English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 May 2017, 02:33   #1
trydowave

USB CF HOST Adapter

Has anyone tried one of these with their A600/A1200?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CFU2-USB-Ho.../dp/B000XJRYYS

I was wondering if it could be used to connect an amiga to a pcs with its vast storage potential rather than copying files from the pc to cf via an adapter and then plugging into the amigas pcmcia port?

Thanks
Old 04 May 2017, 03:22   #2
Ratteler

I would like to know if it canbe used with a CF to IDE adapter so I can use USB thumb drives as Amiga drives.
Old 04 May 2017, 06:09   #3
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratteler View Post
I would like to know if it canbe used with a CF to IDE adapter so I can use USB thumb drives as Amiga drives.
That would be sweet if it worked.
Old 04 May 2017, 08:22   #4
thomas

Using USB storage devices on IDE might work, but I doubt it. According to the description you can connect all kinds of devices to it, not only mass storage. This indicates that the CF part does not work in IDE mode but in CF mode.

It could work in the PCMCIA port, but you still need a driver for it. And probably a full blown USB stack like Poseidon.

Connecting it directly to a PC is even less likely. It's a host adapter. The PC is a host, too. Host-to-host connections are not supported by USB. There are host-to-host USB cables out there, but they are not simple cables but they fake a network device on each end. And again you need a driver for it.

Connecting an Amiga to a PC to share data is much easier with a PCMCIA network card. And such cards still exist as opposed to the above device.
Old 04 May 2017, 09:24   #5
Jope
-

This looks very much like an IO device that plugs into the CF slot. So it will need a driver and a USB stack on the Amiga side. So it won't convert anything to IDE magically. Basically the PCMCIA slot is the place it would plug into, as Thomas said.
Old 05 May 2017, 00:13   #6
trydowave

Thomas. Got a link or any info regarding that PCMCIA network card?
Thanks
Old 05 May 2017, 08:32   #7
thomas

Just any that's supported by one of these drivers:

http://aminet.net/package/driver/net/3c589
http://aminet.net/package/driver/net/cnetdevice

You can even use wifi: http://aminet.net/driver/net/prism2v2.lha

Also search the forum, I am sure there are plenty of threads about PCMCIA networking.
Old 05 May 2017, 15:12   #8
MartinW

Interesting thread. It's my birthday and I did not know what to ask for from someone so I got them to get me a PC to PCB USB cable (the kind that Thomas mentioned). I remember looking it up and drivers exist in Poseiden for the network emulation mode to go between Amiga and Linux. There are no Mac drivers and the Windows drivers operate in an entirely different mode.

My intention is to have a play about and see what I can do with it. I was going to look into writing something for the Mac end and then maybe a bit of software for the Amiga end to operate exclusively with the Mac side. But that's probably a bit ambitious as a first Amiga project! Having said that, from the sample code that I saw, the Mac side didn't look that difficult so if I can get that under my belt first...

If I get anywhere with it then I will post the link to the cable but there's little point until then. It is based on the Prolific PL-25A1 chipset and the manufacturer was very helpful when I asked a couple of pre-sale questions about the cable. I was impressed!