English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 February 2010, 03:20   #1
Photon

KeyRah

I've thought about buying a KeyRah Amiga and a US layout A500/+ keyboard (green capslock led version, with springs). Some questions:

- Can I even connect the KeyRah to the A500 keyboard? What do I need?

- What's the remapping like? Any "showstopper" unmapped but necessary keys? I guess numpad is mapped to PgDn etc, since it says it has a "Daily Windows Use" mode. I want to use it as my main PC keyboard. I don't mind remapping keys and using AutoHotkeys to correct malplaced keys.

- Is it hard to fit inside an A500 case? I don't mind using the Dremel, and I might even try to mod it heavily to make it about normal PC keyboard size

- Any "bad" things about it?
Old 08 February 2010, 10:33   #2
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
- Can I even connect the KeyRah to the A500 keyboard? What do I need?
It will be tight. If your keyboard has only one flat cable to the controller board, it is electrically compatible, but the keyrah board's flat cable connector may be in such a position and orientation, that it doesn't fit. Then you might want to desolder the connector from the keyrah and solder a bunch of wires between it and the keyrah.

Quote:
- Is it hard to fit inside an A500 case? I don't mind using the Dremel, and I might even try to mod it heavily to make it about normal PC keyboard size
That's partially related to the above question. If you take the connector from the keyrah board and put it on the end of some wires, you get to decide where to position the keyrah board yourself.

No idea about the mapping I'm afraid, never tried the Amiga keyrah.. The C-64 one wasn't very nice for general PC use. (surprise)
Old 08 February 2010, 16:38   #3
Photon

Yeah, I wouldn't want to type Ctrl+Alt+numpad keys to get Home/PgUp etc. But as long as it doesn't block me from remapping in Windows all is fine.

"- Can I even connect the KeyRah to the A500 keyboard? What do I need?"
That was mostly a solder/signal question, not a physical/mechanical question. I'll have a look.

Just dawned on me that I can use springy type A1200 keyboards instead. Cos the 'missing chars if typing fast' bug was in the controller only, right?
Old 08 February 2010, 19:12   #4
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Just dawned on me that I can use springy type A1200 keyboards instead. Cos the 'missing chars if typing fast' bug was in the controller only, right?
Yes.
Old 09 February 2010, 14:42   #5
Photon

Actually, all my A500s had springy keyboards, so I'm all set and gonna save some money

Any ideas for how to cut the cases off nicely and perhaps make the slant a little less severe?
Old 09 February 2010, 15:01   #6
Jope
-

Dremel, sandpaper, epoxy glue, bondo, a coat of paint.
Old 09 February 2010, 20:32   #7
Photon

Actually, I think I'll go with the circular table saw this time too. I guess since I cut off the back half I will make the angle slightly better too.
Old 10 February 2010, 22:34   #8
Photon

Cool

After focusing my chi on a Shakti (tm) spike mat and convincing myself that A500s were the root of all evil, thereby temporarily inverting my personality, I took a deep breath and precision karate chopped the case in half.

(Or maybe I took it to a friend with a dulled 2mm circular table saw and turned away in horror as he cleft her in twain. )

After much cursing at the chosen method to attach the A1200 keyboard cable, and replacing one of the wingnuts with an M3 nut because it hit the C128 port, carefully checking that I didn't bend the PCB too much when tightening, I put it all inside the A500 case and sniggered with delight as the keyboard was installed correctly as a HID unit.

All the doubts I had were swept away - it works flawlessly & I couldn't be happier, kudos to Jedi-Jens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hiiya!.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	24247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Keyrah-A1200-in-half-A500.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	24248  
Old 17 February 2010, 02:56   #9
Photon

After extensive testing (and using it as we speak) I must say that Keyrah is lovely and great with only a few flaws, like the method of connecting the ribbon cable, but perhaps more seriously certain Ctrl+Alt+<key> combos that worked with my PC keyboards don't take anymore. But that could be the A1200 keyboard I'm using, of course. Maybe even likely.

All other keycombos I've tried work fine. Worked fine with keyboard registry hacks, WinUAE input panel remappings and Autohotkey (I'm running all three).

I bought mine from GGS-Data in Sweden, they have a good price specifically on the Keyrah.

Verdict: *** HIGHLY RECOMMENDED *** top stuff

Update: Ctrl+Alt combos work, if you bind them to ctrl+win instead.

Last edited by Photon; 19 February 2010 at 16:41.