hmm, except for the lag, I think they are quite up to par with the Amiga version. At least the two I have haven't broken yet and they were put to good use during the last three years
Old 19 June 2010, 12:38   #17
Jope
-

The groove rider clip on the bottom of the shaft flew out on all three of my Comp Pro USBs.. Easy fix, squeeze the clip with pliers and reinsert, but it doesn't really raise the stick's points when you can suddenly pull out the stick while playing.

The manufacturing quality isn't up to par in many other ways either. Two out of three of my sticks had one of the firebutton microswitches misaligned so that you couldn't make contact by pressing the button. Had to realign those manually.

The overall feel isn't as sturdy as the real thing.. It's as if the plastic is thinner or something.
Old 19 June 2010, 19:26   #18
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Well I have ordered one so will let you know how long it lasts once its turns up! lol

For mame I also bought one of these: ...which, after canning for quite a while, I highly recommend (although there are apparently lots of fakes out there).
Old 19 June 2010, 19:31   #19
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yep, the Sega Saturn pad ist great. Which fakes do you mean? Haven't seen any yet. The Saturn USB pad is available in 3 different colors.

edit: 4 colors, light pink too. Nice price.

edit2: Ok, this is indeed a 1:1 clone.

LINK

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 19 June 2010 at 19:38.
Old 19 June 2010, 20:16   #20
JohnnyD
Decrepid Old Duffer

Yeah - I picked up 3 of those from the local cash generator for £1.50 each - all new and boxed!

That was 12 years ago, and I am still on the first one!

JD