English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: How many buttons on your controller?
1 14 23.73%
2 19 32.20%
3-6 10 16.95%
7+ 16 27.12%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05 December 2021, 20:29   #1
girv
Mostly Harmless

Game controllers

I think, back in the day, 1-button joysticks were the most common type of controller used on Amigas, but these made certain types of games awkward, like platformers with both jump and fire actionn for example. But these days, how many buttons are on the controller you use the most for Amiga gaming?

Follow up question: would a game that required 2 or more buttons for its control scheme put you off buying it?
Old 05 December 2021, 20:41   #2
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv View Post
I think, back in the day, 1-button joysticks were the most common type of controller used on Amigas, but these made certain types of games awkward, like platformers with both jump and fire actionn for example
Huh? There may be reasons for multiple buttons, for example in a Brawler game, but certainly not for jumping and firing. Most precise jumping can be done with joystick-up as you don't have to coordinate stick and button movements.

Quote:
Follow up question: would a game that required 2 or more buttons for its control scheme put you off buying it?
I cannot remember the location of more than one button in an action game.
Old 05 December 2021, 20:42   #3
girv
Mostly Harmless

Fair enough, I find up to jump very awkward myself. I'm playing something on PC that uses all the buttons and two sticks on a PS4 controller and ... yeah get them mixed up all the time.
Old 05 December 2021, 20:47   #4
Aardvark

Weird poll choices. DB9 supports 3 buttons directly, and CD32 standard is 7 buttons. There's no really 4-6 or 7+.
Old 05 December 2021, 20:53   #5
manossg

I have all sorts of multiple-button controllers, but the one I use the most and prefer by far is a single-button joystick. I detest using a separate button for jumping and I quickly lose interest in such games. So having this as a required control scheme would certainly put me off.

In beat'em ups, though, I like having 2 (or max 3) buttons, but certainly not for jumping.
Old 05 December 2021, 21:04   #6
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Weird poll choices. DB9 supports 3 buttons directly, and CD32 standard is 7 buttons. There's no really 4-6 or 7+.

DB9 on Amiga supports 3, but it's about the controllers. 1 and 2 are common enough, and I thought CD32 was 6 button - 4 buttons + shoulders - whats the other?
Old 05 December 2021, 21:10   #7
Aardvark

Quote:
DB9 on Amiga supports 3, but it's about the controllers. 1 and 2 are common enough, and I thought CD32 was 6 button - 4 buttons + shoulders - whats the other?
Play/Pause button on the center.
Old 05 December 2021, 21:14   #8
girv
Mostly Harmless

Let's not count play/pause for CD32 then.
Old 05 December 2021, 22:08   #9
Torti-the-Smurf

3 Button Mega Drive Joypad
(those with the super smooth D-Pad) with A Button=Up Mod , B=Fire 1 , C=Fire 2

Would not trade it for anything else
Old 05 December 2021, 23:03   #10
nikosidis

I have original joysticks, I have made one myself with 2 button and I have the PS to Amiga adapther so I also have CD32 button support.
Mostly I think 1 button is enough, but 2 button can be sweet. Metal Gear from H0ffman have support for CD32 pad with a lot of buttons that work well.
I just got to have it all
Old 08 December 2021, 02:44   #11
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
@Torti
Such pad must be very fitting, you're a Smurf of taste .

Having said that, I consider for games in which you have to change directions very swiftly e.q. Pac Mac and many games based on respond time, a joystick is recommended. The same could be said about VS games of course, but depends on how long you've been practicing with a gamepad in hand. Those of my acquaintances who have been playing to death Tekken, Soulblade etc. on PS consoles kick my ass, but I used to beat them at N64 Killer Instinct, 'cause I had learned the patterns and 'cause the pad bears handles.
Generally speaking, among the most popular console joypads, I like the one with well-defined handles, think Saturn / Sidewinder VS the SNES one.
I didn't vote as of yet, reason being, I currently have a third party Mega Drive joypad plugged in on my Amiga, though that's just for a quick play or two. When I am about to play a handful of games with a little more dedication, I am pretty sure I'll be using a 2-button joysticks most of the times.
Old 08 December 2021, 12:07   #12
Wachi

Old 08 December 2021, 13:49   #13
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

That arcade pad looks amazing.
Old 08 December 2021, 19:31   #14
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Let's not count play/pause for CD32 then.
Some games use this button for option different than pause, so give me logic reason why?
As Aardvark said poll have weird choices.
Also similar poll was made earlier this year. These are real options for Amiga.

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 13 December 2021 at 07:23.
Old 09 December 2021, 01:23   #15
Mixel

I've almost always used a 2 button stick, back in the day quickshot python, nowadays ArcadeR sticks.
Old 09 December 2021, 16:13   #16
Superman

All my joysticks have always had 2 buttons but they were not independant so did the same function depending on if you were left or right handed.

I can't recall any games that needed more than one button from back in the day either.
Old 12 December 2021, 15:29   #17
Jope
-

Single button joystick for me.. Up to jump is only a problem if your controller doesn't have crisp directions.
Old 12 December 2021, 16:00   #18
skyzoo73

I have various classic 1-button joysticks (albatros, tac2, etc), but honestly I have always considered this one of the Commodore's weaknesses, which limited the possibilities in games. It pays to me nowadays to have a controller with multiple keys, preferably a compatible CD32, even if there aren't many games that take advantage of it. At least we can hope that the new productions will orient themselves in supporting this type of controller, which in my humble opinion can greatly increase the usability of certain games. Lately I got 2 KTRL32 + joypads from a user here on EAB and I have to say that since I own them the other joysticks have been gathering dust.
Old 12 December 2021, 17:27   #19
Jami
Bruno

I have got a brand new megadrive 6 buttons pad -- the blue one licensed by retro-bit.
The D-pad is very precise, perfect for platformer !

I also have bought a second hand Konix Speedking with 3 buttons recently but I prefer the Megadrive pad. With the speedking, you have to push hard on the stick and the buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf View Post
3 Button Mega Drive Joypad
(those with the super smooth D-Pad) with A Button=Up Mod , B=Fire 1 , C=Fire 2
Nice ! How can I mod mine ?
Old 12 December 2021, 19:34   #20
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The Mega Drive 3-button D-pad was never smooth, and it's sharp edged too. It's much better on the official 6-button Sega Controller. Also on the 8bitdo M30 and the newer Retrobit controllers. Works great with a CD32 controller adapter on my A1200.